PDA

View Full Version : .22 rim fire barrel

gotcha
12-05-2010, 05:16 PM
Hi Guys, Reading posts here you've got my interest tweaked. I hunt 'yotes here in Georgia and pass up a lot of shots on smallish critters. Mostly squirrels & Huge chipmunks we have in this neck of the woods. I've got an old Ruger 77/22 I'd like to re-barrel for the little vermin. Can anyone suggest a scource for a reasonably priced, yet quality bbl. for this rig. I've checked Pacnor & Shilen and they're talking more money than the rifle originally cost. Seems like the Ruger bbl. would be easy to change out in my home shop, but I'm not sure how to headspace. All answers appreciated. Even Possum-1. ;) Dale

laportecharlie
12-05-2010, 08:40 PM
I think the name of the barrel maker is Green Mountain. Check over on rimfirecentral.com and you will find all you need,
Charlie

dolomite_supafly
12-05-2010, 09:16 PM
Greenmountajn site has a section where they have plenty of 77/22 barrels for sale and some are cheap. GM makes some of the best barrels for the money.

Dolomite

gotcha
12-07-2010, 12:40 PM
Thanks guys! 'preciate the input.

old geezer
01-01-2011, 07:44 PM
I have the very same gun that you have. I put a Green Mountain 20 inch tapered fluted on it. Very little stock sanding in the barrel channel. It loves CCI SS. Good, but not perfection from most HV's. Pretty good from Rem Goldens though. Also shoots Rem SS HP's good. I don't shoot the high dollar stuff. I'm not that much of a perfectionist I guess. This is my experience with them.

jglover_81
01-07-2011, 04:57 PM
Stay away from the tactical solutions 16" barrel... mine shoots barely better than the original