PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on aftermarket or OEM stocks/chassis

nksmfamjp
03-06-2023, 12:03 PM
So, I have a custom rifle built on a Savage 12 blind mag rifle in 300 WSM from about 2003. When I say custom, I mean:

Action T&T
Action modified to feed 2.98” rounds from AICS mags
Jard Centerfire Trigger System set to 12oz, I think
straight slightly longer bolt handle
TPS one piece base and rings
SSS recoil lug
Rock Creek 300 WSM (Chambered by SSS) 26” Rem Varmint profile large nut
MBM Brake

It was in an MDT LSS XL and their buttstock, but that didn’t really suit me. I much prefer something a bit more stock-like. I’m thinking about doing the KRG Bravo in green, but…... I have another Bravo that shoots and fits great.

Basically, I’d like something:
Stock shaped
adjustable cheekpiece
14” lop or adjustable
ARCA rail up front

I’m slightly budget limited in that I need it under $900 taxed and shipped, ready to go. So, what all should I be looking at?

Also, any tips on finding ADG brass for this beast?

…..or do I blow this up and make a 6.5 PRC! This isn’t very likely. The barrel I have has shot some nice groups on occasion, so I think there is opportunity here. Besides another build is too much stress right now!

letrbuck
03-06-2023, 12:53 PM
Perhaps the magpul hunter stock? Already set up for ai mags, but I'm unsure if they accept all AI pattern magazines

Dave Hoback
03-06-2023, 01:43 PM
Either the KRG Bravo, or the Woox Exactus. https://wooxstore.com/collections/chassis-precision-stock/products/exactus-precision-stock

Unfortunately you’re not going to find ADG 300WSM brass anytime soon. I contacted Atlas awhile ago about 260 Rem brass & they shared with me they are spending 2023 replenishing the heavy magnum stocks & at the end of the year they will decide on the next manufacturing. So if it’s not in stock now, don’t expect it to be for at least a year! You could go 6.5PRC but then you’re rechambering, for the sake of a brass preference. Not a wise decision in my book, but your call.

Everything your sitting on to this point sounds great! Sounds like you’re another nut-job like me who will invest considerably into a Savage. Good on ya brother!:tea:

Edit: glanced over it’s a SA at first.

Dave Hoback
03-06-2023, 01:56 PM
Also the MDT XRS. https://mdttac.com/xrs-chassis-system/

Robinhood
03-06-2023, 02:07 PM
Waiting to hear a review on the Bravo

nksmfamjp
03-07-2023, 04:13 PM
Either the KRG Bravo, or the Woox Exactus. https://wooxstore.com/collections/chassis-precision-stock/products/exactus-precision-stock

Unfortunately you’re not going to find ADG 300WSM brass anytime soon. I contacted Atlas awhile ago about 260 Rem brass & they shared with me they are spending 2023 replenishing the heavy magnum stocks & at the end of the year they will decide on the next manufacturing. So if it’s not in stock now, don’t expect it to be for at least a year! You could go 6.5PRC but then you’re rechambering, for the sake of a brass preference. Not a wise decision in my book, but your call.

Everything your sitting on to this point sounds great! Sounds like you’re another nut-job like me who will invest considerably into a Savage. Good on ya brother!:tea:

Edit: glanced over it’s a SA at first.

Thats interesting. Several folks are reporting February end as the timing for ADG to run a big load of 300 WSM. Since Norma just sold off a pile, maybe the ADG will last a few days!

Waiting to hear a review on the Bravo PM me and I’ll tell you whatever you want about the one for my 700 LA. It is a great stock. Rock solid, reasonable weight, rides the bags well, heavy enough in the rear to balance a decent size barrel.

Dave Hoback
03-07-2023, 04:47 PM
It would be nice if what I was told is wrong. So here’s hoping!

Robinhood
03-07-2023, 09:42 PM
PM me and I’ll tell you whatever you want about the one for my 700 LA. It is a great stock. Rock solid, reasonable weight, rides the bags well, heavy enough in the rear to balance a decent size barrel.

I have a m700 Bravio also. I ran into a problem with the straight sided recoil lugs with the early model. I think they fixed that. Hopefully they made the Savage Bravo to work with all recouil lugs too. I was thinking there are some differences in the pannels for the Savage model.

Cheers

want2ride
03-07-2023, 10:16 PM
I don't have a lot of input on stocks, since i have only the LSS XL and a magpul hunter stock on my only two custom actions and none on my stock actions.

BUT, having both 300 WSM and 6.5 PRC, i run hunting rounds through the 300 WSM in savage Bear Hunter a 300 WSM in a Savage Ultralite and a Bighorn with a 24" Prooof Carbon barrel in 6.5 PRC. Those 3 rifles are 3 of my most accurate, and i would have a hard time ever getting totally divested out of a 300 WSM. BUT even shooting a 212 ELD-X at 2800 and 2840 FPS for the two 300 WSM's the 6.5 PRC has a pretty huge advantage in the wind shooting a 147 ELD-M or 145 Match Burner at 3050 FPS. 1.56 compared to 1.29 mils with a 10 MPH crosswind at 1000. It just makes it a lot easier on a windy day on the 700 to 1100 yard targets. I really like having both, and they both have their place.

nksmfamjp
03-22-2023, 08:28 PM
Well, I bought the KRG and i have the Jard trigger. It doesn’t fit with the trigger on! Crap! I think I’ll get the dremel out and move some aluminum.

Dave Hoback
03-22-2023, 08:35 PM
That’s all.. Just remove the metal in the way.