PDA

View Full Version : Mark I/II/93R: MkII FV SR scope mount

dfrosch
02-25-2023, 11:36 AM
Has anyone taken the picatinny rail off and replaced with Weaver type mounts? Were you happy with the results?

I have gotten away from picatinny rails on all my centerfire rifles and used either Warne or Weaver mounts. The scope can be mounted about 1/8" to 1/4" lower.

Fasteddie01
02-26-2023, 12:55 PM
Hi - I don't have a MKII, just a couple 64s and a B22FV. They all came with Weavers and the only issue I've had is with the B22FV the scope (Covenant 4- 6-+24x50 FFP) is pretty large and I've got it slid back as far as I can (both on the mount and in the rings) - just barely OK. That may be a concern for you. Don't throw out the rail ;-)

dfrosch
02-26-2023, 09:02 PM
Hi - I don't have a MKII, just a couple 64s and a B22FV. They all came with Weavers and the only issue I've had is with the B22FV the scope (Covenant 4- 6-+24x50 FFP) is pretty large and I've got it slid back as far as I can (both on the mount and in the rings) - just barely OK. That may be a concern for you. Don't throw out the rail ;-)

Thanks Eddie. Haven't got it yet. Been trying to decide between the FV SR and the Minimalist.

When you say it's just barely okay, is the eye relief the issue, or is the bell close to interfering with something?

Fasteddie01
02-27-2023, 09:50 AM
I'd suggest the FV-SR, I got the FV only 'cause I'm in Canada and cans aren't legal here.
As for the clearance, mine just barely clears the barrel - about 1/32" - tho I can get a stretch-cover on. And for eye-relief I did get an off-brand cheek riser, like a Matthews but half the cost, on Amazon.
The FV is super-accurate, I think the V-barrel is a factor. Some things to do on the B22 (whichever) - 1) Polish a bit of the bolt guide so it cannot scrape the top of bullets in the mag. 'Some' rifles do that; mine was just barely touching but I polished anyway to avoid the possibility. I used some 1000g wet/dry paper.
2) The slot of the cocking 'cam'/pin will 'wear' on the bolt-handle. Here's a vid showing the problem and the Very Simple fix. Both #1 & 2 only take a few minutes and are worth doing. http s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1dzc9dYhw0
3) Replace the Trigger-spring with a 'Varmint-spring' from Gunshack, they only cost about $7. Only takes 5-min to do this. The OEM spring on the Left was heated with a Bic and let to cool slowly. That removed much of the tension and I now have a trigger-pull of about 1# !! The Gunshack spring (on the right) will get about the same pull.
4) The 'tool' Savage sends you to adjust trigger-pull is very short and requires dis-assembly to use. I drilled a hole in the trigger-guard and made a 'long tool' (HA!) see pic.
5) Add a cheek riser to make the scope easier to see.
In the price range I feel the B22-FV can't be beat. Just a few things to make it 'better'.
Here's some pics.

dfrosch
02-27-2023, 12:48 PM
I like my scope low, but yeah, that doesn't leave room for dust caps.

Thanks for the list of tweaks!

dfrosch
03-06-2023, 09:38 PM
I'd suggest the FV-SR, I got the FV only 'cause I'm in Canada and cans aren't legal here.
As for the clearance, mine just barely clears the barrel - about 1/32" - tho I can get a stretch-cover on. And for eye-relief I did get an off-brand cheek riser, like a Matthews but half the cost, on Amazon.
The FV is super-accurate, I think the V-barrel is a factor. Some things to do on the B22 (whichever) - 1) Polish a bit of the bolt guide so it cannot scrape the top of bullets in the mag. 'Some' rifles do that; mine was just barely touching but I polished anyway to avoid the possibility. I used some 1000g wet/dry paper.
2) The slot of the cocking 'cam'/pin will 'wear' on the bolt-handle. Here's a vid showing the problem and the Very Simple fix. Both #1 & 2 only take a few minutes and are worth doing. http s://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I1dzc9dYhw0
3) Replace the Trigger-spring with a 'Varmint-spring' from Gunshack, they only cost about $7. Only takes 5-min to do this. The OEM spring on the Left was heated with a Bic and let to cool slowly. That removed much of the tension and I now have a trigger-pull of about 1# !! The Gunshack spring (on the right) will get about the same pull.
4) The 'tool' Savage sends you to adjust trigger-pull is very short and requires dis-assembly to use. I drilled a hole in the trigger-guard and made a 'long tool' (HA!) see pic.
5) Add a cheek riser to make the scope easier to see.
In the price range I feel the B22-FV can't be beat. Just a few things to make it 'better'.
Here's some pics.

Cabela's/Bass Pro has the MkII FV SR for $260. https://www.cabelas.com/shop/en/Savage-Mark-II-FV-SR-Bolt-Action-Rimfire-Rifle Found a deal for a Cabela's gift card with a little over $300 balance. Paid around $252 and got the MkII and 4 boxes of CCI standard velocity ammo. :rolleyes:

I've had an old Bushnell 4200 6-24x40 side focus in Burris signature low rings. Mounted it on the rail and the objective bell was at least 5/16" from the barrel. Now I have the Weaver 48016 bases on order from B&H Photo.

This rifle is pretty rough. Gonna sit in front of the TV and cycle the action until it gets smooth.