PDA

View Full Version : Leaving for WY Next Week

Elkbane
10-09-2009, 12:49 PM
.....for my Elk hunt. Man, am I looking forward to it.

This year has been very stressful for my business and I need some isolation and R&R. And for once, I have everything ready early so I don't have to scurry around at the last minute.

We'll be hunting private land south of Rawlins, WY snuggled up next to Medicine Bow Nationsl Forest. I've hunted this ranch several times before - and this year, they had plenty of water and the rancher didn't run cattle, so there is plenty of grass, tall grass. Given that we saw several nice bulls that we couldn't connect with last year, I'm hoping for a decent bull.

Flying into Rock Springs Wednesday and driving over, hopefully in time to get to "spotting scope hill" so we can see where the herds are using for the Thursday morning opener.

Will post pictures/report when I get back...
Elkbane

xhogboss
10-11-2009, 11:02 PM
Good huntin' to ya! Hold tight - last time I was through there the wind was blowing like crazy!

Elkbane
10-23-2009, 04:31 PM
Well, I did manage to scratch one down, 5 minutes before dark on my third and last day to hunt.

He's not huge, but it was a decent conclusion to a great hunt. I saw elk on every morning and afternoon hunt - just not what I wanted to shoot.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h28/elkbane/Elk_BLB.jpg

And to make it sweeter, I shot him with my savage.
http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h28/elkbane/NewRifle002.jpg

Sitting position, 200 yards, right behind the shoulder with 165gr Accubond......
Elkbane

5spd
10-23-2009, 08:59 PM
last time I was through there the wind was blowing like crazy!

When isnt it blowing out here???

Nice Elk you took there.
That area has produced a lot of 360+ scored antlers (6x6) and a train load of 22"-30" mulies so far.
The taxidermist on my mail route has at least 12 giant elk heads and 20+ mulies and 10 or so 13" + antelope he is preping for mounting.
He just got in a 7x9 elk and a 9x11 mulie in today when I stopped to drop his mail off, they were just fantastic to actually see and touch.