PDA

View Full Version : Brand new .223

NickG
01-28-2023, 01:48 PM
Greetings fellow savage shooters.
New here and new to shooting. Just picked up a 110 apex hunter xp. Now, I am new to shooting, so maybe it's me. But, trying to work the action and get used to it, using snap caps and it will not cycle the first round properly. Keeps jumping out of the magazine early and getting stuck. Is there something I am doing wrong? Does the spring need to be worked a bit more, as the tension feels enormous.
Any help or tips greatly appreciated.

NF1E
01-28-2023, 04:28 PM
Try loading a couple less rnd in the magazine.

NickG
01-28-2023, 05:51 PM
Only putting 2 rounds in a 4 round magazine.

Turkeytider
01-28-2023, 07:16 PM
Oh boy. Here we go again with Savage magazines. I`ve been fortunate enough to accumulate three magazines for my 110 .223 that have so far been flawless ( knock on wood! ) . I truly don`t know if it`s hit or miss with their magazines, having to let them " wear in " somehow, or something else. If it`s a spring issue, you might try loading 4 in the magazine and let it sit for a couple of days. Seems I read about somebody doing something like that. I do know that Savage will usually send out a new one if you communicate with their customer service department. At least they did for me. Of course, it`ll be the same magazine since this is how Savage has chosen to address these persistent complaints rather than attacking the problem head on.

charlie b
01-28-2023, 08:30 PM
Magazines are magic. They work or they don't :)

I was lucky that my Axis .223 mag worked really well (when it didn't fall out of the rifle). It even held 5 rounds instead of 4.

Turkeytider
01-28-2023, 08:45 PM
Magazines are magic. They work or they don't :)

I was lucky that my Axis .223 mag worked really well (when it didn't fall out of the rifle). It even held 5 rounds instead of 4.

I think that`s probably true....but I don`t think it should be that way ( or needs to be ! ) . I refuse to believe that a dependable, functioning magazine for a civilian rifle, in this instance Savage rifles, can`t be developed.

NickG
01-28-2023, 11:17 PM
Lmao. Well this sounds like regular issue. Maybe I will just get hold of Savage, see if they can't send a replacement.
Thanks all.

Turkeytider
01-29-2023, 09:17 AM
Lmao. Well this sounds like regular issue. Maybe I will just get hold of Savage, see if they can't send a replacement.
Thanks all.

Unfortunately, yes. I also have two 17HMR magazines that I had to " modify " to make work correctly.

charlie b
01-29-2023, 01:15 PM
Yes, I would contact Savage and ask for a replacement.