PDA

View Full Version : stocks with 4.27 screw spacing

engnman
03-10-2023, 09:18 AM
I have a mod 11 .308 with the 4.27 spacing and I want a hunting type stock to replace the factory, what are my options? Don't want to break the bank.
Thanks

Dave Hoback
03-10-2023, 11:18 AM
Choate, Boyd’s & I believe Bell & Carlson all have options that aren’t crazy price. What is it you are looking for? Do you have synthetic & want to switch to wood, or have wood & looking to switch to synthetic? I’m just curious as to why you want a new stock?

Also, what is your budget? There are different views of breaking the bank.

engnman
03-10-2023, 01:04 PM
Rifle had standard barrel, factory stock. I have a varmint weight barrel so will need a larger barrel channel. I will be carrying and hunting with this rifle. Probably $300 would do the job. A sporter style is what I have in mind.

Dave Hoback
03-10-2023, 01:55 PM
Is your current stock wood or polymer? And which do want the new stock in wood or polymer? Also, your rifle is the older Staggerfeed and Blind, right? Or is it newer? Or, what system would you like it to be if switching?

By the way, you can open up the barrel channel yourself if you’d rather save the money. A dowel rod and sand paper makes pretty quick work of it.

pdog06
03-10-2023, 01:56 PM
I’m assuming you want to upgrade with an aftermarket stock, but if not I think I may have a factory 4.27 synthetic stock with varmint barrel channel. I will check when I get home from work to make sure it’s a varmint barrel channel.

If you’re wanting to upgrade, and we all wanna upgrade, then the ones Dave mentions are good places to start although Choate probably isn’t the style you’re looking for.
Boyd’s has a lot of different styles and are very reasonable but would be best to have pillars installed in them if it doesn’t have them.
B&C used to have a duramax stock that is perfect for what you want but is no longer made for some odd reason.
Another one to try is Stockys Gunstocks. They have a few different styles and are similar to Boyd’s, but not sure what they still make for that action.

Dave Hoback
03-10-2023, 03:02 PM
Welk, the problem is it’s difficult to find a stock with all the parameters you’re looking for. For instance, the Boyd’s stocks don’t have Bull Barrel in the Classic style stock. You need to use their Varmint or other styles for the Bull Barrel channel. If you want the Classic style it will require opening the barrel channel yourself. Which, as I pointed out is not difficult. But if you want to change simply to have a drop in stock for your new Bull Barrel, the point is moot. You could simply open up your factory stock’s barrel channel & save the money. But if you want change as an upgrade, just bare in mind, some modification is routine with aftermarket stocks.

KMW1954
03-10-2023, 04:25 PM

Something like this? This is a Boyds Thumbhole Varmint

engnman
03-10-2023, 07:20 PM
Right on with the stagger and blind. Its the factory stock you can twist the front with your hand! I just want a stiffer, stable stock to replace the factory one.I can stiffen the factory and have already bedded the action, opening the channel is easy, just want to know what's out there from the Savage brain trust. Don't have a problem with with feed as it is only going to be used as a hunting rifle, if I need more than 2 its over!!!

Dave Hoback
03-10-2023, 08:27 PM
Boyd’s or Choate are your best choices. But like I said, you’ll probably need to sacrifice it being a Classic style for favor of the Bull barrel channel, or vice versa & open the channel yourself. There may be another option that someone more knowledgeable in stocks may know of. I’m much more a Chassis guy.

Robinhood
03-11-2023, 01:15 AM
Boyds has 5 stocks for a staggerfeed(4.27), blind mag, bull barrel. 3 are thumbhole stocks. 2 have an adjustable cheek piece. Good luck.

engnman
03-11-2023, 09:56 AM
Thanks
Starting my research.

pdog06
03-11-2023, 11:32 AM
Forgot to mention that Stockys also sells HS Precision stocks which are very good but a little more money if you buy it new. The PSV-102 would fit your setup.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-precision-pro-series-2000-savage-10fp-12-target-varmint-tactical-single-shot-repeater-stocks-psv-102-106-118-121.html

Another option is to post a want to buy ad in our classifieds and/ or on any other sites you frequent. The Savage rifle is a tinkering man’s rifle, so there’s no telling what some of us might have sitting around not being used.

Dave Hoback
03-11-2023, 12:28 PM
Forgot to mention that Stockys also sells HS Precision stocks which are very good but a little more money if you buy it new. The PSV-102 would fit your setup.

https://www.stockysstocks.com/h-s-precision-pro-series-2000-savage-10fp-12-target-varmint-tactical-single-shot-repeater-stocks-psv-102-106-118-121.html

Another option is to post a want to buy ad in our classifieds and/ or on any other sites you frequent. The Savage rifle is a tinkering man’s rifle, so there’s no telling what some of us might have sitting around not being used.

Great find pdog! That would certainly be my choice if I was interested in a more classic looking stock. Has the stiffness of a Chassis & a decent price. If you can swing the extra coin engnman, that is a great option.

Robinhood
03-11-2023, 12:54 PM
Another option is to post a want to buy ad in our classifieds and/ or on any other sites you frequent. The Savage rifle is a tinkering man’s rifle, so there’s no telling what some of us might have sitting around not being used.Always a good idea. There are also other forums that have classifieds where Savages are popular.

kwarw1
03-16-2023, 12:19 AM
I was Looking around on Numerich this week and used the search feature Savage short action stock they had 4-5 that I saw stating 4.27". I do not remember the barrel channel but wood and nice and under $200 I do recall.

Opening the channel is a two beer job! get a 90 degree electrical conduit 3/4"maybe 1", sand paper assortment some tape, some patience and your favorite beverage. mask off the edges, sand,fit,sip,sand fit sip. if you get irritated set it down sip or gulp. continue until you can slip a dollar bill clear to the rear of barrel nut. then I would at least bed the recoil lug area. A light coat of stain to seal it up. Done.
That's how I do it, good luck.