PDA

View Full Version : Action screw spacing for the Dual port Model 12 Benchrest action

Raydee38
03-17-2023, 06:34 AM
I just picked up a nice custom stock made for a Savage action and wanted to see what action screw spacing the 308 or 6BR Model 12 dual port benchrest rifle uses? I can't find any actions right now so I may end up buying the whole rifle and just for the action and selling off the barrel and stock.

pdog06
03-17-2023, 07:20 AM
Here is what I found on the Northland Shooter Supply website. As you can see the dual port comes in both the 3.4 and 4.4 action screw spacing, but it looks like one with a 6br or 308 would be a 4.4 spacing. So if you find a used action or rifle to buy you would just have to confirm it matches your stock that you already have.

—————————————————

Action Configuration Options and Cost:

Cost: TEMPORARILY SOLD OUT
Right Bolt - Dual Port
Large Shank
.308 Bolt Face
AccuTrigger
Trigger Guard
4.41 Action Screw Spacing
Designated Action

Cost: TEMPORARILY SOLD OUT
Right Bolt - Dual Port
Large Shank
.223 Bolt Face
AccuTrigger
Trigger Guard
3.44 Action Screw Spacing

Robinhood
03-17-2023, 10:40 AM
So if you find a used action or rifle to buy you would just have to confirm it matches your stock that you already have.

Pretty much sums it up.

Is the custom stock you purchased set up for a magazine/2 action screws or 3 action screws. In pdog06 post it shows you the 2 spacings for 3 screw actions. The more modern repeater actions also utilize the 4.4 spacing where the older repeater models use a 4.27 spacing.

You may have left the most important information out of the OP. What screw spacing does "Your Custom Stock" have? Is it designed for a magazine or three action screws. There is a difference. Much easier to give you sound advice from there.

Raydee38
03-18-2023, 06:13 AM
Pretty much sums it up.

Is the custom stock you purchased set up for a magazine/2 action screws or 3 action screws. In pdog06 post it shows you the 2 spacings for 3 screw actions. The more modern repeater actions also utilize the 4.4 spacing where the older repeater models use a 4.27 spacing.

You may have left the most important information out of the OP. What screw spacing does "Your Custom Stock" have? Is it designed for a magazine or three action screws. There is a difference. Much easier to give you sound advice from there.

The stock I bought is for a 3 screw target action with 4.4" spacing and single shot. I already own three model 12 target action repeaters with two screws and a 4.4" spacing with one being converted to single shot with a 3D printed cap on the bottom of the action but I would like to get a dual port, single shot target action for this new stock I bought which may be hard to do.

I emailed James at Northland and the response I received was this:
"They no longer make the F-Class stock with the 4.4” spacing. Around 2-3 years ago they switched to all 3.44” spacing on all their benchrest rifles including the F-Class". So it looks like I am going to have to try to find an older action if I want the dual port with the older 4.4" spacing.

sharpshooter
03-18-2023, 09:29 PM
Re-drill the action to match the stock.

Raydee38
03-19-2023, 05:04 AM
Re-drill the action to match the stock.
Yes that is always an option and I see others have done it.

Nor Cal Mikie
03-19-2023, 08:10 AM
What Raydee38 said. :cool: