PDA

View Full Version : 6.8spc carbine

Prairie Drifter
01-06-2023, 10:06 AM
6.8spc w/ 20" bull barrel, vintage T/C stock and High Plains fore end.

https://i.postimg.cc/RFmhspkd/Photo-Room-20230105-163210.png (https://postimg.cc/kVj7DsXR)

BT
01-06-2023, 10:32 AM
Another real beauty!

Bobby Tomek
01-06-2023, 11:15 AM
That's the prettiest factory TC buttstock I have seen. It's the perfect complement to that HP forend.

What model Vortex are you running on this rig? It looks to be a 30mm tube, but I couldn't quite tell from the photo.

J A XSP
01-06-2023, 11:32 AM
Sweet! I've become a fan of the 6.8 in Contender. I think it's easy to push the pressure a little high in Contender with some of the published loads I've seen but with some care it's a great round in this platform.

Bobby Tomek
01-06-2023, 11:38 AM
You guys are killing me LOL. Now I definitely have the wants for a new stock set.

J A XSP
01-06-2023, 11:42 AM
You guys are killing me LOL. Now I definitely have the wants for a new stock set.

You're an easy mark, Bobby!!! :heh::smile-new:

Prairie Drifter
01-06-2023, 01:55 PM
What model Vortex are you running on this rig? It looks to be a 30mm tube, but I couldn't quite tell from the photo.

1" tube. Not a real expensive scope but works well for me.

Prairie Drifter
01-06-2023, 01:58 PM
That's the prettiest factory TC buttstock I have seen. It's the perfect complement to that HP forend.

I actually like the stock on my 250 savage better, but it's a close race lol.

TRM-1
01-06-2023, 08:58 PM
WOW! That is another awesome looking setup!

penrod72
01-07-2023, 11:53 AM
I opened this thread because I saw 6.8 spc - I have a new to me (for 2 years) 6.8 barrel I have not shot and cannot decide to sell or shoot. (23" bull from TC). I bought it because I have an AR in 6.8 that is my go to deer rifle. The TC barrel I can't decide about is because I also have a 7 TCU barrel and I think they fill the same niche...so I want some more 6.8 info to help make up my mind.

But now my real question - you guys have beautiful stocks - how the heck do you justify taking them and shooting/ hunting with them? Mine only wears plastic - my "nice" wood stock scares me to bring outside (which is stupid - why own it if you hide it in the safe?)

Anyway beautiful rifle - among many guys have on here!

J A XSP
01-07-2023, 12:11 PM
I opened this thread because I saw 6.8 spc - I have a new to me (for 2 years) 6.8 barrel I have not shot and cannot decide to sell or shoot. (23" bull from TC). I bought it because I have an AR in 6.8 that is my go to deer rifle. The TC barrel I can't decide about is because I also have a 7 TCU barrel and I think they fill the same niche...so I want some more 6.8 info to help make up my mind.

But now my real question - you guys have beautiful stocks - how the heck do you justify taking them and shooting/ hunting with them? Mine only wears plastic - my "nice" wood stock scares me to bring outside (which is stupid - why own it if you hide it in the safe?)

Anyway beautiful rifle - among many guys have on here!

I can tell you my reasoning to have 6.8 SPC.
Even though I reload, I like the availability of factory ammo (Hornady Black 110 v-Max shoots extremely well for me). Resale value on non-wildcats barrels is better and if my kids want to keep stuff after I'm gone, they'll have an easier time finding ammo.
The case capacity difference between the 6.8 and the 7TCU gives advantage to the 6.8, especially in a 23" barrel.
Bullet selection probably goes to the 7mm but the Hornady 110 V-Max is widely available and seems to be a perfect bullet for the 6.8. Velocity and performance probably edges toward the 6.8 but not by enough to tip the balance.
You should definitely give the 6.8 a try before you sell it, IMO.

Prairie Drifter
01-08-2023, 10:06 AM
[QUOTE=penrod72;508120

[/QUOTE]

Life is too short to hunt w/ an ugly gun

BruceP
01-09-2023, 08:08 AM
Another beautiful stock set.