PDA

View Full Version : Used Savage Model 12 F/TR

Pages : 1 [2]

PhilC
03-07-2023, 10:07 AM
For barrel stuff I just went to Northland Shooter Supply. They are great folks and will make sure you have what you need.

I got my action vise from NSS (and nut wrench, a new nut and go/no-go gages). I also bought my Shilen barrel from them.
Same here on both counts - very nice people to work with.

vince_ross
03-07-2023, 12:12 PM
Just measure between the centers. Don’t know off the top of my head, but it does look like one of the Actions with 3.440” screw spacing. And someone just had a brake installed. But the shorter screw spacing only matters for locating a new stock; which is mute being it already has a very good option.

Thank you for that! I've never had a rifle with a 3 bolt action, I have read about tuning the rifle with different torque settings to find a "sweet spot" for accuracy. I've done that with my other rifles.
I do like the looks of the stock, I'm looking forward to trying this out. I don't plan on changing the stock. I will need to order a scope base rail for it though. Anyone know if this takes a short or long action type and screw size? I have a few that are 6-48 and some that are 8-40.

Thanks again for everyone's help and all of the information, I've been trying to learn all I can about these rifles.

Robinhood
03-07-2023, 01:05 PM
I had to put a new hole in a 3.44 screw spaced action to put it in a better stock. At that point it was less valuable. I have never had that issue with a 4.4. I did end up drilling out a LRPV stock to 4.4 for my grandaughters F class rifle.

Dave Hoback
03-07-2023, 02:42 PM
Vince, it uses a Short Action, Round-Rear type rail. Best to wait until you have it and verify the screw size yourself.

Some believe in playing with screw torque settings. I am not among them. I believe in stock Creep only, which can cause strange things. The stiffer the stock material, the less Creep is a factor. The F T/R uses pillar mounts. So it is quite stiff. Bedding would further enhance it. No harm in playing withTorque settings of course. I just think it’s better served in reloading.

vince_ross
03-08-2023, 04:25 PM
Vince, it uses a Short Action, Round-Rear type rail. Best to wait until you have it and verify the screw size yourself.

Some believe in playing with screw torque settings. I am not among them. I believe in stock Creep only, which can cause strange things. The stiffer the stock material, the less Creep is a factor. The F T/R uses pillar mounts. So it is quite stiff. Bedding would further enhance it. No harm in playing withTorque settings of course. I just think it’s better served in reloading.

Thanks for the information Dave, I'm hoping to be able to pick this up by Saturday so I'll find out soon. The plan is, to just go through and clean everything, make sure everything is tight to spec, put a scope on it and just see how it shoots. I'm really excited to try this out. I recently picked up another model 12FV with a Boyd's stock from a local gun show, and it shot a .5 MOA group with 7 out of 10 different OTS ammo brands. I'm happy with that one also.

Dave Hoback
03-08-2023, 07:24 PM
Sounds good. I’ll bet you’re going to be quite happy with the results.

vince_ross
03-11-2023, 11:41 PM
I was finally able to go pick up the rifle. I must say, this thing has a lot more heft to it than I expected, which is great! It was in very good shape as far as appearances go and seems like it was well taken care of. I ran a few patches through it, and it was pretty darn clean...the rifling looks good and the bolt looks really good, smooth cycle etc.. Whoever made the brake did a very nice job, and it looks like they only turned down what needed to be done on the barrel to add the threading and didn't shorten it at all.

Now, if the weather will just cooperate with me for a range day....

https://ohiovalleyphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p1545481308-3.jpg

Dave Hoback
03-12-2023, 01:04 AM
Excellent. Congrats! Very glad you are so happy with your purchase, thus far, and wish you more of the same upon shooting my friend.

Oh yeah… it sure does have some weight. Tips the scales a little over 12.6lbs I think. I have my Model 10 bench gun sitting just about 15lbs. fully decked out in the picture below. And it’s a beast. I like the weight though.

vince_ross
03-12-2023, 05:40 PM
Excellent. Congrats! Very glad you are so happy with your purchase, thus far, and wish you more of the same upon shooting my friend.

Oh yeah… it sure does have some weight. Tips the scales a little over 12.6lbs I think. I have my Model 10 bench gun sitting just about 15lbs. fully decked out in the picture below. And it’s a beast. I like the weight though.

That's a sweet looking rifle! I bet it's a tack driver too.

I've had too much stuff to finish up around the house today to get to the range, so I'm gonna wait to go shoot....Hopefully I'll be able to go next weekend.

Thanks to all of my new Savage Shooters friends for all the information sent my way. I'm sure I'll have a lot more questions.

Palmafiddleman
03-15-2023, 06:21 PM
Beautiful rifle and I will bet it shoots great. If you actually plan to use it in F-TR competition you will probably have to remove the break for the match. My club matches do not allow them for the obvious reason you shoot in close proximity to other competitors who might not appreciate what the muzzle break does to their concentration. Anyway very nice rifle. Congratulations

vince_ross
03-15-2023, 10:11 PM
Beautiful rifle and I will bet it shoots great. If you actually plan to use it in F-TR competition you will probably have to remove the break for the match. My club matches do not allow them for the obvious reason you shoot in close proximity to other competitors who might not appreciate what the muzzle break does to their concentration. Anyway very nice rifle. Congratulations

Thanks! I passed one up like it a few years ago, and I've been kicking myself ever since.
Yeah, I can imagine pissing some people off real quick using that brake. I plan on getting a thread protector for it just in case. I might ask a local gunsmith to make one that matches the barrel for me, if I can't find one I like.

Dave Hoback
03-15-2023, 11:30 PM
I agree. Never liked muzzle brakes much. They just aren’t needed on most popular calibers. To me, the noise & BLAST increase aren’t worth it. Only time I ever used one was on my first short barrel AR15 in 223, in like 2007. Lasted 2 magazines & came right off! It was one of those YHM Phantom Comp/Brakes & Good-GOLLY was that thing insane! Never again.

Texas Solo
03-16-2023, 10:59 AM
I recently bought a 12 FTR in 308 new in box. Paid $1300. I've only had it out to 300yds so far, but it did sub moa at 300. I love this rifle!
Assuming you reload, check the chamber carefully. Many Savages have short/tight chambers. My bolt has hard to close on factory ammo or any new brass. Now I bump the shoulder .003" and it's perfect.
You would think the 30" 1/12 twist would like 155's, but mine will only shoot moa with 155. I get 1/2 moa at 100yd with 168's, 44.0 RL15.
Also found that -020" is the sweet spot for seating depth.

Palmafiddleman
03-16-2023, 11:39 AM
Vince, the thread protector is great idea. Have fun with the rifle.

Palmafiddleman
03-16-2023, 11:45 AM
I recently bought a 12 FTR in 308 new in box. Paid $1300. I've only had it out to 300yds so far, but it did sub moa at 300. I love this rifle!
Assuming you reload, check the chamber carefully. Many Savages have short/tight chambers. My bolt has hard to close on factory ammo or any new brass. Now I bump the shoulder .003" and it's perfect.
You would think the 30" 1/12 twist would like 155's, but mine will only shoot moa with 155. I get 1/2 moa at 100yd with 168's, 44.0 RL15.

Yeah, I was also surprised about twist and the 155's. I have a 110 with a 1:10 twist 30" barrel and it loves the 155's as much as the heavies (175-190's). On the other hand I also have a 12 target action Palma with 1:13 30" barrel that shoots the 178 ELD's as good as the 155 class of bullits.

charlie b
03-16-2023, 07:32 PM
It is a bit interesting. My 12BVSS with 1:10 26" barrel likes the 155's and barely tolerates the 168's. It is really picky about the 175's. Off a bit on the load either way and it falls apart. But, the right load and it works great. Now days all it sees are cast, usually 210's :)

Blue Avenger
03-16-2023, 09:01 PM
Awesome! Thank you for the information....I will look at those. Are most 2 lug action wrenches the same? I mean, will I need to order one specifically for a model 12, or will one for "savage action" fit all?

Such as this: https://patriotvalleyarms.com/bighorn-remington-savage-action-wrench/

I think Slim is talking more External Action Vice than Internal action wrench. Some nuts are Very Tight and will bend an internal wrench that just contacts the internal lugs Possibly causing damage to them.

vince_ross
03-16-2023, 11:03 PM

Yes, I do reload....I will definitely keep an eye on that, thanks. I have a Rem 700 that has a very tight chamber, I have to be really careful with the ammo I fire through it.
I have 3 other 308's and they all seem to like a 168gr bullet.

Yeah, I was also surprised about twist and the 155's. I have a 110 with a 1:10 twist 30" barrel and it loves the 155's as much as the heavies (175-190's). On the other hand I also have a 12 target action Palma with 1:13 30" barrel that shoots the 178 ELD's as good as the 155 class of bullits.

It is a bit interesting. My 12BVSS with 1:10 26" barrel likes the 155's and barely tolerates the 168's. It is really picky about the 175's. Off a bit on the load either way and it falls apart. But, the right load and it works great. Now days all it sees are cast, usually 210's :)

It'll be interesting to see what this rifle likes...I do have quite the selection of bullets to try.

I think Slim is talking more External Action Vice than Internal action wrench. Some nuts are Very Tight and will bend an internal wrench that just contacts the internal lugs Possibly causing damage to them.

I ended up ordering a 2-lug internal action wrench, an external action vise and a Savage barrel nut wrench just to start a decent collection of tools.

I did end up getting a Anschutz rail to Arca rail adapter from Altus Shooting Solutions so I can use an Arca rail bipod I already have.
https://ohiovalleyphotography.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-10/p1558954481-3.jpg

Dave Hoback
03-17-2023, 05:26 AM
Vince… you are on your way brother.:tea: Smart purchases. Great looking rail! Should work quite well. It’s encouraging to see others having so much fun their Savage, and actually taking pride in it.http://www.savageshooters.com/blob:https://www.savageshooters.com/c18343de-2c96-4f80-8da0-a27375eb360b :thumb: