View Full Version : 2023 Season build

Pages : 1 2 [3]

GrenGuy
09-04-2023, 09:06 AM
That’s one Fortunate Grandson! :cool:

charlie b
09-04-2023, 03:14 PM
Nice on all counts.

Sometimes I wish I could justify a really good rest. I had thought about making one. I had designed one I could make with just a drill press, but just the price of the metal is daunting. I don't even have those drawings anymore. I miss my 12x36 lathe and milling machine :)

GrenGuy
09-04-2023, 04:46 PM
A good place to start charlie is with a small Car Scissor Jack. There are examples on youtube.

charlie b
09-04-2023, 05:26 PM
Yep, that was a source I had looked at. I've used them before making jigs for metal work. One I was trying to get the slop out of it and ended up replacing all the 'flats' with bar stock. Used a lot of similar mechanisms when working with optics benches. They use a similar geometry, but, prices on those can be really high as well for the larger versions.

I've also considered an x-y machinist vise as a base to start with but it ends up being bulky and the geometry isn't quite right.

Fuj'
09-05-2023, 06:19 AM
For years, a decent Bald Eagle rest was all I needed. When I decided to try a joy stick,
I grabbed one of Butch Lamberts "Shade Tree" tops that fits the Bald Eagle, They were
just a couple of hundred bucks at the time. I liked it, and used it for a couple years as
is. Like anything, we all want to upgrade when possible. If you look again at my grand-
sons pic, He's shooting off my Bald Eagle. I made a new top plate to fit Butch's mechanics,
but went withe the original Bald Eagle bag side tensioners. The width of the plate will let
you use up to a six inch bag, and I installed a four inch bag. This way, I always have a
back up rig and one for the grandson.....Oh, I did a add a longer stick to the Shade Tree
top for easier reach and movement. If anyone is on a real tight budget, Caldwell has one
similar to the Bald Eagle.

Dave Hoback
09-05-2023, 07:03 AM
I do long for a lathe myself. Just don’t have the floor space. However, I could never be without a Mill. A rest is pretty simple concept. Definitely something I could had I motivation for one. While yes, the material costs a bit, we are taking a small FRACTION of the price to buy one of those!

Last year I had decided I wanted to make a nice bench rest bipod. I sourced 2024 Billet Aluminum(stronger than 6061), Carbon Fiber & Titanium rod. Including all Titanium hardware. Cost a few bucks, sure. Maybe as much as a Harris Bipod. About 1/4 the Price, or LESS, of the higher end Bipods.
https://i.ibb.co/kX88Q6Q/9-EACE087-E44-F-4-E16-8222-967-A8-F2-F5-BF7.jpg (https://ibb.co/VTSS2p2)

Don’t get me wrong, my thumbs up to those with the means to purchase these highest toys we all love. Unfortunately, that’s never been me, LOL! However, The Lord gave blessed me with the gift to design in my head & make the parts. Not to mention the love of machining, fabricating. I’ve always felt, if I can make something that looks like it was made in a factory & perform at least 90% as well, I’m happy. (Sometimes things we do even perform better.)

Sorry Fuj’.. not trying to hijack, LOL! Was just adding as encouragement to Charlie & maybe others like me. And I do know you are one of the more skillful builders, machinists, fabricators here. ;)

charlie b
09-05-2023, 09:55 AM
I agree about fabrication and I've done more than a few bipods. I am a bit shocked at how much some can get for a bipod.

And, yeah, having a mill is really nice. I used to make a lot of parts for my motorcycle back then. I am kinda sorry I didn't go for long range shooting when I was younger and I might have found a way to keep those tools.

Fuj, thanks. I guess I had not researched enough on the joystick mounts. That top section looks like a bargain even if I had the tools to engineer and build one.

PS where are you on your rifle build? Any competition with it yet?

Rocketvapor
09-05-2023, 10:02 AM
Go ahead and make fun of my homemade bipod.

charlie b
09-05-2023, 11:22 AM
Nope. Reminds me of one my FIL made. He chose to use mesquite for the cross piece (never to that again :) ). It was gorgeous.

Fuj'
09-05-2023, 03:28 PM
PS where are you on your rifle build? Any competition with it yet?

A little procrastinating going on. and waiting on a Lilja barrel for the SA284.
One of Cortina's V-2 tuners came in for that. And sweating bullets....LOL
i have a limited supply for testing to get it ready for the "Tack Driver" I have
put away 200 for the match only leaving me 113 for break in / work ups. I
don't like calling it this close but if it does not go my way, my 284_ELF will be
my backup.....

Fuj'
09-05-2023, 03:33 PM
Go ahead and make fun of my homemade bipod.

As long as I don't see any duct tape, your good to go !!

charlie b
09-05-2023, 07:47 PM
Yep :)

Will hold out hope you can get the work up the first go around. 100rnds isn't that much when you factor in bullet, load, seat depth and tuner.

Fuj'
09-06-2023, 07:02 AM
Something more to exasperate on....!!

Fed up with the world of Savage aftermarket triggers and going back to the red bladed,
I've been working on better bench manners for squeezing the trigger and avoiding too
much input from my hand. One of the biggest problems of chassis rifles is the pistol grip.
You want to wrap your hand around it then feel for the trigger. I try to stay as loose as
possible on the grip to keep from disturbing the rifle. I use a pinch technique where the
only thing touching the grip is my thumb. Doing it that way, you don't need a full grip.
Normally with the hand on the grip, your thumb is to the side of it and possibly pushing
on that side. So I went in my box of grips and found an Ergo to sacrifice. the tip of my
thumb is now on the back of the grip. With my thumb in that position, and finger on the
trigger, it's a straight squeeze with no side movement. It does feel odd, but it's working,

Rocketvapor
09-06-2023, 01:50 PM
Something more to exasperate on....!!

While I wait on parts for the wife's Savage build, we will end up shooting the ARs for a couple months more.
I'm still waiting on my new AR barrel but she has plenty of life left in hers.
She has this tendency to throw a flier (and it AIN'T my reloading :) ).
Positional stability (she's a girl) and variability in cheek position (:p) is likely the cause.
A lighter pull, two stage also helped, some.
Trigger pinch helped a little, but she'll shoot 10 to 12 shots and have to readjust rest height, with the wheel (has a joystick rest).
Bad sign.

Granted we not be great shooters, but position stability is a must.

charlie b
09-06-2023, 09:53 PM
Do most of you guys just 'pinch' the trigger? I've tried it but not yet really comfortable with it.

Dave Hoback
09-06-2023, 10:33 PM
Hmm, no way, not me. I like my Magpul MOE & K2 grips far too much and have a full, firm grip on ‘em evertime I shoot. Only the pad of my finger touching the trigger blade and a straight back pull. I still give those CalGuns guys a hard time with their FINS on the back of pistol grips making it impossible to wrap the thumb around the grip portion! SACRI-LISCIOUS!

The Horror….The Horror!
https://i.ibb.co/g6P6Xrs/FBBFB140-D39-D-4-AB4-BB53-713-C5-FEC3-A1-D.jpg (https://imgbb.com/)

On an aside note: I actually very routinely work out my hand in dexterity training. I practice things like bending one finger at a time and condition movements which strengthen the ability to lock one’s hand in place, while maiming a free floating index finger almost in a detached state.

Rocketvapor
09-07-2023, 09:52 AM
The biggest detractor of those featureless grips is the looks.
Ugh.
Sure glad we don't live in one of those states.
Pinching might be something to try if you suspect you have a poor pull that might not be straight.
Heavy AR mil spec triggers can cause issues even with a strong trigger finger :)
I still think Flo is cheeking her fliers.

Fuj'
09-07-2023, 04:53 PM
I still think Flo is cheeking her fliers.

How low is her scope mounted ?? You might want to try some taller rings.
And it's possible that the scope is too far forward making her lean harder
on it.