PDA

View Full Version : light primer strikes.. new guy

Pages : 1 [2]

Grumpyoldguy
01-24-2023, 02:58 AM
You guys will have to tell me how to troubleshoot the trigger. eventually i will want to be around 2 pounds for target shooting. The previous owner bought it to go bear hunting but never went. the JP eliminator was nib . I put it on. it was bored out for the 338 bullet. works amazing. Cant go back to range this weekend, i will be stuck in town on call with work, so , but i can check out the trigger, so let me know on that one

Grumpyoldguy
01-24-2023, 03:04 AM
PPs .I have never had a issue with certain brands of primers not firing. I have Federal, winchester, CCI and remington. All of them go off in my model 70 guns and my model 700 guns, and everything else i have owned. the savage should do the same..

Dave Hoback
01-24-2023, 04:31 AM
The problem very well could have been the loose BAS (Bolt Action Screw), at the back of the bolt you found. That screw properly preloads the assembly. I would try it again to check.

wbm
01-24-2023, 08:23 AM
Ahh, yes, I see now. My apologies. (Because I can actually admit a mistake:rolleyes:).

"Never apologize. It's a sign of weakness." Rule# 6 Special Agent Jethro Gibbs NCIS.

Welcome Grumpyoldguy. These guys will eventually get you squared away...eventually.

prdatr
01-24-2023, 09:25 AM
"Never apologize, mister, It's a sign of weakness."

John Wayne from She Wore A Yellow Ribbon, 1949.

Dave Hoback
01-24-2023, 11:05 AM
Hmm, not really..

Grumpyoldguy
01-24-2023, 11:58 PM
LOL. yea i believe they will. I have the bolt all back together tonight and i checked out the accutrigger and turned it to lowest setting. seems to be functioning ok. Breaks at 3 and half pounds. will need to change that spring eventually. get it down to 2 pounds or less... Gonna load up the neck sized brass next time and see what happens.

gemihur
01-25-2023, 03:59 PM
MY 2¢, which ain't worth even 1¢ is that rebated rim cartridges are prone to soft strikes, having been overly sized in the FL die.
Ammo was not stated as reloaded but I experienced similar disappointments when making 35 Whelen from 30-06 brass and kissing the die with the shellholder
I'm grumpy too when that happens.

Grumpyoldguy
01-27-2023, 12:19 AM
Hey guys since i have the gun apart and have been checking out the accutrigger. the trigger return spring preload, is that something i can check while i have it apart or should i not worry about it at this point. I do have a lighter factory spring i am going to install if i can.

Dave Hoback
01-27-2023, 01:41 AM
Sure you can… just check it! The trigger will be at lowest preload when set to it’s shortest adjustment.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-27-2023, 09:27 AM
As far as FTF or light primer strikes, I don't have those issues. All rounds are loaded with the bullets seated INTO THE LANDS.
That holds the case head against the bolt face so it doesn't get pushed forward by the firing pin in the chamber.
And at the same time, the case will be fire formed to the chamber.
Care is taken NOT to push the case shoulder back when resizing and have the same situation come up again.
I know I can have problems pulling a live round with the bullet stuck in the lands and dumping powder in the action. I plan ahead. :cool:

Grumpyoldguy
01-27-2023, 03:56 PM
ok thanks guys

Robinhood
01-28-2023, 12:09 PM
if it is in fact a case headspace issue, take a fired case, put a piece of scotch tape on the head and trim it even with the head. place it in the chamber and see if the bolt closes. If so repeat with a second layer. Repeat until the bolt will not close. 2 pieces means you are probably over sizing your brass. Get back with us on your findings. There is a path.....

Grumpyoldguy
02-06-2023, 02:13 AM
Hey guys.... update.. no misfires on the neck sized brass. and trigger breaks at like 1 and half pounds with target spring. so thats cool.......... one wierd thing though.... at 25 yards i could only get up about a inch high before my turret topped out...I just put a brand new riton x1 conquer target 6 x 24 x 50 scope on it today. I checked the scope when i got home and it has 236 clicks from top to bottom. that is like 59 MOA. also the scope is sitting pretty high. it has talley rings on it and i have at least a quarter inch of clearance from front of scope to the barrel. I also checked the level. and scope is sitting level. so i guess see what happens at the 100 yard range.. more to be revealed next time!!

charlie b
02-06-2023, 10:56 AM
For a 100yd zero you should be about 1" low at 25yd. Remember, the bullet starts out about 1.5" below the scope line of sight.

But, if you plan on long range you'll need more adjustment. Are you sure the mounts are made for your rifle? Or, did someone put a 20moa rail on it and then install it backwards? The scope body should be either parallel to the receiver or low at the front.

Grumpyoldguy
02-07-2023, 12:30 AM
yea, hey charlie.. Yea its wierd. so i came home and ran the top turret up and down like 235 clicks... They are a one piece base and ring set up. Talley.. They are tall. measured from reciever to scope. like ... .79 or around 7/8 tall. both seem same height. i chronod my loads with 230 Eld,s x bullets. super slow right now. like 2300 fps. Been playing with a powder called IMR 7383. I need to be at 2700 for 1000 yard shot. which means i need to get up to at least 17 or 20 inches high at 100 yards. gonna load some 4064 next time and see what chrono tells me.. and go to the 100 yard range. whatever i am doing wrong its something simple or stupid or both..

prdatr
02-07-2023, 10:19 AM
yea, hey charlie.. Yea its wierd. so i came home and ran the top turret up and down like 235 clicks... They are a one piece base and ring set up. Talley.. They are tall. measured from reciever to scope. like ... .79 or around 7/8 tall. both seem same height. i chronod my loads with 230 Eld,s x bullets. super slow right now. like 2300 fps. Been playing with a powder called IMR 7383. I need to be at 2700 for 1000 yard shot. which means i need to get up to at least 17 or 20 inches high at 100 yards. gonna load some 4064 next time and see what chrono tells me.. and go to the 100 yard range. whatever i am doing wrong its something simple or stupid or both..

https://forum.accurateshooter.com/threads/need-hornady-data-please-help.3996370/

charlie b
02-08-2023, 11:46 AM
yea, hey charlie.. Yea its wierd.....whatever i am doing wrong its something simple or stupid or both..

That's usually the way it goes with me as well. :)

bear40
02-11-2023, 12:06 AM
This a 338 win mag. That round head spaces off of the belt. I have had a similar situation with a Rem. 700 that was fixed with new firing pin spring. If the gun had been rebarreled or apart I would wonder if they did not headspace it correctly. If you are using mag primers which I would guess you are and the head spacing is a little long that might cause some light strike but would just replace the spring myself.

PhilC
02-11-2023, 01:49 PM
The only time the belt matters is the first firing of new brass. After that, sizing the brass just like any other rimless cartridge negates the belt completely. I've done this with my belted mags since the early 90s and have zero headspace issues.