PDA

View Full Version : Lyman TUFF NUT Media

DIESEL TECH
12-04-2010, 11:23 AM
Guys a tried some Lyman tuff nut cleaning media and my brass look great BUT the problem is the inside of my cases have this red tint from the rouge in the media I washed it out with brake cleaner the best I could but after it dyed it still looks red inside. Will this hurt my barrel??? I don't think I am going to use this again, A pain in the *** I loaded 50 rounds last night and look at the other 50 case that I had not loaded yet and dump out all the Tuff NUT media and put my old corn cob media back in. The thing is I have got 50 cases with primer in them so I am screwed there. I guess the thing that troubling me will it hurt my barrel?

hunter540
12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
I don't think so... I use tuff nut on .223 brass for my AR-15 service rifle and have put 7500 rounds through the barrel with no adverse effects.
I think it just burns out on ignition.

DIESEL TECH
12-04-2010, 04:04 PM
Thanks for the fast reply, Maybe your right that it wont hurt anything?

JeepsAndGuns
12-04-2010, 08:30 PM
I tried and stopped using the same stuff for the same reason. It had the red residue inside the case, primer pocket and even the letters of the headstamp I that couldnt clean off. I still used the brass with no ill effects, but I have not used any since.
I cleaned the residue out of my tumbler best I could and have gone back to the green corn cob.

GaCop
12-05-2010, 08:31 AM
Nowadays, the best route to go is the ultrasonic cleaners. Brass is clean inside and out. My Lyman tumbler was a royal pain to clean the bowl of treated walnut media residue.

DIESEL TECH
12-05-2010, 09:47 AM
Nowadays, the best route to go is the ultrasonic cleaners. Brass is clean inside and out. My Lyman tumbler was a royal pain to clean the bowl of treated walnut media residue.

I did the samething I ordered a ultrasonic cleaner also, Have you heard of any problem with them? It was in the head stamps also, before I loaded them I wash them out with brake parts cleaner and it took out 90% of it.

Blue Avenger
12-05-2010, 11:38 AM
That red stuff made some of the shiniest brass I ever saw, but like most I did not care for the left over rouge.

JeepsAndGuns
12-05-2010, 11:50 AM
I think if I ever change media again, its gonna be to that fancy stainless steel stuff. Only thing keeping me away from it right now is the cost of the required tumbler.

GaCop
12-05-2010, 12:39 PM
No problems other than not being able to do too many cases at one time and having to run them through at least twice, sometimes three times depending how dirty/tarnished they are. Mine will handle about 150 .223s max. The inside of the cases is as clean as the exterior.