PDA

View Full Version : Can someone measure the rail height on a Savage 110 tactical?

Pages : [1] 2

Jackal1966
01-12-2023, 11:36 PM
I ordered a Savage 110 Tactical and it should be in next Tuesday.
The scope I have for it is already here.
It is a 44 mm objective 30mm tube size.
If someone can give me the following measurement, I can buy or order the rings.
The measurement is from the top of the rail, to where it mounts on the gun.
Otherwise, I can wait til it comes in.
Thanks in advance for any help.

Dave Hoback
01-13-2023, 12:41 AM
Don’t need to measure the rail. That is the buffer used, as they are all pretty close. Unless an extra tall style is being used. You have your scope. Just measure the diameter of your objective and divide that number in half. Whatever that number is the equivalent scope ring height you’d want. You will likely want Low rings. Honestly, I like higher rings & a cheek-weld support. For years & years I’ve used only Chassis with an adjustable cheek-weld. But even on a standard stock, I’d run slightly higher & do something about a cheek-weld.

Which scope do you have & what brand rings are you wanting to use?

Jackal1966
01-13-2023, 01:51 AM
I have a Primary Arms 4x16x44 scope with the Butler Creek type flip up covers.
I'm looking at different rings at Academy Sports, also I'm going to Cabela's/Bass pro tomorrow.
Haven't decided on a brand of rings as much as I want one that has 4 screws holding top/bottom together.
This Savage comes with the Accustock.
It has (5) different cheekpieces that are interchangeable.
I may look at the mid-rings tomorrow.
Cabela's may have a 44mm objective scope and a rifle with the 20 MOA rail.
Thanks for the help.

Dave Hoback
01-13-2023, 03:20 AM
Low rings will work fine, but if it were me, I’d go with a medium height.

Yes, I understand what you mean with the rings. I’ve always followed the same point for 2-screws per side on the ring caps. One other point I’d stress… to get rings made of 7075 Aluminum. Or steel, although only a few manufacturers have steel rings like this anymore.. I still prefer 7075-T6 Aluminum. Honestly though, you really can’t go wrong. Leupold, Badger, TPS, Nightforce, Valdada, Tier One, Audere, Seekins… and many, MANY others are at the top. These are the higher priced pairs of rings, typically in the $130-$170 price range. Then there are the more economical rings. These are rings like Vortex, EGR, Burris, Athlon, Arken, Warne and seems there are new manufacturers every month. Some of these even are made of 7075 or steel, but many are using the much softer 6061 Aluminum. And may not have the best machining, compared to the more premium options. However, time & again it’s been proven even very inexpensive rings will hold the scope securely & provide consistency. So choose what you like, and your ​budget allows.

Jackal1966
01-13-2023, 10:05 AM
Dave,
Thanks a lot.
I really appreciate it
I'll let you know what I get.

Jack

deadduck357
01-13-2023, 10:46 PM
It's a crap shoot, ring manufacturers don't follow one another per their "Low, Med, High" heights. You have to go to the manufacturer's web site and look up their technical specs and for some reason not all of them list it. You may get lucky, I rarely ever have, and get it to your desired height the first time. I'm the worlds worst on having to send/return scope rings back for another height. Good luck lol.

I couldn't measure mine for you as I replace the factory installed Pic mount for another, wouldn't be exact.

Dave Hoback
01-14-2023, 07:25 AM
It's a crap shoot, ring manufacturers don't follow one another per their "Low, Med, High" heights. You have to go to the manufacturer's web site and look up their technical specs and for some reason not all of them list it. You may get lucky, I rarely ever have, and get it to your desired height the first time. I'm the worlds worst on having to send/return scope rings back for another height. Good luck lol.

I couldn't measure mine for you as I replace the factory installed Pic mount for another, wouldn't be exact.

Precisely the reason having an adjustable cheek weld is so invaluable.

Jackal1966
01-14-2023, 02:27 PM
Thanks for the info guys.
When the gun comes in, I'll lay it on a towel or something.
Then, out the scope where I want it, and measure with calipers how thick the rings need to be at the bottom.
The local shops will let me take my calipers in and check the rings.
I'll post here what I end up with.

Dave Hoback
01-14-2023, 03:08 PM
Tell you the truth Jackal, you want to be mindful if including the rail in the measurement. As I previously said, the rail serves as “buffer”. If you include the rail & choose rings based on that measurement included, you run the risk of the scope objective touching the barrel. You’ll make yourself nuts trying to find rings with the included allotment above the barrel. And to what height then? 1/8” between scope & barrel? 1/4”? Better to decide which brand rings you want first, and use the measurement you already possess; that being half the scope’s objective diameter. In your case, having a 44mm scope, that would be 22mm. Of course, you could measure your objectives outer diameter, as it will be slightly more than 44mm. However, for sake of debate rings that 22mm (.86”), from base to center of ring, will absolutely fit well.

Now, I do not presume to decide your choice of rings, so please do not read into this as any more than example. These rings will fit. https://www.amazon.com/Vortex-Optics-Pro-Riflescope-Rings/dp/B07MM31P3D/ref=sxin_15_pa_sp_search_thematic_sspa?content-id=amzn1.sym.14a246c3-7a62-40bf-bdd0-5ac67c2a1913%3Aamzn1.sym.14a246c3-7a62-40bf-bdd0-5ac67c2a1913&crid=37617PVIK7X0D&cv_ct_cx=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm&keywords=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm&pd_rd_i=B07MSJP2JY&pd_rd_r=cdfbbe07-876f-411d-bdc0-b7e603c7f73d&pd_rd_w=4lJlG&pd_rd_wg=U3NgO&pf_rd_p=14a246c3-7a62-40bf-bdd0-5ac67c2a1913&pf_rd_r=YJ02HG7YD16JZPV91FD3&qid=1673722157&sprefix=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm%2Caps%2C68&sr=1-1-a73d1c8c-2fd2-4f19-aa41-2df022bcb241-spons&smid=A1Y49AICJXP0NC&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExUjJBMzBaOFNZTE8xJ mVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwOTAyODgxMUVCVUlKTTZHQ0ZBRCZlbmN yeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwMTc3OTgwNzFRTEdXUVo4REVNJndpZGdld E5hbWU9c3Bfc2VhcmNoX3RoZW1hdGljJmFjdGlvbj1jbGlja1J lZGlyZWN0JmRvTm90TG9nQ2xpY2s9dHJ1ZQ&th=1

This is the reason for leaving the rail as a buffer zone. It serves to having no fear of the scope contacting the barrel & allows for obtaining proper eye level through cheek weld.

Robinhood
01-14-2023, 06:14 PM
My $.02, you will be fine with low rings. All the photos I have seen of the 110 tactical shows that it comes with it comes with the common F/class rail with the forward extension for prone shooters the only thing you need to worry about is the front bell hitting the rail. This is only a concern if you have a real short scope. I try to keep my low. If I have to I will modify the front of the rail for clearance. But with a 44 objective you will not have any issues. if it was a 56mm then the conversation might be different. https://images.guns.com/prod/hGp2Ngb4yoaxfrLjIFtFAYGa2O5LLnz0yLEl2Uao.png

Robinhood
01-14-2023, 06:22 PM
Excuse me

Dave Hoback
01-14-2023, 08:34 PM
Excuse me

What’d ya do.. Burp or Fart? :biggrin-new:

Jackal1966
01-14-2023, 09:47 PM
I like the looks of those Vortex rings.
My scope is a 44mm objective, but I haven't measure the outside dia of the flip up cover on the end.
I'll measure that tomorrow, so I can include it in the figuring.

Dave Hoback
01-14-2023, 10:51 PM
It won’t account for much extra measurement honestly. And like Robin said, any Low rings will work fine because your scope is just 44mm objective. I encourage you sit down & look at various style ring sets. A great way to search is go to Google “Image” search. Type in
“7075 Scope Ring set 30mm Low” You will get hundreds of picture links of different styles. Those Vortex are decent, yes, but I strongly encourage you do a search & research yourself. You may very well find a set of rings that just blow you away, and are perfect for setup! There really are so, so many super high quality scope rings out there. The ones I mentioned are a drop in the bucket! Sincerely. Don’t jump at the first thing you see. Do the research. It will pay off in the end.

PhilC
01-15-2023, 05:12 PM
Vortex Pro series rings are made by Seekins and are very good rings.

deadduck357
01-15-2023, 10:52 PM
Vortex Pro series rings are made by Seekins and are very good rings.
I usually use TPS rings but I do have two, maybe three rifles that I've used the Vortex Pro rings on and I agree they are pretty good rings - no complaints.

Dave Hoback
01-15-2023, 11:22 PM
I usually use TPS rings but I do have two, maybe three rifles that I've used the Vortex Pro rings on and I agree they are pretty good rings - no complaints.

I started using TPS TSR rings back in like 2006 or so. And I always recommend them for consideration. To be honest though, I do prefer the Audere PSR rings I now use, much more. However, the TPS will always have a place in my heart as they were the first premium style rings I used. Always remember the first, eh?;)

Nothing wrong with Vortex for sure. I always list those and a couple others in a Mid-Tier group. They are 7075-T6 and like $80. Not bad. But the prize for the Mid-Tier group goes to Arken! 7075-T6 Billet, same PSR design like the Vortex… and at $65, I don’t know of a better deal.
https://www.amazon.com/Arken-Optics-Precision-Picatinny-Riflescope/dp/B0BKZV9B19/ref=sr_1_28?crid=2L9R5F2JQX5HM&keywords=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm&qid=1673838729&sprefix=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-28&th=1

I will also say that Leupold has finally gotten it right for the 2-pice Scope ring mounts. They are now making them in 7075 Billet & using two-screw per side top caps. Not my choice(give me Picatinny Rail/Rings any day!), but I think these are great for people who have always used this style… rather, the older steel kind with screw per side caps.
https://www.amazon.com/LEU-BCK-Cntry-Rem-30mm/dp/B07DNT28BN/ref=sr_1_91?crid=2L9R5F2JQX5HM&keywords=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm&qid=1673838520&sprefix=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-91&th=1

Regardless… this is all just for example. Please, please understand that. I always encourage every person to search, & more importantly, research on each one’s own! Different parts speak to us differently. And sometimes we just come across a certain brand and it just catches you. So never buy something on the word of another person alone!

deadduck357
01-18-2023, 06:18 AM
I started using TPS TSR rings back in like 2006 or so. And I always recommend them for consideration. To be honest though, I do prefer the Audere PSR rings I now use, much more. However, the TPS will always have a place in my heart as they were the first premium style rings I used. Always remember the first, eh?;)

Nothing wrong with Vortex for sure. I always list those and a couple others in a Mid-Tier group. They are 7075-T6 and like $80. Not bad. But the prize for the Mid-Tier group goes to Arken! 7075-T6 Billet, same PSR design like the Vortex… and at $65, I don’t know of a better deal.
https://www.amazon.com/Arken-Optics-Precision-Picatinny-Riflescope/dp/B0BKZV9B19/ref=sr_1_28?crid=2L9R5F2JQX5HM&keywords=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm&qid=1673838729&sprefix=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-28&th=1

I will also say that Leupold has finally gotten it right for the 2-pice Scope ring mounts. They are now making them in 7075 Billet & using two-screw per side top caps. Not my choice(give me Picatinny Rail/Rings any day!), but I think these are great for people who have always used this style… rather, the older steel kind with screw per side caps.
https://www.amazon.com/LEU-BCK-Cntry-Rem-30mm/dp/B07DNT28BN/ref=sr_1_91?crid=2L9R5F2JQX5HM&keywords=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm&qid=1673838520&sprefix=7075%2Bscope%2Brings%2B30mm%2Caps%2C71&sr=8-91&th=1

Regardless… this is all just for example. Please, please understand that. I always encourage every person to search, & more importantly, research on each one’s own! Different parts speak to us differently. And sometimes we just come across a certain brand and it just catches you. So never buy something on the word of another person alone!
I've never heard of Audere, will have to check them out.

Hey I used those Arken Halo rings on my latest rifle but I was a bit embarrassed to even suggest them. They are actually pretty darn nice - no complaints, pretty impressed. For the price they are really nice.

Dave Hoback
01-18-2023, 07:50 AM
Never be embarrassed my friend. People here aren’t driven by high dollar signs. Quality is quality. The truth is, scope rings are very simple components. They have only two very simple jobs: One is to hold the scope in place & not move! Honestly, a finely done “Duct Tape” job could do, LOL! Their other job is look good doing it. And anyone who claims they don’t care how they look, as long as they perform, yadda, yadda, yadda…. Is a darn lier! I caught on to the Arken rings immediately. And yes, they are a hell of a good deal. They perform every bit as well as rings costing double, even triple what they do! Remember, scope rings & mounts don’t have “stages” of working well. They either work, or they DON’T! Doesn’t matter whether they cost $30, or $200. Honestly, if you are already using the Arken & are happy with them, don’t feel pressured to use something else just because. The only real reason to use whichever ring set we do, is because we are either visually or monetarily drawn to them.

These are the Audere. They are actually Italian made. But at 26mm, I believe they are still a bit higher than you want. https://www.amazon.com/MK-Machining-Audere-Accessories-Compatible/dp/B08XB8M5V4?th=1&psc=1

Jackal1966
01-18-2023, 09:03 AM
I ended up with UTG.
A few years ago I bought one of their bipods and it seems great.
The gun shop has sold out of a lot of their scope accessories at Christmas.
The UTG were the best looking 30mm they had in stock.
He also told me anytime later on I could bring them back if I didn't like them.
So , for now this should work.
I'll let y'all know if they don't.