PDA

View Full Version : 110 with integrated weaver mounts.

Cornbread
03-01-2023, 08:29 PM
So I have one of those late 80’s 110’s with the weaver mounts on the receiver. I understand some of these were cast as one piece with the action and some were brazed or soldered on. Anyway to tell for sure? It’s not obvious by looking at it.

Dave Hoback
03-01-2023, 08:57 PM
Should be able to tell. Here’s the article on it here. https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?509-Cast-Savage-110-Actions-Yes-They-Do-Exist!

Apparently Fred came across only one Receiver with the bases brazed on & one with them spot welded. The difference in them & casting is easy to spot by a trained eye. Post pics if you’re unsure.

Cornbread
03-01-2023, 09:53 PM
Should be able to tell. Here’s the article on it here. https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?509-Cast-Savage-110-Actions-Yes-They-Do-Exist!

Apparently Fred came across only one Receiver with the bases brazed on & one with them spot welded. The difference in them & casting is easy to spot by a trained eye. Post pics if you’re unsure.
yes looking at the picture in the other post you can tell it is cast. This doesnt look like it. I may just roll with it as long as I can get the scope where I need it. If not whats the best way to remove them?

Dave Hoback
03-01-2023, 11:34 PM
Yes, that certainly looks to be brazed. Wow! You’ve got a rare breed there!

Best way to remove them? No! Do not do that. Don’t try to modify, change, and above all do NOT remove anything. Shoot it for what it is. If you need further performance, look to another Savage. What you have is a collector’s piece. It’s a piece of Savage history. Now, I’m not a collector but I do appreciate it. There are collectors who would truly appreciate it and pay. For those looking for performance it’s been warned to stay away from the Cast Receivers.

Cornbread
03-02-2023, 06:11 PM
Yes, that certainly looks to be brazed. Wow! You’ve got a rare breed there!

Best way to remove them? No! Do not do that. Don’t try to modify, change, and above all do NOT remove anything. Shoot it for what it is. If you need further performance, look to another Savage. What you have is a collector’s piece. It’s a piece of Savage history. Now, I’m not a collector but I do appreciate it. There are collectors who would truly appreciate it and pay. For those looking for performance it’s been warned to stay away from the Cast Receivers.

I dont think receiver is cast just the mounts are braised on. The bigger problem I have is the NSS action wrench wont fit with the bases on. I may have to use a rear action wrench that goes through the action.

Dave Hoback
03-02-2023, 07:09 PM
Your picture certainly looks like a Casting. It’s not a very clear pic & only a small portion, but if I was getting, my money would be on it being Cast. Those are the only Savage Receivers I’ve ever heard of having included mounts. How about the Recoil Lug? Does yours have one as part of the Receiver as well?

Cornbread
03-02-2023, 08:50 PM
Your picture certainly looks like a Casting. It’s not a very clear pic & only a small portion, but if I was getting, my money would be on it being Cast. Those are the only Savage Receivers I’ve ever heard of having included mounts. How about the Recoil Lug? Does yours have one as part of the Receiver as well?
No it’s not and the cast ones like I see in the picture above that was linked you can clearly see the mounts cast into the receiver. So if the mounts are not cast into the receiver I doubt the receiver is cast.

Dave Hoback
03-02-2023, 09:16 PM
It could still be cast. You didn’t read the entire article I posted. Look at the pic below.. the portion I circled in red. Or click back on the article & scroll down. Also, not all the Cast Receivers had the are oil Lug.

https://i.ibb.co/yBDf3xQ/D673-E93-B-2730-4437-B2-E9-583-F8-B2-BC0-DA.jpg (https://ibb.co/0VkDwzG)

Cornbread
03-02-2023, 09:28 PM

just curios if they welded the mounts on non cast receivers after 89. Just looking at it doesnt look like a cast piece.

Cornbread
03-02-2023, 09:48 PM
Based on my serial number it was made in 1990. I believe they stopped casting in 89.