PDA

View Full Version : WTF Alliant?

Pages : [1] 2

Ernest T
02-17-2023, 10:23 AM
I received the Alliant RL-16 powder I ordered when it was in stock for about 15 minutes at Brownells last week. This jug is half empty! It’s hard to store and hard to pour from this huge thing. Eight pounds of CFE Pistol for Comparison.

Dave Hoback
02-17-2023, 10:41 AM
WASTE! That’s the American way, isn’t it? :rolleyes: Why put money into the product, or pass on savings to the consumer, when it can be wasted on packaging…

Stumpkiller
02-17-2023, 10:52 AM
They use the same container for all powders. Some are denser than others. Since it is sold by weight the volume varies. Cuts down on the cost of forming and inventorying multiple containers.

ps: it is made in Sweden. Not sure where the end use containers are filled.

GrenGuy
02-17-2023, 10:53 AM
Save empty 1# and 8# powder containers and relable them for new powder. Make a big funnel out of an empty bleach bottle, and transfer powder to more manageable containers.

charlie b
02-17-2023, 11:04 AM
^^this.

I kinda 'standardized' on Hodgdon powder bottles. The labels remove easily. When I empty a container I refill it from the jug using a funnel.

It is kinda interesting how much the density of powders is different. Sometimes the bottle is full and sometimes it looks half full, both with 1lb of powder.

Stumpkiller
02-17-2023, 12:17 PM
I know you guys are careful and competent, but be careful with that practice. It was forbidden to reuse chemical containers or refill them where I worked. There was a local precedence.

At the same maternity ward I was born in, a nurse, three years later, made a bunch of baby formula using sugar from a relabeled container. Turns out the prior shift had refilled the container - from a larger container that had a partially missing label. It was salt. By the time they traced the problem six babies had died and several others had organ damage.

We all know the horrors of overcharges with Unique or Bullseye. If you do it, be VERY cautious. We need all the shooters we can keep.

charlie b
02-17-2023, 03:15 PM
Yep. Cleaned, washed, then relabeled when filled.

I, probably like many here, have many chemicals in the shop. Careful to not mix. When I use one type of bore cleaner, I clean it out of the bore with alcohol before using my Cu remover (they are not compatible). Then I use alcohol again to clean that out. And yes, I checked with the mfgs as to what was recommended.

Blue Avenger
02-17-2023, 04:34 PM
I know you guys are careful and competent, but be careful with that practice. It was forbidden to reuse chemical containers or refill them where I worked. There was a local precedence.

At the same maternity ward I was born in, a nurse, three years later, made a bunch of baby formula using sugar from a relabeled container. Turns out the prior shift had refilled the container - from a larger container that had a partially missing label. It was salt. By the time they traced the problem six babies had died and several others had organ damage.

We all know the horrors of overcharges with Unique or Bullseye. If you do it, be VERY cautious. We need all the shooters we can keep.

Got some donuts from a church benefit once where that happened.

Ernest T
02-17-2023, 06:30 PM
They use the same container for all powders. Some are denser than others. Since it is sold by weight the volume varies. Cuts down on the cost of forming and inventorying multiple containers.

ps: it is made in Sweden. Not sure where the end use containers are filled.

This jug will hold 16 lbs of RL-16, its not just a little over size for coarser powder.

Ernest T
02-17-2023, 06:34 PM
^^this.

I kinda 'standardized' on Hodgdon powder bottles. The labels remove easily. When I empty a container I refill it from the jug using a funnel.

It is kinda interesting how much the density of powders is different. Sometimes the bottle is full and sometimes it looks half full, both with 1lb of powder.

I do that too, but I usually buy a 1 lb container of powder, then order 8 lb jugs if I like it, so I have a 1 lb container with the original label on it. Unfortunately, I didn't save the 1 lb. container of RL-16.

charlie b
02-17-2023, 07:55 PM
I stuck with one brand/size just for shelf space. I like having one size jug. The big ones go in a cabinet in the garage.

Ernest T
02-17-2023, 08:55 PM
I stuck with one brand/size just for shelf space. I like having one size jug. The big ones go in a cabinet in the garage.

I need a better storage option for powder I keep the big jugs in a steel cabinet in the house, its not a safe, but SAAMI specifies a wooden box or locker. I finally made a box for primers, its made of 1" thick pine and will hold about 30,000. It sits on the floor in the hall closet, separate from the powder and factory ammo.

charlie b
02-18-2023, 09:41 AM
I am not that picky. Mine all go in a cabinet or on the shelves in the garage, primers in a drawer. I only keep one bottle at a time near the bench.

PhilC
02-18-2023, 12:12 PM
NFPA and SAAMI aren't law making nor enforcement entities. Best course of action is to check the laws of your state, county, and city.

For example, in Washington, RCW 70.74.340 covers storage and transportation of small arms propellants:
Quantities in excess of twenty-five pounds but not to exceed fifty pounds in a private passenger vehicle shall be transported in an approved magazine as specified by the department of labor and industries rules and regulations.
Transportation of quantities in excess of fifty pounds is prohibited in passenger vehicles: PROVIDED, That this requirement shall not apply to duly licensed dealers.
Transportation of quantities in excess of fifty pounds shall be in accordance with federal department of transportation regulations.
Small arms smokeless propellant intended for personal use in quantities not to exceed twenty-five pounds may be stored without restriction in residences; quantities over twenty-five pounds but not to exceed fifty pounds shall be stored in a strong box or cabinet constructed with three-fourths inch plywood (minimum), or equivalent, on all sides, top, and bottom.

Whereas RCW 70.74.350 addresses storage and transportation of primers:
No more than twenty-five thousand small arms ammunition primers shall be transported in a private passenger vehicle: PROVIDED, That this requirement shall not apply to duly licensed dealers.
Quantities not to exceed ten thousand small arms ammunition primers may be stored in a residence.

Ernest T
02-18-2023, 01:30 PM
I am not that picky. Mine all go in a cabinet or on the shelves in the garage, primers in a drawer. I only keep one bottle at a time near the bench.

No issues with it in the garage? You have the same heat we get here in central Texas, but we have much higher humidity.

Ernest T
02-18-2023, 01:41 PM
NFPA and SAAMI aren't law making nor enforcement entities. Best course of action is to check the laws of your state, county, and city.

For example, in Washington, RCW 70.74.340 covers storage and transportation of small arms propellants:

Whereas RCW 70.74.350 addresses storage and transportation of primers:

Texas has pretty liberal ammo, powder and primer guidelines. State law actually prohibits municipalities from regulating possession or transportation of smokeless powder in quantities of less than 25 lbs. The same restriction applies to counties, but they can't regulate quantities less than 50 lbs. We live in an unincorporated area of the country so we're good. I just want to store powder and primers safetly.

Dave Hoback
02-18-2023, 05:14 PM
This jug will hold 16 lbs of RL-16, its not just a little over size for coarser powder.

I was gonna say!:rolleyes: No way is that an 8lb powder bottle. I’ve never seen a 16lb. I only buy powder by the pound anyway.

charlie b
02-18-2023, 10:32 PM
Never had a problem with all of it in a garage. Dry heat :) Even did that when we lived in Phx. Metal garage door faced west. 110F common.

I never stored much powder and primers before. Now I think I should look up local laws (more than 25lb). Used to be pretty open out here. With the labs and research bases there were some "home businesses" who were storing hundreds of pounds of explosives of all types. They cracked down on that, and black powder was included in the rules. I think gun powder and such is not regulated but i need to look it up.

PhilC
02-19-2023, 09:56 AM
Texas has pretty liberal ammo, powder and primer guidelines. State law actually prohibits municipalities from regulating possession or transportation of smokeless powder in quantities of less than 25 lbs. The same restriction applies to counties, but they can't regulate quantities less than 50 lbs. We live in an unincorporated area of the country so we're good. I just want to store powder and primers safetly.
Wish it was that way here, instead, state law here gives power to county, city, and local entitities to enact more restrictive guidelines. :mad:

Blue Avenger
02-19-2023, 01:26 PM
Mn State laws
The possession, storage and use (https://up.codes/viewer/minnesota/ifc-2018/chapter/2/definitions#use_material) of not more than 1 pound (0.454 kg) of commercially manufactured sporting black powder, 20 pounds (9 kg) of smokeless powder and 10,000 small arms primers (https://up.codes/viewer/minnesota/ifc-2018/chapter/2/definitions#small_arms_primers) for hand loading of small arms ammunition (https://up.codes/viewer/minnesota/ifc-2018/chapter/2/definitions#small_arms_ammunition) for personal consumption.
apparently fire departments can come in and remove excess at your expense.

So I'm not allowed to buy a second can of black before I run out? Don't think I have black anymore anyways. Gave it to the needy during the shortage.