PDA

View Full Version : New load for the 6.5 BRM

Bobby Tomek
02-27-2023, 05:50 PM
Today I finally got around to shooting a few groups with a new load for my 24" Eabco barrel in 6.5 BRM. I wanted to see how it would respond to a combination of SW Precision powder and the 129 grain Nosler LRAB.

The load I settled on is churning up an average of 2522 fps (uncorrected at 15 feet). I fired two 3-shot groups at 200 yards with this load and was rewarded with eye-popping groups. The first measured .790. I wanted to make sure that was not a fluke, so I let the barrel cool and fired another three-shot string. This group was even better at .644. I'll try and get a couple pictures tomorrow if I remember.

The 129 grain LRAB is an interesting bullet. It's extremely soft and sheds weight rather quickly. But being bonded, it maintains enough mass to keep plowing forward.

In my own testing, the 120 grain Ballistic Tip out-penetrates it and retains more weight when both have impact speeds of around 2300 fps.

Hopefully I can place one into a more interesting medium before long...

FyrepowrX
02-27-2023, 06:13 PM
i have a box of the 129gr ABLR's that i got a couple years ago for a 6.5creed loading project...had kind of forgot about those. Never tried them in the 6.5jdj,
or the 6.5x30/30ackley....i think i will do that.

Have had a few guys tell me that SW Precision was yielding lower ES/SD's than the Varget that they switched from to try it...now that Varget is popping up again,
they said they are going to stick with Precision instead.

Bobby Tomek
02-27-2023, 08:00 PM
I am seeing the same great results with SW Precision like you mention above. I will not go back to Varget unless I have to.

As to the 129 grain LRABs, just keep them off the shoulder of a deer. Otherwise you'll be losing quite a bit of meat. For your usage, I think you'll really like the 115 grain Barnes Tac-Tx. I am anxious to hear how they shoot for you.

BT
02-27-2023, 10:25 PM
Does this mean you’ve made a decision on which barrel to keep? :cool:

BT
02-27-2023, 10:28 PM
I bought 1 lb of the SW Precision a few years ago when I couldn’t find Varget, then shortly after, I was able to get several bottles of Varget, so I haven’t even tried the SW. I’ve heard similar reports that you guys have and now I’m thinking I better give it a go as well.

Bobby Tomek
02-27-2023, 11:58 PM
Does this mean you’ve made a decision on which barrel to keep? :cool:

Unfortunately, I have not. Indecision has often been a thorn in my side LOL.

Bobby Tomek
02-28-2023, 10:44 AM
Since we had a perfectly-calm morning for once, I decided to fire two more 3-shot groups: one at 100 and another at 200 yards. While not impressive as yesterday's, both were still more than acceptable.

The 200 yard group measures 0.91. The 100 yard group was nearly the same in composition and size and is 0.832", perhaps giving credence to the benchrest theory of long bullets needing time to "go to sleep" (fully stabilize) -- at least in this situation. Of course, many other factors can come into play.

Bottom line: I certainly like this load.

I have five of these remaining and have them in the buttstock cartridge carrier. At 200 yards, the POI is less than an inch different than my current 123 grain ELD-M load, so I could switch between them with ease if I wanted.

Normrep55
02-28-2023, 04:54 PM
Bobby - you must be livin' right. I would be dancin' a jig over results like that!