PDA

View Full Version : this one's for my late father-in-law

Bobby Tomek
01-18-2023, 11:35 AM
https://i.postimg.cc/N0Rg4m5p/thermal-2506-115bt-1-17-23.jpg (https://postimg.cc/SXNFQXLM)

Back on the now-defunct SP forums, I mentioned a Savage Axis 25-06 that used to belong to my father-in-law. All this time I have meant to get it up and running but always seemed to encounter delays. Well, we've put a Timney trigger in it, and I topped it with a Thor LT 160 4-8x for the coyotes that have grown ultra-bold as of late. A mild load with the Nosler 115 grain BT completed the package.

The thermal, which arrived via Amazon/USPS early on MLK day, is low-end and on the crude side, but last night around 10, it worked to perfection on a rogue boar that showed up at just over 130 yards. The bullet centered and absolutely pulverized the heart and left a one-inch exit hole on the opposite shoulder. He whirled and dropped. Now maybe the gut pile will entice a coyote into thermal range.

My father-in-law was excited about rigging-out this rifle and the deal he got on it but passed away before he ever got it up and running. So this one is for him...

sunnysmarine
01-18-2023, 11:59 AM
Very nice send off... Am sure he is smiling on you

Kylongrifle
01-18-2023, 02:41 PM
Bobby
I'm sure he is pleased with you continuing on with his rifle

Rooterpig
01-18-2023, 05:01 PM
Really cool Bobby …. I guarantee he’s stocked

mrk1500
01-18-2023, 05:39 PM
Nice Bobby! Good to read your posts again!

BT
01-18-2023, 10:46 PM
Good pig and a neat tribute. I had an Axis in 243 long enough to put a few rounds through it sighting it in, then sold it, regretfully.

PhilC
01-19-2023, 09:32 AM
Very nice tribute!

toddtd
01-19-2023, 02:31 PM
i smell bacon!!!!!! good job!!!!!

tred1956
01-19-2023, 04:50 PM
Outstanding My Friend
Safe shooting
Doug

Bobby Tomek
01-20-2023, 09:41 PM
Well, that rifle got used again around 2 a.m. this morning. Three coyotes entered the field where the hog remains were dumped. Only two of them left.

The 115 grain Nosler BT from app. 170 yards worked its magic. The male coyote weighed 39.5 pounds.

https://i.postimg.cc/W1xLQyg8/coyote-jan20-2023.jpg (https://postimages.org/)

Bobby Tomek
01-21-2023, 03:46 AM
Well, you can definitely tell what time of year it is as I took another mature male coyote tonight. That bolt rifle is growing on me ha ha.

https://i.postimg.cc/tJXF9yLH/20230121-011031.jpg (https://postimg.cc/CBQRNyhv)

BT
01-21-2023, 01:59 PM
You’re on a roll, Hoss! Keep it going.

Bobby Tomek
01-23-2023, 03:48 PM
Thanks, guys. I finally got to check the speed of the AA2495/115 grain Ballistic Tip load. It's moving out at a sedate 2741 fps (uncorrected from 15 feet). While it doesn't take full advantage of the potential of the cartridge, for my usage, that's all the power I could ever need.

Brass should last indefinitely with this mild load.

BobT
01-25-2023, 07:12 AM
Looks like you have things dialed in pretty well Bobby ! How do you like that ATN ? I have been looking at getting some sort of thermal for hogs and coyotes.

Bobby Tomek
01-25-2023, 09:56 AM
For my needs, it gets the job done, so I like it. But it is indeed crude in terms of image quality, so your range is limited. Under good conditions, 175 yards is doable for a mature hog. The "good" thermals that most folks recommend cost three times the price of this unit.

The things I like about it: it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like recording/video and bluetooth, so that not only keeps the price down but makes it more simple for someone like me to operate. One of the reticles options is a small dot, which I greatly prefer. It has an internal battery, and the factory-claimed 10 hour life seems pretty accurate, so it should last through most hunting scenarios...even if you leave it on. It has a 30mm tube, so you have a choice of rings and height.

The negatives (besides crude image quality): The mounting length of the tube is such that I could not put it on one of my Contenders unless I got a longer base. The scope cover is hard to put on if you leave the eyepiece baffle on the unit. And the contrast/brightness settings could use a finer, more linear adjustment range, which would benefit image quality a bit.

I originally got a Sightmark Wraith Mini 4K, which is night vision, but it would not hold zero at all. You could sight it in, and 30 minutes later it would be off by 8 to 10 inches.

BobT
01-25-2023, 04:25 PM
For my needs, it gets the job done, so I like it. But it is indeed crude in terms of image quality, so your range is limited. Under good conditions, 175 yards is doable for a mature hog. The "good" thermals that most folks recommend cost three times the price of this unit.

The things I like about it: it doesn't have all the bells and whistles like recording/video and bluetooth, so that not only keeps the price down but makes it more simple for someone like me to operate. One of the reticles options is a small dot, which I greatly prefer. It has an internal battery, and the factory-claimed 10 hour life seems pretty accurate, so it should last through most hunting scenarios...even if you leave it on. It has a 30mm tube, so you have a choice of rings and height.

The negatives (besides crude image quality): The mounting length of the tube is such that I could not put it on one of my Contenders unless I got a longer base. The scope cover is hard to put on if you leave the eyepiece baffle on the unit. And the contrast/brightness settings could use a finer, more linear adjustment range, which would benefit image quality a bit.

I originally got a Sightmark Wraith Mini 4K, which is night vision, but it would not hold zero at all. You could sight it in, and 30 minutes later it would be off by 8 to 10 inches.

Thanks for the review, I was actually looking at the Thor 4 for the video capability. The hogs in our area are not nearly as plentiful as they were a couple of years ago, the MDC has been helicopter shooting pretty heavily for the last couple of years. They won't get them all but they have killed enough that it will take a few years for them to bounce back.

Bobby Tomek
01-25-2023, 07:53 PM
No problem. The hogs are not plentiful here anymore, either. And while I know they do lots of damage, we actually miss them as they not only provide some sporting opportunities for many people but are a source of good table fare.

Am wondering why the words "night vision" in my post above became a link to Wal-Mart. I certainly didn't do that LOL.