PDA

View Full Version : Target action screw torque

Raydee38
01-12-2023, 05:48 PM
I am using a Target action (2 screw) with a wood stock that has been bedded with pillars. I am wondering what torque I should set the actions screws at?

Dave Hoback
01-12-2023, 07:13 PM
Get ready:rolleyes: You are about to get all kinds of different points of view. All different manner of screw torque.. “35In.Lbs. Front, 15In.Lbs. Rear”, “38In.Lbs. Front, 5In.Lbs. Rear”, “41In.Lbs. Front, 21In.Lbs. Rear.”.., and so on, & so forth; with a reason why for each one. I don’t believe in Action Screw Torque Tuning, as it’s referred to. Tuning with reloads is much more proficient. I believe in Action to Stock Creep. Which is the stock, like hard wood being the worst, of crushing under the compression torque & the Action moving as a result. A solid component, like an Aluminum Chassis or Pillars in your stock, virtually arrest creep. If I had your setup, I’d torque the Front & Rear to 45-50In.Lbs. Maybe 5In.Lbs less for the rear. (For the bit of superstition in human nature;))

GrenGuy
01-12-2023, 08:37 PM
Target Action? If You want the MAXIMUM ACCURACY Your rifle is CAPABLE of.....

GLUE the action into the stock

Works for some...maybe even a lot !

Raydee38
01-12-2023, 09:05 PM
Get ready:rolleyes: You are about to get all kinds of different points of view. All different manner of screw torque.. “35In.Lbs. Front, 15In.Lbs. Rear”, “38In.Lbs. Front, 5In.Lbs. Rear”, “41In.Lbs. Front, 21In.Lbs. Rear.”.., and so on, & so forth; with a reason why for each one. I don’t believe in Action Screw Torque Tuning, as it’s referred to. Tuning with reloads is much more proficient. I believe in Action to Stock Creep. Which is the stock, like hard wood being the worst, of crushing under the compression torque & the Action moving as a result. A solid component, like an Aluminum Chassis or Pillars in your stock, virtually arrest creep. If I had your setup, I’d torque the Front & Rear to 45-50In.Lbs. Maybe 5In.Lbs less for the rear. (For the bit of superstition in human nature;))
Thanks for the info, I have only used Chassis so each manufacturer had a set number for their chassis. I will start at 45in.lbs and go from there.

Dave Hoback
01-13-2023, 04:02 AM
Thanks for the info, I have only used Chassis so each manufacturer had a set number for their chassis. I will start at 45in.lbs and go from there.

Same here. All Aluminum Chassis’. I set mine to 65-front & 60-rear.