PDA

View Full Version : Can I still just call Savage and get parts for my 110?

rickt300
01-08-2023, 09:10 PM
Need a 30-06 length blind mag box, follower and spring for a centerfeed 110.

Turkeytider
01-08-2023, 10:41 PM
Need a 30-06 length blind mag box, follower and spring for a centerfeed 110.

One would hope you could. Good after the sale customer service is a hallmark of a good company and a key to repeat business.

nksmfamjp
01-08-2023, 11:10 PM
IME, they ask for your serial number, then they want to sell you only parts that were in that bill of material.

Dave Hoback
01-08-2023, 11:35 PM
Thats a negative ghost rider! Savage typically only sells parts to Gsmiths. I’ve heard of some people getting lucky though. So doesn’t hurt too give it a try.

Turkeytider
01-09-2023, 08:26 AM
Thats a negative ghost rider! Savage typically only sells parts to Gsmiths. I’ve heard of some people getting lucky though. So doesn’t hurt too give it a try.

That`s interesting Dave. I know that you can procure parts from some gun companies, I`ve done it. I wonder what Savage`s rationale is for that?

wbm
01-09-2023, 08:42 AM
_.

Dave Hoback
01-09-2023, 10:34 AM
Oh yeah… they’ll sell you a stock or a barrel maybe… but I’ve never heard of people successfully buying magazine parts, or trigger parts, etc. But like I said, give it a try. Who knows.

PhilC
01-09-2023, 10:49 AM
Can't hurt to call if that fails try Gunshack or Gun Parts Company.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-09-2023, 11:04 AM
Seems like on "some parts" from Savage (that you wouldn't consider) an FFL # was needed. Got nothing to lose by trying.

J.Baker
01-09-2023, 12:23 PM
The only parts that are generally restricted by Savage are trigger parts and bolt parts. Both present obvious liability issues due to potential safety issues. Magazine parts and stocks aren't generally an issue. Also, since it's a center feed you can just pop the bottom cap off a centerfeed DBM as the metal housing and follower are the same. Only thing you'd be missing is the L-hanger for the back of the magazine.

And no, Savage won't sell you a barrel unless you send your action in to them so the barrel can be installed on it, and these days I don't even know if they'd do that anymore. They'd probably just tell you to get an aftermarket barrel so they don't have to mess with it.

GrenGuy
01-09-2023, 01:19 PM
I have always been able to get what I need without dealing with Savage. But I have shot with some Savage Savvy shooters who claim IT ALL DEPENDS ON WHO YOU TALK TO AT SAVAGE. As to rather You can get what You need from Savage or not. Back through the years some have posted the same experiences on this site. I THINK You can get just about anything You need if You go through a Savage recognized Gun Smith or FFL.

To shoot in Factory Class in IBS or GBA, the rifle has to be UNALTERED from the factory, with very few exceptions to that rule. When a barrel is shot out until it looses its match accuracy, it can’t be replaced with an aftermarket barrel and still qualify for Factory Class. I have spoken with 2 shooters who have sent rifles back to Savage for barrel replacement, keeping them within the Factory Class rules. How this was accomplished, or who they talked to, I do not know.

Whynot
01-09-2023, 01:39 PM
The only parts that are generally restricted by Savage are trigger parts and bolt parts. Both present obvious liability issues due to potential safety issues. .

I don't doubt that's the case- but curious how this works when you have companies that will sell a trigger to anyone... Does the fact that it is "aftermarket" change the liability issue? Or is it that most of those triggers are more drop in- so less that can be messed up? I'd be interested to hear a reason for this. In this sue happy world I get trying to cover your butt.

I called savage before- told them my serial # and they said it was before the current company had acquired the business so they had no record of how the gun was configured from the factory so they could not sell me anything. It wasn't even one of the super old guns- kind of surprising.

charlie b
01-09-2023, 04:44 PM
Probably cause most of those companies are 'too small' for a big lawsuit. Gun mfgs have big targets on them so anything happens and the fingers are pointed at them.

We had a couple of products we made for a bit. Turned out a competitor was sued when one of theirs broke (due to user misuse) and the 'user' (a kid) lost an eye. They ended up settling just to get out of extended court and lawyer costs. All the legal warnings meant nothing in court. We dropped that product.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-10-2023, 10:14 AM
So now we have to drink cold coffee at Mickey D's?? And we wonder why that hand basket is parked out front and where are we going?
Had enough yet???

Dave Hoback
01-10-2023, 11:11 AM
So now we have to drink cold coffee at Mickey D's?? And we wonder why that hand basket is parked out front and where are we going?
Had enough yet???

Stop it Mikie! You’re causing me ptsd! I’ll SUE you!:crutch::stupid:

Nor Cal Mikie
01-11-2023, 10:44 AM
Brother Dave:
I don't think I'll be around for when the REAL SHTF so I just plan ahead.
I could be around longer and still return fire, from a sitting position. ;)
And I've figured out this country is circling the drain counterclockwise, starting in DC. :eek:
Sue me? Got nothing, but whatever I have, I'll change into Travelers Checks and take it with me.

Dave Hoback
01-11-2023, 10:46 AM
You said it!:(

wbm
01-11-2023, 06:29 PM
Yep he did! For a lot of us.

Nor Cal Mikie
01-12-2023, 08:48 AM
And if you don't like what I say, what are you going to do? Take away my birthday?
Too many folks afraid to SPEAK THEIR MINDS. Just going along to get along.
Every one of them would make a good politician. :(