PDA

View Full Version : SSK wants me broke ;) .... .375Whisper Carbine

FyrepowrX
02-27-2023, 06:08 PM
so, in digging around on SSK's barrel ordering program, i always seem to notice interesting & different things that might just be cool.

Have a couple hundred pieces of 7mmBR brass that has been sitting here for years, i tried a brief jaunt with XP's and found that for the most part
i prefer contenders, in pistol or carbine format. So, what to do with a pile of 7BR? Some time ago i bought a cheap Rem700 in .243 to use as a donor build for something...just never decided what. The 7BR did cross my mind for that...actually still considering it, in fact.

But in nosing around on the SSK barrel configurator, i notice they'll do the .375whisper for contenders. (7BR necked up to .375).

So, i already have brass. And, they have load data. And they had dies. And, i have some cool bullets from experimenting with the .375win, and .375JDJ, in both pistol tubes & carbine length...specifically, the Lehigh Defense Controlled Fracturing, which i found to be incredibly destructive at 375JDJ carbine speeds, and the barnes 210gr X bullets, which seemed to hold up better. And, it uses all the powders i have a lot of...and i got a spare smallish scope or 2...see where this is leading?

Ordered an 18" carbine barrel in .375whisper yesterday, last few barrels have all been about 8 weeks or so to arrive...will see how this one pans out.

This T/C thing...Warren Center was a sneaky racsal.

Bobby Tomek
02-27-2023, 08:04 PM
:smile-new::smile-new::smile-new:

Yep...he got us hooked on TCs...and there is no relief in sight ha ha. Be sure and post a picture when you form/load the brass for it.

Slowpoke Slim
02-27-2023, 08:59 PM
I'm just thankful no one has posted a link to that configurator. I can resist temptation. I can resist temptation. I can resist....

Guess I'm trippin' it old school. I still remember using some of the Barnes original cup and core bullets in my 375 Win barrel (my first Contender) back in the day. They sure opened up nice.

BT
02-27-2023, 10:20 PM
Never heard of that one. Yep, it can get contagious using those barrel configurators!

Normrep55
02-28-2023, 09:23 AM
The disease is contagious:o

HHI6818
03-07-2023, 09:51 PM
Congratulations on your new barrel. Subsonic rounds are a hoot!!! I have a 14 inch Contender barrel chambered in 338 Whisper. I shoot IHMSA with it. Nosler 300 gr HP CC @ 1004 fps.
when i shoot pigs, turkeys, and rams it sounds like you whacked the targets with a hammer!!!!

https://i.postimg.cc/BnKWzYQL/A6A90A42-C1E0-43B8-8265-31020F398460.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

sunnysmarine
03-08-2023, 11:23 AM
I think all of us should meet up at Gerald's place one day and do some sampling shooting, would save us a bunch of money even after spending one or two barrels worth of fuel to get there

P.S.

If any one out there has a stainless 257 JDJ carbine barrel they can no longer feed I am willing to adopt and take proper care of its nutritional needs

FyrepowrX
03-08-2023, 06:46 PM
Sunny...do i recall you got a .25x30/30ackley not too long ago? Or was i thinking about a different one?

Of course that's not a reason to skip the .257jdj...i have 3 barrels in .25x30/30ackley, and i would still buy
a .257jdj if i ever saw a carbine priced right. ;) i even have dies for it already but no barrels,
so that alone is plenty of reason to get a barrel.

sunnysmarine
03-08-2023, 08:20 PM
have not decided between the 25-35 AI the 25 30-30 the 250 savage rimmed AI or just stick with the 257 JDJ or have one of each, I do have a 20" blue 257 JDJ that I would like to change to Stainless, Did you get a sty in your eye there you look a little green wink wink

FyrepowrX
03-08-2023, 08:57 PM
no sty...probly powder residue. :rolleyes:

logical thing to do is get one of everything to make sure you have the right one.

BT
03-08-2023, 10:27 PM
have not decided between the 25-35 AI the 25 30-30 the 250 savage rimmed AI or just stick with the 257 JDJ or have one of each, I do have a 20" blue 257 JDJ that I would like to change to Stainless, Did you get a sty in your eye there you look a little green wink wink
lol You have alot of decisions to make.

BobT
03-09-2023, 07:13 AM
no sty...probly powder residue. :rolleyes:

logical thing to do is get one of everything to make sure you have the right one.

Sound wisdom!

sunnysmarine
03-09-2023, 12:13 PM
Sound wisdom!

Just wish some old goat would let something that interesting go :rolleyes: you know save us (me) from having to wait so long, That when it finally arrives we've moved on and its now a back burner cartridge project I have at least 4 or 5 such, I looked at EABCO and SSK both have are you kidding me waits, MGM is 3 months even that these days seems a long time to wait for a new toy.... Suffering from CRS dose not help either when the barrel shows up .. WTH did I do that for ;) Today 3 barrels are to arrive hope I remember why

BruceP
03-09-2023, 07:20 PM

Sunny I was curious how that blue 257 jdj barrel was treating you? It seemed to want to shoot on my frame but I never really gave it much of a workout.

Bruce

sunnysmarine
03-09-2023, 08:06 PM
Sunny I was curious how that blue 257 jdj barrel was treating you? It seemed to want to shoot on my frame but I never really gave it much of a workout.

Bruce

Bruce, since its arrival it has been either no time or no room at the long range for me ( so many less places to shoot here is causing over crowed ranges) since the first of the year raining and to muddy. I do have ammo rolled and waiting

BruceP
03-09-2023, 10:31 PM
Bruce, since its arrival it has been either no time or no room at the long range for me ( so many less places to shoot here is causing over crowed ranges) since the first of the year raining and to muddy. I do have ammo rolled and waiting

Sorry to hear about the range situation.

FyrepowrX
09-08-2023, 02:39 AM
Bumping back some old threads for updates, as i have finally again been on a "finish this stuff" kick now that it is getting closer to the
time where i go run around in the woods chasing critters & shooting guns & all sorts of similar fun stuff.

Back when i got this one in, which i think was some time in April or thereabouts, it was of course tax & accounting time, & then other stuff popped up, so i didnt do much with it. Then, it got hot, and my enthusiasm waned.

With the barrel, i ordered 50 formed cases from SSK, and dies. Went to F-L size the brass that i got from SSK, and inconveniently found that the brass they use is formed from Peterson cases...which have undersize flash holes. As issued, you cant even size brass using the hornady F-L dies, which have a standard decap pin assembly. So, i mumbled some harsh things about the evil sociopath that decided to do that...i bet it was the same stooge that gave us .45ACP brass with small primer pockets. Then i recalled i had stashed some 7BR brass back a while ago, went to dig for those, and found out my other brass is also Peterson, also with the quantum-tiny flash holes.

A few days ago i got a lyman flash hole uniformer, pitched the screwdriver handle it came with, chucked it up in my drill, and reamed a hundred 7BR cases to standard flash hole size.

A leupold 1.5-4x , with the "Hunt Plex" reticle is now on top of the barrel, and loading will soon commence. (reticle is kinda like a modified German #4...i like it quite a bit...so much so, i ordered 2 more of those!)

I was curious if i could form cases by just running virgin 7BR into the sizer die without annealing...did 50 of them with zero case loss, though i did lightly chamfer inside case necks first, and also lubed necks with dry neck lube. Will see if those hold up in firing, with no splits.

And, throat on this one is LLOONNGG....appears they chambered so a 300gr projectile could be seated way out with no real intrusion into the usable case capacity. I doubt i'll shoot .300's, but i do have some of the old Barnes Original flat nose .375, 255gr, which were intended for 38/55's, etc...those are rather soft, and with a big wide flat nose they should slap the snot out of anything they run into, assuming the barrel shoots them decently....i seated one, and plenty of throat in that barrel so dropped in with a plunk, even when seated way out.

More reports to come, including some chrono results.

G~

sunnysmarine
09-08-2023, 10:18 AM
Ok teaser.... get on with it

I believe today will be the day I order a 22" 226 JDJ barrel 12-16 weeks now