PDA

View Full Version : Old eyes need a new gun!

JStacy
02-03-2023, 12:49 AM
:rolleyes::rolleyes: , at least that is what I am telling myself. I have kept a Ruger SP101 3"357 for unwelcomed guest. Recently, maybe more time than recent being 77, I found I could not see the front sight on my SP101 except is good sunlight and then it was soft focused. I would like to get a 3" AS 357, in the smaller frame size, to keep in the arm of my recliner and pick up when I am on the road.
I had a S&W Mod 60 3" with AS and let it get away, we all have done that. Anyone have any suggestions for a good replacement? I shoot the classic Keith 358429HP with 2400 in 38 spl cases because I know it works. I know everyone has an opinion. Let's hear it.

JStacy
02-03-2023, 07:51 PM
I have found a solution to my sight picture! I am going to send my SP101 to Alex Hamilton,10 ring precision, and have the frame milled for Novak sights like the Wiley Clapp models have.

Stumpkiller
02-03-2023, 09:47 PM
Years ago I had a Colt Detective Special and I had a local gunsmith cut a dovetail in the (ramped) foresight and fit a red insert. Helped a lot with visibility in low light.

JStacy
02-04-2023, 01:22 AM
This front sight is supposed to have a fiber optic in the front sight. Those help a lot when there is light. In the dark, don't shoot till you have I'ded your target.

Ed K
02-06-2023, 08:46 AM
I had a S&W Mod 60 3" with AS and let it get away, we all have done that.

I let the same thing happen with the same model. I loved the format but at the same time didn't really like shooting it. I try not to regret such things as I do not buy on impulse nor to I sell that way. Therefore it must have been for a good reason I convince myself.

My brother has a SP101 and I find it quite nice. A little more heft to it. Maybe a bad thing for carry but not an issue for the house or in your pickup. I'm glad you find a solution to your sights. I am beginning to experience the same issue. Be sure to let us know how it works out.