PDA

View Full Version : Savage 1907 ammo question

matt.jans
02-08-2023, 10:28 AM
Hi folks! First time poster but this seemed like the right group. I have 2 1907s I inhereted. One is actually their gen 2 with the flared grip. One is 32 cal and one is 380.

I disassembled and cleaned before shooting. Looked cracks, putting, bulged barrel, etc. They're in really good shape! First time I shot them they worked fine. Second and third times I've had extraction failures. Used shell won't fit back in so I think I have over expansion. Extractor itself looks fine. Cleaned between uses but not full field strip.

Questions: What should I be looking for in the ammo I shoot with these? I didn't pay any attention with the first boxes I bought, other than avoiding +P. Any ammo characteristics I should look for? Any specific ammo folks have had luck with in these guns?

Thanks!

Sent from my SM-S908U using Tapatalk

61Knuckle
02-26-2023, 05:07 PM
Matt, Welcome to the Savage Shooters.
Your post probably should be in the Vintage Savage forum. Anyway, I've got a couple of 1907's. One of mine has a rough chamber, probably from corrosive ammo, and frequently fails to eject, the cases often require a cleaning rod to eject. I don't shoot that one and haven't done much with it lately. Barrels are currently unavailable.
As far as ammo, buy quality, domestic ammunition. Most .32 ACP is conservatively loaded. 380, I don't know but would assume the same. You want low power, low velocity loadings. All of these guys are over 100 years old, they were good pistols when new, but who knows how they've been treated. Be careful.
:cool: