PDA

View Full Version : Any way to shorter the bolt throw/height?

Sh40674
01-03-2023, 10:07 PM
Have a LH short action circa 2007 I just picked up. Only issue is the bolt throw can just come into contact (at least with the scope that came on it)
Any way to shorten the throw height or a different handle? I don't care if it's close as it's a hunting rig just don't want it tapping the scope

Dave Hoback
01-03-2023, 10:16 PM
What bolt do you have now..Picture? Can’t shorten the throw, but yes you can replace it. However, if you have the standard short bolt handle already, that’s the shortest one. You’d have to custom make one shorter. I can do that. Many others as well. Most people just take care of them hitting by the scope adjustment in the rings or on the rail. Most prefer a longer bolt bangle as it’s the number one deterrent of heavy bolt lift.

J.Baker
01-05-2023, 11:42 AM
Most likely going to need a longer bolt handle with a tear-drop style knob on it. The longer length will put a skinnier section of the bolt handle shaft where the knob currently is to give a little more clearance for the scope.

Sh40674
01-08-2023, 11:58 AM
Thanks guys.. working 14 hour days so I haven't had time to sit down with it. When I get a chance I'll look and also mock up the scope I plan on using to see if there is a difference. I'll check into a different bolt handle. Any preferences on brands that are somewhat cheap?