PDA

View Full Version : Flat back LA rethreaded to 8-40: need help with finding scope base

Klr650
01-05-2023, 06:12 PM
Hello
I have an old 110E that had the scope base threads stripped. Had a smith recut them in 8-40. Im having trouble locating a scope base for a flat back long action in 8-40. Prefer one piece picatinny.
I’ve found Murphy Precision has bases that will work, but they are over $160 and I prefer not to spend that much on a base if other quality options exist.

With that out of the way and for those interested I bought this 110 over a decade ago with the intention of starting a build. I have a new 20” barrel in 30-06 heavy hunter profile, have refinished the stock, was rattle canned before. Previous owner had it bedded and it actually has a really great trigger for a hunting rifle. The stripped threads kept me from building for years now I’ve hit the bullet, payed someone who knows what they are doing but am at a stand still.
thanks all.

J.Baker
01-05-2023, 10:40 PM
Not sure if EGW offers anything for the older flat-back actions, but I do know they can offer their rails for either screw size if you call them. Another option would be a Ken Farrell base. It's not a true picatinney rail, but more akin to a 1-piece Weaver rail with multiple slots front and rear and a solid non-slotted area in the middle. They don't list an option on their site for your rifle with the larger screws, but they could likely open up a standard 6-48 base for you to take the larger 8-40 screws before shipping it out to accommodate your needs. Been 10-15 years since I bought one of their bases, but IIRC they used to be around $80-90.

https://www.kenfarrell.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_28&product_id=329

Klr650
01-05-2023, 11:08 PM
Not sure if EGW offers anything for the older flat-back actions, but I do know they can offer their rails for either screw size if you call them. Another option would be a Ken Farrell base. It's not a true picatinney rail, but more akin to a 1-piece Weaver rail with multiple slots front and rear and a solid non-slotted area in the middle. They don't list an option on their site for your rifle with the larger screws, but they could likely open up a standard 6-48 base for you to take the larger 8-40 screws before shipping it out to accommodate your needs. Been 10-15 years since I bought one of their bases, but IIRC they used to be around $80-90.

https://www.kenfarrell.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=20_28&product_id=329

Thank you very much. I had not noticed those details on their websites but I will make some calls. Cheers.

Dave Hoback
01-05-2023, 11:22 PM
The Murphy rails also have the Flat rear 110 LA bases and offer 8-40 upon request. They are either Stainless Steel or the ultimate in 6AL4V Titanium! But they are quite expensive. One day I’d like one in Ti.
https://www.murphyprecision.com/savage-flat-back-pre-2003-long-action/

Another option is using a standard 110 LA Flat Rear Talley, or Warne, & having a machinist or that same Gunsmith machine the rail also for 8-40 screws. I doubt it costs much. Hell, I could do it.

Klr650
01-06-2023, 01:37 PM
The Murphy rails also have the Flat rear 110 LA bases and offer 8-40 upon request. They are either Stainless Steel or the ultimate in 6AL4V Titanium! But they are quite expensive. One day I’d like one in Ti.
https://www.murphyprecision.com/savage-flat-back-pre-2003-long-action/

Another option is using a standard 110 LA Flat Rear Talley, or Warne, & having a machinist or that same Gunsmith machine the rail also for 8-40 screws. I doubt it costs much. Hell, I could do it.

Thank you, looks like EGW makes a kit with drill bit and 8-40 screws. Think I’ll go that route as I can not really justify paying double for the Murphy rail unless there is a tangible difference

Robinhood
01-06-2023, 02:15 PM
Then there is the drill it out method and you will need to counter bore for the head. I have had to do this more than once. Having access to good tooling helps.

Dave Hoback
01-06-2023, 02:31 PM
Thank you, looks like EGW makes a kit with drill bit and 8-40 screws. Think I’ll go that route as I can not really justify paying double for the Murphy rail unless there is a tangible difference

The Murphy Stainless & Titanium rails are only worth it to the individual wanting one. Are they both stronger, more robust than any of the 7075 Billet rails? Indeed they are. But is that extra strength needed? Well, no, it is not. So why do I want one of their Titanium rails? Because it’s unique & the highest quality available. It’s the same with anything we deal with.

But I can assure you a standard rail modified for 8-40 screws will work extremely well.

Klr650
01-17-2023, 04:55 PM
An update to anyone looking for info on this in the future.
I emailed EGW and got in touch with their CS, asked them if they could do an HD base in 8-40 for an old LA and was told to order the product I wanted then email them back with my order number, they would take it from there. Did that and it shipped a few hours later. Great experience so far.
Thank you to everyone who posted up thoughts on this, the internet can be a mean place and I appreciate the help.
cheers.

Dave Hoback
01-17-2023, 06:08 PM
Good deal!