PDA

View Full Version : Bushnell Elite 2-6x Handgun with Firefly reticle

Ed K
03-09-2023, 08:24 PM
Back in the day [meaning (1) back when pistol scopes were readily available and (2) back on the SP forum], I seem to remember scopes with this reticle were universally hated. At the time I never took note of precisely why. The group was heavily oriented towards longer range shooting and shooting for groups rested on a bench. So was the heavy reticle scorned more by those users or did even typical big game handgun hunters have a similar opinion? And apart from "back in the day" any comments in the present are also welcome.

I like my older Burris fixed power, fine reticle target scopes as much as the next guy but that doesn't mean I want to hunt with them at the margins of daylight.

BobT
03-10-2023, 07:00 PM
I have one of those old Elite 3200 Firefly 2-6 scopes Ed, I bought it from an old gentleman at a gun show. The reticle is indeed thick but I intend to try it on one of my hunting barrels at some point, it has beautifully clear optics and I could see it being useful in the thick stuff at the closer ranges involved.

Gman628
03-10-2023, 08:44 PM
I had on about ten years ago and couldn't get use to looking through a couple of 2x4's so I sent it in and they replaced it with a scope with thin cross hairs. I hunt out of a blind on the edge of a field, so not as dark at first and last light as for someone that's sitting in the woods.

BT
03-10-2023, 11:28 PM
Were these fiber optic crosshairs?

KYODE
03-11-2023, 12:11 AM
Seems like I remember those selling for $100 at one point? Probably on clearance at that time.

Ed K
03-11-2023, 08:23 AM

They are some type of phosphorescent material that when hit with a light source glow for an amount of time supposedly giving a better sight picture at first and last light.

BobT
03-11-2023, 09:00 AM

I'll try to remember to bring it along next time we shoot Chris, it's similar to a duplex style reticle except the bigger section of the crosshair is really thick and the center section is thick as well. Precision shooting would really be tough with this scope but I think it would serve for limited hunting applications. Only the outer section of the reticle glows when you hit it with a light. The fellow I bought it from thought it took batteries and offered it at $150.00 I think, I showed him how it worked and he asked if I would give him $200.00, he had a pile of old steel tube Weavers and I ended up making a deal for all of them.

gemihur
03-11-2023, 09:04 AM
Using a handheld flashlight, you shine it into the scope to 'charge' it and the stout crosshairs illuminate for some time thereafter.
In low-level light this allows for extended shooting time for about 15 to 20 minutes.
I have a 3200 Firefly on a carbine contender
Crude yet effective

Gman628
03-11-2023, 11:16 AM

Think of the hands on a glow in the dark Timex watch, the scopes came with a light source (tiny flashlight) to energize them, but any light source available would work.

BT
03-11-2023, 01:29 PM
I was way off in my thinking back when they were still available. Evidently I was assuming they had a lighted dot in the center of the duplex. I was never interested in the Firefly anyway. The standard Elite 3200 is a nice scope, though, in my opinion.

FyrepowrX
03-13-2023, 12:39 PM
I had the rifle version on a 30/30 contender carbine for a while; i liked it as i tend to prefer heavier reticles since most of my hunting is usually in timber. They were good reliable glass.