PDA

View Full Version : Which Savage did I buy?

HankG
12-03-2010, 11:45 AM
Hi folks,

For Christmas, I decided that I wanted to purchase my first deer rifle. My dad found a Savage at his local Walmart and I asked him to go ahead and pick it up for me since none of my local Walmarts carry firearms. The rifle is chambered in 270WIN, is all black, has the accutrigger, came with a Simmons scope, and was $400. I know it's not the Edge/Axis as those don't come with the accutrigger and are a little less money, so which model is it? Unfortunately, I don't have the rifle yet and my dad doesn't really know what to look for. They had 10XP under it, but I don't think that is correct. Thanks in advance!

Uncle Jack
12-03-2010, 12:17 PM
Go to:

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/models/

Then choose Center Fire and look under the Package Series. It sounds to me as if you have the 111 FXP3.

uj

HankG
12-03-2010, 12:24 PM
That looks about right. Thank you for the quick reply!

Chuck1024
12-03-2010, 02:05 PM
Wow! If you got that, lucky you! I've been searching high and low for that pkg and the best I can find online is $499. I settled for the FCXP3 package from Big 5 in California -- without Accutrigger -- for $399.

The $499 would have cost about $650 by the time I got it into Cali and to my home. $399 local became $465...

I hope you got what you think, but I suspect it's the version without Accutrigger. But I wouldn't know because none of the Walmarts in the Bay Area sell guns!

Have fun! Nine more days waiting for me...

HankG
12-03-2010, 03:25 PM
I just had my dad take it out of the box and it does have the accutrigger (it has the silver piece on the trigger and there was something attached to it talking about how it works), but it also has a sticker that says it's a 110. Does $400 for a new 110 w/ accutrigger and cheap Simmons scope seem fair?

I'll have to get some pictures of it up this weekend sitting beside my CMMG AR, Dan Wesson 1911, old Winchester .22, and Mosin Nagant.

Chuck1024
12-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Sounds like a fantastic deal!

Fortunately on this fine forum Mr Furious created what look to be easy to follow, detailed interactions on how to adjust a regular 110 trigger manually. So I'm still psyched!

http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/index.php/topic,19414.0.html

godale
12-03-2010, 10:47 PM
you better look for glass usually those scopes are throw aways... :(

hailstone
12-04-2010, 06:53 AM
Noticed in my weekly gun store juant that a basic Savage rifle with plastic stock and regular trigger runs $300. DBM or hinged floor plate adds $100, accua-trigger adds $100 and a wood stock adds $100. When I see a price tag it is self explanatory but sometimes you get supprised. That's when bargins happen although I some times wonder if a mistake was made or if its really a bargin. I've asked my dealer several times and have received a range of answers from overstock, been in inventory too long, discontinued model etc.

Rob96
12-04-2010, 08:36 AM
A couple of months ago I picked up a Model 11 package in 308 with Bushnell scope, no accutrigger or stock for $279. Even with the factory trigger setting it shoots pretty well. Groups are running about .75moa with 150gr Remington Core Lokt.

camel24hrs
12-04-2010, 03:54 PM
Back at the beginning of November I purchaced a Savage package from Walmart in Louisiana. What I got a was a 30-06 Model 110 with a synthetic stock and a cheap Bushnell 3x9x40 on it. The label on the box had "17464 Mod 110FXP 30/06 AT". I had no idea the 110 was sold with a synthetic stock. It had accutrigger and the barrel is free floated. After 16 rounds the Bushnell scope bit the dust. Walmart gave me 70 off a Nikon Prostaff 3x9x40 BDC. Love the way the rifle feels and shoots. Paid 384 for the rifle package. And the Nikon was 100 after they knocked off 70. So I was really happy with the deal. This is my first Savage. I have always shot 700 BDLs in the past. I have never had one of them group like this rifle does with factory ammo. I was absolutely stunned by its accuracy out of the box. First deer with this rifle was on Nov 21st. A nice 8 point. What a way to break in a rifle!

HankG
12-04-2010, 04:56 PM
Just got picked up the rifle and it is definitely the 110 with the synthetic stock and the accutrigger. Can't wait to shoot it! I didn't realize it was so easy to adjust the trigger pull with this system either.

camel24hrs
12-05-2010, 10:06 AM
Hank, Make sure the screws on the rings and mounts are tight. The one I got had loose screws. That led to the cross hairs in the scope breaking I believe and was the reason I was having difficulty sighting in. Once I put the Nikon on and lock tighted the screws I fired one round made my adjustments and then one more adjustment after the second shot and then it was dead on. You will love this rifle.

HankG
12-05-2010, 12:45 PM
Hank, Make sure the screws on the rings and mounts are tight. The one I got had loose screws. That led to the cross hairs in the scope breaking I believe and was the reason I was having difficulty sighting in. Once I put the Nikon on and lock tighted the screws I fired one round made my adjustments and then one more adjustment after the second shot and then it was dead on. You will love this rifle.

You called that one. The screws definitely needed to be tightened up. Thanks for the advice!

I just ordered a Nikon Prostaff. Cabelas has them on sale for $99 plus another $20 off for orders over $100, so I figured I had to give it a try. If anything, it should be better then the Simmons Blazer scope that came on the gun, right?

HankG
12-05-2010, 08:55 PM
By the way, here's a quick shot of it:

http://i56.tinypic.com/9jg1fn.jpg

camel24hrs
12-05-2010, 11:44 PM

You called that one. The screws definitely needed to be tightened up. Thanks for the advice!

I just ordered a Nikon Prostaff. Cabelas has them on sale for $99 plus another $20 off for orders over $100, so I figured I had to give it a try. If anything, it should be better then the Simmons Blazer scope that came on the gun, right?

The rifle I had came with weaver mounts and rings and the Nikon tube was to short to use them. I end up having to run to Bass Pro and pick up some Leopold mounts and rings to put the Nikon on. So you may find yourself in the same boat. Have you tried it out yet?

HankG
12-06-2010, 12:15 AM
Not yet, I just ordered the scope this weekend and it may be another week before it ships because it's on backorder.

Should I get one of those bore sighters since I may be replacing the rings and mounts?

camel24hrs
12-06-2010, 09:25 PM
If you have a gun vise or some other means of holding the rifle still, pull the bolt out and look down the barrel and line it up on something. Then look through the scope and set it to match what you see down the barrel. Then at the range try a 50 yard shot and adjust from there as you should be on the paper somewhere. I had a buddy who had a bore site this time. I have not hunted or owned a gun in 20 years till I bought this Savage 110. Just getting back into it. But back in the day that was how I would line up a new scope on a bolt action. Worked real well.

chadster73
12-07-2010, 12:26 AM
Hank, I bought one of those exact same rifles late summer... same .270 caliber and everything. I won't bore you with every little detail of my journey down this new and exciting thing we call "savage"... but after some work on the reloading bench my rifle shoots 1/4 to 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards and about an inch at 200 hundred (give or a take a tenth depending on the wind.) I am now the biggest savage fan and will never look back.... ever! If you ever have any questions or would like to talk more on this please email me at chadster73@hotmail.com