PDA

View Full Version : can i get a break?

toddtd
01-20-2023, 05:01 PM
i finally got covid two weeks ago, tired, dry cough, fever, aches, loss of taste and shortness of breath. my dr and i decided not to take the jab because i still have blood clots in my legs and he was afraid I didn't have another stroke. i called the dr and he gave me a prescription of horse pills that i had to take twice a day for five days. i slept alot and i found the taste of covid/prescription was all powerful, it made me taste like the outhouse after the next morning of adult beverages. one week ago, i had the flu, you know, the fever, nose, throat and all around it wiped me out. Tuesday afternoon, i was feeling fine when my lower back decided to give out. it took me until Thursday just to get out of bed. Friday, i climbed down the steps and sat at my table drinking coffee. what's next? black plague? hemorrhagic fever? ebola? i know, you remember The Stand by Steven King, i think its Captain Trip's, or the virus that makes the dead stand up and eat you. https://www.artfulbullet.com/smilies/rolling.gif

i know, i've got too, too much times on my hands.http://www.savageshooters.com/image/gif;base64,R0lGODlhAQABAIAAAAAAAP///yH5BAEAAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAIBRAA7

i bought the Speer 130gr hp for my 10" Contender in 30 Herrett. i was going to with cast boolits (hunt deer at 100 yards or less), but i figure Dad's (RIP) 115gr Speer hp in 7x30 Waters could kill deer, why not the 30 cal Speer. i was wondering if 22.0gr of Rel7 (up to 26 or 27 gr max load?) and the 130gr Speer is a good place to start? i don't have Quick load, but i got 5 or 6 lbs of Rel7. i have H4198(less than a lb), h322(1 lb), Win296(less than a lb), IMR 4895 (2 or 3lbs) and 2400 (5 or 6 lbs). i have to check but i think i got IMR3031 (less than 1lb) too.

J.Baker
01-20-2023, 05:38 PM
Can't help with the load info, but glad you're back on your feet. Better go knock on some wood before you come down with a shingles outbreak.

Rooterpig
01-20-2023, 05:53 PM
Glad you’re doing better. What medication did the doc give you ? Ivermectin?

thebeav
01-20-2023, 06:00 PM
Hope you're feeling yourself soon....

toddtd
01-20-2023, 07:28 PM
Glad you’re doing better. What medication did the doc give you ? Ivermectin?

paxlovid i think.

Rooterpig
01-20-2023, 10:37 PM
Thanks sir.

Bobby Tomek
01-20-2023, 10:42 PM
Glad you are beginning to feel better. I hope that trend continues! Between H4198 and Re7, you should be able to find a good load for that Speer 130 -- and it will indeed work for deer out to 100 yards or so.

FyrepowrX
01-20-2023, 11:18 PM
Hope you recover quickly from the 'rona , no fun feeling down. Wife and i have both had it twice, first time felt like the flu, second time it was more like a mild headcold.

i have used the speer 130HP's in quite a few small to mid-size .30's, and at speeds up to 2500-ish or so they make fine deer bullets, and i have my 20" MGM 30-30 contender carbine sighted with that bullet. Speer made that same bullet design in several calibers & they have done very well for me; i've used the .257-100gr, the 7mm-115, and the .308-130, all with fine success. At higher speeds they do fragment, but at milder levels they mushroom well without breaking up...the last .308-130 speer bullet i shot a deer with was with the 30-30 MGM tube i mentioned, , it plowed through both shoulders & was just under the skin on the off-side.

on the herrett, i did not have much luck with 110/296, mediocre accuracy. With 2400, accuracy was good but it tended to stack pressures quickly, and some book max loads listed for 2400 were well past what i was comfortable with. I'll find some data from my last round of load tests for the herrett, it was in an 18" carbine barrel, so speeds will be a bit off, but maybe powder data will be of use.

4198 & 4227 were my go-to powders for years in the herrett, but i did find my barrel did well with CFE-BLK in the herrett. I loaded up a batch of test loads with new powders, Norma200, and Vv-N120, havent got to go shoot them yet.