PDA

View Full Version : 93R17 for my momma. (Bit of back story)

Dave Hoback
01-04-2023, 03:56 PM
My mother came to me recently & said she was interested in learning to target shoot with a rifle. She shot 22lr as a child & enjoyed it, but neither her or my father ever had any firearms while my siblings & I grew up. But they were both always PRO 2A. I’ve told the story before of my father serving in the Marine Corps in Vietnam, ‘69-‘70. He was also on the Honor Guard and stationed at Camp David, under Nixon. (One day, Nixon asked to borrow the 12ga shotgun in the guard booth from my father, to which he replied: “I’m sorry Mr. President. No, I can’t allow you to use any of my firearms.” Of course Nixon knew that. It was just him joking with one of the marines helping guard him. My father said Nixon was likable & joked with him & several other Marines at times. Any-hoo.. I gave my dad his first handgun as a civi. The Colt Combat Elite clone I’ve shown, that I built & gave him for Fathers Day. That was the first firearm in their home aside from a pump 22LR my dad had when they were newly weds, but got rid of before any of us kiddies came along.

Sorry for the longer back story, but felt it necessary to explain that they weren’t anti-gun.. just wasn’t their thing. They were all in favor of me learning when I was 12yo, through a battalion group in my church at the time. (Much like Boyscouts) Fast forward now & my momma at 70yo, now wants to learn & go target shooting. I think the 93R17 will be perfect for her. I know she isn’t going to want anything with recoil. Not even 223, although I’ll likely have her shoot my AR’s at some point. But to start, and with the prices of both rifles & Ammo, I think the 17HMR makes the most sense. Nor recoil, accurate & it’s in the price point she wants. (Of course my she has sticker shock of most things… but she knows it, LOL!) She is not fancy in any way. My mother is very humble, married since she was 18 & had 7 children. When all but two of her children were grown, (my younger brother & one of my sisters), she went to college & did a nursing program. She became an incredible dialysis nurse ultimately becoming a supervisor for Devita Home Dialysis training. My father passed away over two years ago she just retired the same year. I guess, now she is doing many of the things she never had a chance to. Although I offered to take her shooting whenever she wanted, from 2008, while I was an active Firearms Instructor even! She just was not interested then. So that’s the plan now.

bootsmcguire
01-04-2023, 09:05 PM
Never too late to take it up. A .17 should fit the bill nicely. Hopefully .17HMR is plentiful in your neck of the woods, around here its like hens teeth which is why I tend to stay to 22LR or 22WMR. Been pondering picking up another 93FV as I let me last one slip away some years back. Good for Momma and hopefully she enjoys it and gets to relive some of those childhood memories and make some new ones.

Dave Hoback
01-04-2023, 10:25 PM
Never too late to take it up. A .17 should fit the bill nicely. Hopefully .17HMR is plentiful in your neck of the woods, around here its like hens teeth which is why I tend to stay to 22LR or 22WMR. Been pondering picking up another 93FV as I let me last one slip away some years back. Good for Momma and hopefully she enjoys it and gets to relive some of those childhood memories and make some new ones.

Thanks Boots. I actually get all ammo I don’t reload, online. And 17HMR is everywhere online. Also, this isn’t something she’s gonna want to do every week even. I just think the 17HMR will be a little nicer shooter for her. Little more POP, and range than 22LR, and better accuracy over 22WMR. (For roughly the same cost.)

Alguapo
01-04-2023, 11:51 PM
Love my 93R17 GV Savage Great at the range and in a P-dog field. Find the best torque for the stock bolts and play with several different brands of ammo to find the best one for your rifle. Have a blast.

thebeav
01-05-2023, 08:24 AM
I love my Savage 93R17, stainless varmint.
If only Savage could figure out the poor magazine feeding issue. It's a pleasure when working smoothly, but will give me a problem 5 or 6 times per box of ammo.

Turkeytider
01-05-2023, 08:35 AM
I love my Savage 93R17, stainless varmint.
If only Savage could figure out the poor magazine feeding issue. It's a pleasure when working smoothly, but will give me a problem 5 or 6 times per box of ammo.

Had the same problem with magazines. If you haven`t already, try these. I did both of these. Not sure if either or both solved the problem, but no more feeding issues.

1. Remove the bottom plate on the magazine. A flat head screwdriver and some tapping should do it. Remove the spring and reverse it 180 degrees ( top becomes bottom and vice versa ). Reassemble.
2. When loading rounds into the mag, press down on the back of the round. Particularly important with the last (top) round in the mag. You`re trying to lift he the tip of the round up slightly so it will feed better into the chamber.

J.Baker
01-05-2023, 12:06 PM
The .17 Hummer is a fun little cartridge, but it's been my experience that the ammo is very inconsistent. Somewhere around here I have chrono data where I shot 50 rounds of 3 or 4 different types of ammo over the chrono and the extreme spread for all of them was ridiculous (like 200+fps ridiculous!). That alone has pretty much soured me on the little 17.

If it were me, I'd just stick with a 22LR. Ammo's cheaper and usually much easier to find when the market goes nuts. 22LR production never stops, but the 17HMR production lines are shared with 22WMR production. Pretty sure CCI is still making all the 17 HMR ammo no matter who's name is on the box.

thebeav
01-05-2023, 12:55 PM
I've been meaning to reverse the springs in my magazines, just haven't gotten around to it.
I do always push the rear of the to case down. The problem seems to be worse with the 10 round mag.

bootsmcguire
01-06-2023, 12:45 AM
Thanks Boots. I actually get all ammo I don’t reload, online. And 17HMR is everywhere online. Also, this isn’t something she’s gonna want to do every week even. I just think the 17HMR will be a little nicer shooter for her. Little more POP, and range than 22LR, and better accuracy over 22WMR. (For roughly the same cost.)

Yeah online purchase helps a bunch I bet for availability. I never really found the 93FV 22WMR I had to lack accuracy (unless I was shooting the Winchester Dyna-points, those were pure junk), it liked the CCI Vmax load and the TNT load was a close 2nd. Consistently head shot tree rats out to 125yds so I never figured I needed more for that purpose. A HMR has been on my bucket list to try out but its a ways down the list at the moment lol. Regardless of chambering choice I am glad your mom will get some trigger time.