PDA

View Full Version : Case Trimming?

Pages : 1 2 [3]

Ernest T
01-29-2023, 07:14 PM
one of my Kids asked how much the stuff in my shop was worth. LOL A LOT MORE THEN YOUR MOTHER THINKS! I would power it also!

Ernest T
01-30-2023, 06:30 PM
The Forster got here quick from Midway USA. It's a lot easier to trim the cases with this than the manual Lee case trimmer! No wonder you guys like it so much. Seems more accurate too. I haven't used the 3 in 1 case mouth cutter yet, but I'll give it a try once I shoot my way to some empty cases.

I need to wrap the melamine with walnut to protect the edges and it'll be good to go.

PhilC
01-31-2023, 10:38 AM
The Forster got here quick from Midway USA. It's a lot easier to trim the cases with this than the manual Lee case trimmer! No wonder you guys like it so much. Seems more accurate too. I haven't used the 3 in 1 case mouth cutter yet, but I'll give it a try once I shoot my way to some empty cases.

I need to wrap the melamine with walnut to protect the edges and it'll be good to go.
Very similar to how I attach mine to the bench. :thumb:

engnman
02-08-2023, 10:21 AM
This
I've been using a Lyman Universal hand-crank trimmer since 1980 or so. Indexes on the head.

Ernest T
02-08-2023, 11:42 AM
I ordered the original case trimmer and the 3 in 1 trimmer head and the base seems too short to trim a 6.5 CM case - you don't have enough room for the case to fir between the collet and trimmer head. The base that came with the original case trimmer is 5 3/8" long, does anyone know if the 6 1/2" base is long enough to trim a 6.5 CM case?

Mr.Snerdly
02-08-2023, 01:44 PM
I think it is perfect. I bought a used RCBS trimmer and it was far from accurate. The Lee gets them all nearly perfect and it is faster, at least if you have a small drill and I don't know anyone that doesn't have a 1/4" or a 3/8" drill.

PhilC
02-08-2023, 02:25 PM
I ordered the original case trimmer and the 3 in 1 trimmer head and the base seems too short to trim a 6.5 CM case - you don't have enough room for the case to fir between the collet and trimmer head. The base that came with the original case trimmer is 5 3/8" long, does anyone know if the 6 1/2" base is long enough to trim a 6.5 CM case?
I use the 3 in 1 trimmer for 6.5CM with the short base on my original trimmer and it works fine. Move the stop/adj collar all the way to the handle, plenty of room.

Ernest T
02-09-2023, 01:45 PM
I use the 3 in 1 trimmer for 6.5CM with the short base on my original trimmer and it works fine. Move the stop/adj collar all the way to the handle, plenty of room.
I couldn’t see how you could do that given that there didn’t seem to be enough room between the collet and cutter. Now I feel like an idiot! I was just loosening the collet enough to release the case. Once I backed it out 3-4 turns there was plenty of room! Thanks.

PhilC
02-09-2023, 05:48 PM
I couldn’t see how you could do that given that there didn’t seem to be enough room between the collet and cutter. Now I feel like an idiot! I was just loosening the collet enough to release the case. Once I backed it out 3-4 turns there was plenty of room! Thanks.
I like simple. :thumb:

Texas10
02-18-2023, 11:28 PM
I've gravitated to the index off the shoulder trimmers, both the Worlds Finest Trimmer by Little Crow Works https://www.littlecrowgunworks.com/ and the worlds cheapest trimmer by Holub Machine. http://www.newhighpower.com/brass-trimmers.html

Both do the job, but the Holub, made of delrin, seems to allow the case to wobble a bit more. I use both on a bench mounted drill press and can go through 50 cases in about 10 minutes. To verify that my trim length is optimum, I use a borescope camera to actually look at the chambered case and watch where the case mouth positions relative to the start of the leade. No guessing with this method, I know exactly how long the case neck can be and since both my trimmer and the actual case reference off the shoulder, there's no chance of getting into an action-disassembling pinched bullet situation. Seen it happen to a shooting buddy, and it ain't pretty!

Dave Hoback
02-18-2023, 11:38 PM
Yeah, I use the Little Crow for my 260 Rem. Unfortunately I’m going to have to switch up again, as I’m planning to go to 260 AI this year. Oh, wait a second… NO, I won’t have to buy a new trimmer after all…;)