PDA

View Full Version : Gen 2 Scout Update Ideas

Bratch
02-26-2023, 05:56 PM
I have a Gen 2 (4.275” spacing) Scout that has been sitting in the back of my safe that I’m thinking about updating. I took my first deer with this rifle and would like to get back to hunting with it.

I’m looking for ideas and opinions on my options and current thoughts.

Right now I am looking at using the Atlasworx bottom metal so that I can move to AICS style mags and going to a Hogue overmold stock.

I haven’t had problems with the original magazine but I am not a fan of having a rifle with a single hard to find magazine. I have an Hogue stock on a 10/22 that I like but I haven’t ran one on a centerfire.

I want to keep this as a light handy rifle, I have no plans of running bipods or bench shooting other than to zero.

Here are some questions:

1. Is this even worth while? I’m looking at $350 for bottom metal, stock and a few magazines.
2. Any other bottom metal options out there I should look at, the 4.275” spacing seems tougher to find.
3. Other stock options? I saw Magpul had a hunter out but it’s for the 4.4” rifles. I’m leaning towards a traditional sporter profile but would be open to others.
4. What else should I know or think about?

Thanks everyone

Dave Hoback
02-26-2023, 07:07 PM
The Atlasworx is a good BM. Accurate-Mag is another good option. For stocks, Boyd’s is another option of close to price of the Hogue. Though I’ve not looked if the 4.275” is available. Your other option is doing a Chassis. No bottom metal needed. MDT has several, and they also make the Oryx. But my choice in a kind of traditional looking chassis is the KRG. https://kineticresearchgroup.com/product/bravo-savage/

Although I prefer full Aluminum in-line chassis & use the Mirage URL Chassis.