PDA

View Full Version : Savage axis 2 6.5 Creedmo with extraction issues...

Obbelisk
01-06-2023, 03:10 AM
SO my first savage rifle, bought on the cheap from bass pro on black Friday. I finally got out to shoot it yesterday and I'm having an issue. This is the savage axis 2 xp with the accutrigger. The round chambers fine, fires fine. The bolt lifts ok, but then when I try to pull the bolt back to extract the brass it is stuck. If I pull pretty hard I can pull it out by hand. I only fired 4 shots, on the third shot the bolt was hard to lift. Since something was off, I put the rifle away for the day, brought it home cleaned and oiled it again. I was shooting Sellier & Bellot 140gr FMJ. I watch a lot of videos with people having good luck with that ammo for plinking so I bought some.

Cleaned the gun again, and torqued everything again. Gun cycles live rounds just fine. I put one of the spent brass into the gun and it drops right in, close the bolt on it and its stuck when I try to eject it. Again I can put it open but it takes some effort. I measured the brass with calipers to see if there was an issue with bulging, but everything was fine. It is basically the same as an unfired cartridge.

Sooo, I tied a piece of thread to the brass and stuck in back the chamber, just to see if it was sticking in the chamber and tried to pull it out like that. It comes out with no effort. So now I'm looking for a next step...

Is there a common fix? Should I try other ammo to see if the problem continues? Should I just contact savage about the issue?

I don;t think it's the ammo, have seen lots of people use the same ammo but that doesnt mean it isn't the ammo either.

Anyway, I appreciate any feedback you guys can offer!!

prdatr
01-06-2023, 10:14 AM
I doubt it's the ammo. Sounds like the headspace might be too tight.

wbm
01-06-2023, 10:29 AM
Should I try other ammo

Yes.

Dave Hoback
01-06-2023, 10:38 AM
Other ammo first…. ALWAYS! Different brand, a few different if you can. Never start diagnosing firearm issues on one type of ammunition.

Obbelisk
01-06-2023, 03:01 PM
Other ammo first…. ALWAYS! Different brand, a few different if you can. Never start diagnosing firearm issues on one type of ammunition.

Yes.

Thanks, I'll pick up a few different boxes and try them out. Hopefully get to the range on Wednesday.

Dave Hoback
01-06-2023, 03:33 PM
While many understand the leading failures associated with firearms, those being two different FTF’s(Failure To Feed) & (Failure To Fire); and two different FTE’s(Failure To Extract), & (Failure To Eject), most people never truly know the actual main causes of these four failures.

The predominant cause of firearm “failure” is improper handling, usage, etc. It’s the people themselves..user error as it were. This is followed by, and I’ll say these two are so close I’m not certain we can distinguish which is the higher cause however, are Magazine issues & the 3rd being, of course, Ammunition related.

Just that we as human beings are so eager to blame the object, rather than anything we could have done ourselves. And the reasoning being that if we have a box of 20 or 50 cartridges, and 10% or 20% DON’T fire, it must be the firearm since most fired. Especially if that ammunition or even that brand had been used in the past with no problems. This is counter intuitive actually. The above scenario would have me suspecting ammunition straight away.

charlie b
01-06-2023, 05:50 PM
Hopefully it is just that brand of brass/cartridge.

When I have rounds stick in the chamber like that it is usually due to high pressure loads. Resized brass and factory loads cycle ok, but, fired case does not.

I would also clean the chamber well. Get a chamber brush on the end of a piece of cleaning rod, oil it up and spin it with a drill (slowly working in and out). Then clean with patches and try again.

Obbelisk
01-07-2023, 12:18 AM

When I have rounds stick in the chamber like that it is usually due to high pressure loads. Resized brass and factory loads cycle ok, but, fired case does not.

I would also clean the chamber well. Get a chamber brush on the end of a piece of cleaning rod, oil it up and spin it with a drill (slowly working in and out). Then clean with patches and try again.

Thanks! That was actually the first thing I did, I used a .45 brush and made sure it was clean. I kinda hope its the ammo and no gun problem, but I did just buy a bunch of it lol. We shall see!

charlie b
01-07-2023, 10:59 AM
Yeah, cross your fingers :)

Turkeytider
01-07-2023, 05:58 PM
Thanks! That was actually the first thing I did, I used a .45 brush and made sure it was clean. I kinda hope its the ammo and no gun problem, but I did just buy a bunch of it lol. We shall see!

Be sure to come back and let us know how it goes. I always hope that it`s me and not the gear. Usually it is!

Obbelisk
01-11-2023, 07:23 PM

Yeah, cross your fingers :)

Be sure to come back and let us know how it goes. I always hope that it`s me and not the gear. Usually it is!

OK, so I got out to the range today. I picked up some Winchester 6.5 deer hunter something or another i forget lol. Anyway, after cleaning the rifle again, I ran a .45 brush through the chamber to make sure it was clean. Went back to the range and put in 4 rounds and it ran flawlessly! I then switched back to the original ammo that was sticking and it ran perfect as well!! Not sure myself but I think when I did the first cleaning I just did a bad job cleaning the chamber. Thanks so much for all the advice!! I didn't have a lot of time to shoot it today, my wife was with me and we were having some fun with the .22 Ruger. Next week I'll try to get out and get her sighted in and broken in a bit more, once I do I'll make a new thread with some group pics. Thanks again!!

charlie b
01-11-2023, 09:00 PM
Congratulations!

Yeah, sometimes the stuff the factory uses is quite difficult to get out. Then, firing it with a bit of grit tends to make it stick worse.