PDA

View Full Version : 64 common parts to have on hand?

SlowBro
02-04-2023, 11:53 PM
Just bought a 64 for a survival gun and would like to stock a few spare parts in case supply dries up. What are some common parts I ought to have on hand?

Fasteddie01
02-06-2023, 10:36 PM
Hey, bro - Welcome to the world of 64s. You didn't say which model you have, guessing a takedown since you say it's for 'survival'. I'd suggest you get the Mcarbo springs to lighten your trigger, to reduce misses caused by heavy pulls. Also, I'd get a couple spare firing pins 'cause you'll have accidental dry-fires pounding the tip. You should also look at what the 'rim-strikes' look like and I'd suggest you get the strike a few hundredths away from the rim by filing the tip a tiny bit. Search online for advice on this, it improves the ignition according to 'current advice'. Beyond this there isn't a lot that 'wears out' on a 64, they're pretty simple rifles.
To 'lighten the trigger' You can replace the 'return spring' with a 'bic' spring cut to just barely return the trigger, about 1/3 of a spring. And polish all the contact surfaces inside, then very lightly lube with silicone spray. My trigger is down around 2# or less.
You might want an 'extended' mag release and charging handle - I made my own, quite bubba if you can do little stuff like that. As well, I opened the mag well to ease insertion - you always want easy insertion.
For the mag release I drilled a hole in the OEM and put a piece of heavy wire, covered with JB weld. The charging handle extension is a self-tapping bolt with a loose nut rotating on it. I rounded off the hex corners after it was assembled.
The mag well (old style with bottom metal) I just hit with a file then 1000g paper to open it waaay out - makes mags easy to slip in.
Just depends on what you want it to look like, the release and charging handle can be purchased from DIP and others if you choose the 'mfg look'
Good luck on your project.
Ed
Here's some pics :
9169 9170 9173 9171 9172 9174

SlowBro
02-09-2023, 10:34 AM
Just 64F, not a takedown, when I say "survival" I just have in mind homesteading for difficult days.

Great advice! I get it in my hands next Thursday after the waiting period.

Not afraid of bubba modifications, haha.

Who is a good vendor for firing pins? I could just hit up the next eBay seller but would like to give my money to a dedicated vendor. And which width is best for general-purpose? Couldn't find anything online explaining the difference in widths.

Fasteddie01
02-09-2023, 11:01 AM
I'm not aware of 'different widths' of firing pins. Are you getting that info off ebay? That's my LAST place to look for parts unless it's for an "Obsolete" firearm. And ebay often has scammers.
Numrich lists only one firing pin : https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/845950A - Sav 64 firing pin, but they're Out right now.
I live in Canada so don't have that FFL bs about 'restricted parts' that involve some items, tho Numrich doesn't mention that re the FP. I got my spares from the factory which is in Canada, but they may not ship to USA?
There are other sources in USA for Savage parts, I don't have them listed since I don't need them. You can find them by searching inet for dealers.
ALSO, I get a lot of tech info for my rifles from RimfireCentral site, there usually is more activity than here.
On This Site and RFC you can search my User-name for my posts. I have several mods about the 64, as well as the B22-FV. I suggest you 'study' a lot of posts before doing much modding, especially since many will VOID your warranty.
As for modding the FP, I suggest you wait until you can get a spare before doing any mod. The OEM should work fine. You can search forums for posts and Youtubers for the FP mod info.
Doing the MCarbo spring kit will help you immensely, just SAVE your OEM springs in case you need to send the rifle in for warranty.
The 64 is a 'low-cost' 22, but it's very reliable for being a semi. I've had mine for many years and still enjoy it for a 'sorta- accurate' plinker. I have other rifles for "Target shooting", but the 64 is sure fun.

Fasteddie01
03-12-2023, 09:17 PM
Hi again, I know it's been over a month but I just saw this thread while noodling around and wanted to add this. I tried to PM you but you must not have enough posts yet.
Anyway, You don't need to get these parts for 'spares' but MCarbo has a "Spring kit" for the 64 that has a 'Lighter' Sear spring. I bought one years ago, then I did the 'bic-spring' to the trigger return. MCarbo's Sear spring WILL lower your trigger pull, too. And you can have a spare Return spring top keep in your tool box. It's a cheap mod and that sear spring is a weird 'double-loop' thing that would be hard to make.
Hope you're enjoying your 64, I've got 2 now and just bought 3 more mags for them.
Ed