PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on 6.5 Grendel in G2 contender

TRM-1
01-05-2023, 07:33 PM
Would you choose a 6.5 Grendel in a G2 contender over a 6.5 x 30-30 AI? I am contemplating a new custom barrel and Trying to decide which way to go. I have a 6ARC barrel in the G2 and love it. I also contemplated the .224 Valkyrie as a potential chambering. I would appreciate any and all input and opinions

sunnysmarine
01-06-2023, 12:32 AM
easy to find dies brass and ammo Grendel or Valkyrie, cool factor the AI

FyrepowrX
01-06-2023, 12:52 AM
Biggest advantage for the grendel would be readily available cheap dies, factory brass, & live ammo, if for you that is of any appeal. I recently ordered a SSK carbine barrel in Grendel, and have had a 14" pistol SSK pistol barrel in 6.5grendel for a month or so; i just finished up some test loads to put the pistol barrel through the paces but havent yet found time to get it to the range. In fact, the barrel, the scope, and the rings are all still in their separate boxes & havent even been officially introduced to each other yet...i need to go fix that.

The grendel was a curiosity to me for use in the contender, kind of wanted to see how i'd like it in the T/C, in both short & long barrels.

That being said, i've now taken a few deer in past years with my 24" 6.5x30-30 Ackley, and then 2 more with that same barrel this year; its been an absolute hammer on stuff that shoots flat without beating me up. Will have to admit i was a bit skeptical when i first got that barrel as i was totally in love with a .25x30/30 Ackley for along time (still am i guess), but the 6.5 kills stuff just as dead, with the same low recoil.

Downside of course on that one, dies cost a good bit more, and if you dont enjoy case forming, etc, that may be an issue.

I've left the 6.5x30-30 Ackley sighted with a load that has worked well for me on deer; and plans are (hopefully!) to work with the Grendel carbine using some lighter varmints weight bullets & see if i can find a good load for called coyotes, etc. Barrels dont always like what i WANT them to like, so will see how that works out, for all i know it may hate light bullets, but going to give it a whirl.

Bobby Tomek
01-06-2023, 12:59 AM
I'll echo what Sunny and G both said. For me, I prefer Contender 6.5s be based on 30-30. or similar brass, but I have to admit there is a certain appeal to the easy access of loading components for the Grendel.

J A XSP
01-06-2023, 11:40 AM
easy to find dies brass and ammo Grendel or Valkyrie, cool factor the AI

Completely agree with this^^^. About the only downside to any of the Bullberry or x30-30 chamberings is lack of dies. Even if you're okay with spending hundreds of dollars, it'd probably take a year or two to get dies made. It is possible to get around that by using standard 30-30 or AI dies for sizing as needed and other available dies as neck dies and bullet seaters. I use 25 Savage dies to load for 25 Bullberry and I believe one could use 6.5 Creedmore dies for the 6.5 rounds.