PDA

View Full Version : Just joined, comments on Savage MSR

Samuel
01-07-2023, 02:08 AM
Hey all!

I wanted to weigh in on the MSR-10 issue, but first, I am a career Marine vet, retired, Gysgt. small arms ordnance. I'm like everyone else, have built a few AR's here and there among other things. I have a MSR-10 in Creedmoor, and an axis II, also in Creedmoor. I want to say that the Savage MSR-10 is solid as a brick you know what. Anybody who is questioning the quality of an MSR either doesn't own one or needs a urinalysis. The only valid complaint is the weight is a bit front heavy, which when compared to other AR-10 platforms isn't that bad.

I personally do not care for collapsible stocks, so I replaced mine with a Magpul MOE. I am running Burris RT-6 optics. Every system has pro's and con's, but considering the adjustable gas port, the top shelf components, and the spot on ergonomics, I rate the Savage MSR up there with the very top of AR platforms.

I am somewhat disillusioned with the factory's lack of support; regardless of the current situation on the MSR platform if the rifle was in the catalog this recent, there should be at least some discourse, especially for something as simple as trying to replace the stock.

Sam

Dave Hoback
01-07-2023, 02:43 AM
Welcome aboard Gunny!;)

Glad you like yours. Not exactly sure what you mean on discourse for replacing the stock, but sounds like you mean they should maybe have other stocks for it? Or do you mean info on how to replace it? Either way, that’s not Savage’s bag. Understand, the MSR line are no different than any other manufacturer’s AR15/AR10. They aren’t special parts only Savage can source. They don’t even make most of the parts for their MSR line I’ll bet. Your rifle is using either Armalite(AR-10), or DPMS(LR-308) style parts. And, of course it may or may-not have some inconsistencies from others of its style. Unfortunately that’s just how all AR10’s are, because they were never standardized like the AR15 was.

ragsflh
01-07-2023, 09:45 AM
welcome,thanks for your service

Samuel
01-07-2023, 11:28 AM
Hey Dave, Thanks for the input. What I was referring to on the stock issue is that there is a information black hole concerning the MSR platform on the Savage website. If you were to contact Savage, They currently do not want to even admit they made an MSR, let alone point you in the direction for aftermarket parts. Don't get me wrong, this isn't my first rodeo. When modifying weapons, I am big on staying OEM when possible. Savage made the first gen (hunter, I think) with Magpul furniture. They wouldn't even confirm or deny that fact. All I asked them was if the Magpul MOE stock was compatible with the lower receiver without having to buy one and try to install it, which is what I did.

Samuel
01-07-2023, 11:30 AM
Hey Rags:
Thank you for the kind words; I kept the bars and discos free from the commie aggressor. Glad to have served.