PDA

View Full Version : Hoarder breaks down

Stumpkiller
01-13-2023, 09:32 PM
Some years ago (30+) I shot a LOT of .38 Special in PPC with the local county sheriffs. Work changes, a move, etc. caused me to no longer shoot in competition. But at that time it was nothing to go through 240 rounds in a weekend during "the season". I had many hundreds of mid-range wadcutters, SWC and even a good supply of JHP upstairs in my ammo locker. Years of occasional small-game wadcutter tossing and plinking used up that supply. But some remains!

Fell onto the semi-auto truck as well so the poor 'ol S&W K-38 M-14 has been neglected. Well, I am now retired and I figured it is time to load up some more and do more shooting rather than sitting on it. And, also, as NY no longer allow mail-order I'm going to watch my supply of .22LR/.22WRM carefully. I have other powders and primers, but in one corner of my work area I discovered a container of the "old" .38 Special components. I recently picked up a supply of Berry's 125gr copper-plated HP that I want to try as "plinkers" into some recently steel-pin tossed and polished cases (CBC headstamp - I believe that is Brazil - my notes say "MagTech" brand). The primers are CCI500 that have an $8.99 Dick's price sticker on the box of 1000 (back when Dick's had one store - and Dick Stack had balls and sold pistols and catered to hunters and fishermen, unlike his wimp brother Ed, who went golf and exercise equipment crazy) and the Unique powder has a price of $7.99 on the one pound cardboard tube.

And, yes, for better or worse I had the primers in the same container as the powder (and some W296 and W231 as well). Also a 500 count box of Hornady 158gr lead SWC and a 100 count box of locally cast (hard) lead HBWC. Also, a box of Hornady 158gr lead SWC - $14.99/500. I'll move on to using them up as well. I used to shoot those in a Colt Trooper III and, God, did that thing lead up. That's why those went into storage.

If nothing else the powders and primers will demonstrate the storage climate of my basement workshop! When I get around to shooting the results (if the rain ever stops) I will report back with the results. I'll probably run at least the first pop through my .38/.357 Contender . . . just in case.

charlie b
01-14-2023, 09:27 AM
The evidence that I don't shoot pistol much is a 'can' of Blue Dot I still have. The older 'pop top' container type. I transferred it to a more secure container (Hodgdon plastic) years ago so it still works well.

I try to shoot the little guns every now and then just to stay in 'shape'. But it's only about 50rnds at a session.

PS it is not hoarding if you shoot every now and then. :) If you collected .38spl ammo and didn't have a .38spl pistol, then that would be hoarding :)

Dave Hoback
01-15-2023, 04:32 PM
Some years ago (30+) I shot a LOT of .38 Special in PPC with the local county sheriffs. Work changes, a move, etc. caused me to no longer shoot in competition. But at that time it was nothing to go through 240 rounds in a weekend during "the season". I had many hundreds of mid-range wadcutters, SWC and even a good supply of JHP upstairs in my ammo locker. Years of occasional small-game wadcutter tossing and plinking used up that supply. But some remains!

Fell onto the semi-auto truck as well so the poor 'ol S&W K-38 M-14 has been neglected. Well, I am now retired and I figured it is time to load up some more and do more shooting rather than sitting on it. And, also, as NY no longer allow mail-order I'm going to watch my supply of .22LR/.22WRM carefully. I have other powders and primers, but in one corner of my work area I discovered a container of the "old" .38 Special components. I recently picked up a supply of Berry's 125gr copper-plated HP that I want to try as "plinkers" into some recently steel-pin tossed and polished cases (CBC headstamp - I believe that is Brazil - my notes say "MagTech" brand). The primers are CCI500 that have an $8.99 Dick's price sticker on the box of 1000 (back when Dick's had one store - and Dick Stack had balls and sold pistols and catered to hunters and fishermen, unlike his wimp brother Ed, who went golf and exercise equipment crazy) and the Unique powder has a price of $7.99 on the one pound cardboard tube.

And, yes, for better or worse I had the primers in the same container as the powder (and some W296 and W231 as well). Also a 500 count box of Hornady 158gr lead SWC and a 100 count box of locally cast (hard) lead HBWC. Also, a box of Hornady 158gr lead SWC - $14.99/500. I'll move on to using them up as well. I used to shoot those in a Colt Trooper III and, God, did that thing lead up. That's why those went into storage.

If nothing else the powders and primers will demonstrate the storage climate of my basement workshop! When I get around to shooting the results (if the rain ever stops) I will report back with the results. I'll probably run at least the first pop through my .38/.357 Contender . . . just in case.

LOL! Hey man… that’s why you just need to lean on a second. You want something, just order & send to me in NE Pennsylvania. I’ll re-address and send to you in New York. I tell people this all the time. I’ll send them high cap magazines, Hollow Point Ammunition, Flash Hiders, pistol grips.. whatever NY doesn’t allow… anything to stick in their craw! Happy to do so. You ever need something, let me know.

Stumpkiller
01-15-2023, 11:36 PM
Thank you. Just across the border from me in PA is a shop that advertizes "Dounts and Ammo". I have had their doughnuts but may need some ammo. ;-)
I'll keep your kind offer in mind. But I laid up enough stock to make CNN headlines as an "arsenal" when Hillary was running. :peace:

Primers seem to be the largest concern. But I don't think that matters where anyone lives.

I am waiting for some idiot to decide thumbhole stocks are murderous terrorist accessories. I like my Savage with Boyd's thumbhole.

charlie b
01-16-2023, 10:19 AM
Thank you. Just across the border from me in PA is a shop that advertizes "Dounts and Ammo". I have had their doughnuts but may need some ammo. ;-)...

ROFLMAO Reminds me of one of my motorcycle trips. We were traveling into Utah from the North rim of the Grand Canyon and stopped for gas in Fedonia (tiny town).

The storefront read JUDD'S AUTO LOTTO-GUNS-AMMO-BEER :) When we went inside, instead of a long counter with candy and junk there was indeed a gun rack and case with some really nice single action Colts and lever guns. Mostly older Marlins and Winchesters, including an 1895 in .405. If I had been in my car I might have bought that one. At the time it was $1700.

prdatr
01-17-2023, 03:51 PM
ROFLMAO Reminds me of one of my motorcycle trips. We were traveling into Utah from the North rim of the Grand Canyon and stopped for gas in Fedonia (tiny town).

The storefront read JUDD'S AUTO LOTTO-GUNS-AMMO-BEER :) When we went inside, instead of a long counter with candy and junk there was indeed a gun rack and case with some really nice single action Colts and lever guns. Mostly older Marlins and Winchesters, including an 1895 in .405. If I had been in my car I might have bought that one. At the time it was $1700.

Some really big Mule Deer up in that area.

charlie b
01-17-2023, 04:18 PM
Yep. Most of them out here get pretty big.

Never asked, Central AZ as in Phx or suburb? I grew up in Glendale.

prdatr
02-07-2023, 10:38 AM
Yep. Most of them out here get pretty big.

Never asked, Central AZ as in Phx or suburb? I grew up in Glendale.

Mesa. Nice weather for 7-8 months but you get used to the blast furnace effect. At least I can be up around 7,400' in the pines in two hours.

Dave Hoback
02-07-2023, 06:31 PM
Mesa. Nice weather for 7-8 months but you get used to the blast furnace effect. At least I can be up around 7,400' in the pines in two hours.

I felt the same way living in Tucson. No matter how hot, an hour ride to Summerhaven, on top of Mount Lemmon at 8200’ elevation. The name says it all, Summerhaven! 110+ degrees in Tucson, but would be 70 degrees at the Mount Lemmon cafe. One of my wife’s & my favorite spots with some amazing chili and homemade pie! Ahhh, Tucson… still my favorite place on earth.

charlie b
02-07-2023, 07:05 PM
Yep, one of the best things about central AZ is it is relatively close to the mountains. Same thing here in southern NM, but, we don't get the blast furnace. 110 is unusual here.

Due to a lot of family and job stuff I have spent a lot more time in the valley's (Phx and Tus) than I really wanted to. I still really dislike visiting in summer. Doesn't help any that it doesn't look or feel anything like it did when I grew up there.

Dave Hoback
02-13-2023, 03:00 PM
Yep, one of the best things about central AZ is it is relatively close to the mountains. Same thing here in southern NM, but, we don't get the blast furnace. 110 is unusual here.

Due to a lot of family and job stuff I have spent a lot more time in the valley's (Phx and Tus) than I really wanted to. I still really dislike visiting in summer. Doesn't help any that it doesn't look or feel anything like it did when I grew up there.

I like NM as well. Ya know, going through NM the first time was the most isolated, & eerily loneliest places I’ve ever traveled. It the only time I’ve felt that if the car broke down or we ran out of fuel, we would likely die. Of course we wouldn’t have, just that feeling it gave. I loved it. Also, visiting White Sands is still one of the coolest things I’ve ever seen! Pay for sand in their gift shop?? HA! I made sure my SHOES were extra filled with that sand, LOL! Great memories.

charlie b
02-13-2023, 05:21 PM
Yep, lots of desolate areas in the west. If you want middle of nowhere try Nevada :)

Just west of White Sands Nat Monument on US70 there is a place where the dunes are blowing across the highway. They have to push all that sand off about once a year. Easy to stop and fill whatever container you have since it is outside the monument fence. Every now and then they do a midnight thing at the monument. REALLY cool. I used to work a few miles west of the monument at a high power laser site (yes, you can see it from the highway).