PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis barrel swap

SHULL
03-07-2023, 09:06 PM
I’ve recently swapped my axis barrel to a 110 high country barrel. I’ve already sanded the stock down but I can’t get the action to bolt to the stock. Do I need to keep sanding?

Robinhood
03-07-2023, 09:35 PM
The action should fit. If the barrel still hold the action away from the bed you need to keep sanding.

SHULL
03-07-2023, 09:58 PM
I can get the short bolt in the front in, but not the back long one so off to sanding I go

Robinhood
03-07-2023, 10:00 PM
Now try to slide a piece of printer paper around the barel and see if it slides from one end to the other. IF it stops, you need to keep sanding. Use that as a barometer for fit until the action is firmly seated and the barrel allows the paper to slide under the barrel all the way down.

What are you using with the sandpaper to open the barrel channel?

Blue Avenger
03-08-2023, 10:16 AM
Umm. i confused. (normal condition) The Back screw will not reach? That would not normally be the barrel holding things up if the front screw reaches , would it. I do not own an Axis but do not imagine it is much different then a 110.

charlie b
03-08-2023, 12:17 PM
The Axis is a bit weird in the back with that block to deal with.

When fitting it should go in straight down, not tilted. Both bolts should engage easily.

There should be no sanding past where the barrel nut fits. Only sand forward of that point. Do what Robin said with the paper. Slide it between barrel and stock to see where it 'sticks'. Sand that area some more.

Be sure to use a dowel to wrap the sandpaper around. I'd use a 1" dia just to leave the channel a bit big.