PDA

View Full Version : Converting centerfire to Muzzle loader

piki3e
12-27-2022, 06:18 PM
I recently purchased a savage ml2 barrel with breech plug and vent liner. I am interested in building it into a muzzle loader with a savage centerfire action. I currently have a long action with 308 bolt face that isn't being used that I would prefer to use over purchasing a short action. What are my options for a long action conversion? Any help is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
John

jpdown
12-27-2022, 06:51 PM
I don't believe that can be done. The Savage 10ML-II action and bolt system are not the same configuration as a Savage centerfire action.

Dave Hoback
12-27-2022, 07:09 PM
It has been & is done today. https://www.prbullet.com/savage215.htm

Guess it’s ok:noidea: Sorry… Muzzle Loader jawns aren’t my bag man.

piki3e
12-29-2022, 10:55 AM
That product looks interesting. Has anyone here tried it?

J.Baker
12-30-2022, 01:49 AM
Only question would be if the ML2 bolt head is compatible with your long action due to the difference in tail lengths on the bolt heads and the location of the retention pin.

piki3e
12-30-2022, 04:50 PM
Only question would be if the ML2 bolt head is compatible with your long action due to the difference in tail lengths on the bolt heads and the location of the retention pin.
Can you elaborate on that? I am unsure what that means. I do have a short action to use if the long doesnt work but the long action is from my late fathers gun and I am hoping to use put it into use as a muzzle loader instead of it sitting unused in the safe.

I would also be interested in hearing if anyone had experience with the produce linked above.

Dave Hoback
12-30-2022, 05:08 PM
Can you elaborate on that? I am unsure what that means. I do have a short action to use if the long doesnt work but the long action is from my late fathers gun and I am hoping to use put it into use as a muzzle loader instead of it sitting unused in the safe.

I would also be interested in hearing if anyone had experience with the produce linked above.

Jim is referring to this. https://www.savageshooters.com/content.php?131-Savage-Bolt-Head-Configurations

piki3e
12-30-2022, 07:08 PM
Ok thank you! Yes the correct bolt head for the long action seems to be an issue. I messaged arrowhead and they said they dont sell one. I have seen, in looking around online, that a few people have the correct bolt head but I am not sure where to procure one.

Dave Hoback
12-30-2022, 09:35 PM
I would think the Short Action is the way to go, like the link I posted. Seeing as the 10ML has a really short breech length, I’m not sure the Long Action should be used.

bootsmcguire
12-31-2022, 11:28 PM

I cannot say I have any 1st hand experience with that product, however I myself had been looking at ordering one for my back burner Smokeless ML build. I since have found another from Arrowhead that I will be trying. I had a custom made smokeless ML barrel made some years ago that I put a few interesting design tweaks into. Unfortunately I have never been able to locate a 10ML-II bolt head and the modified head I was intending to use brought on some complications, so I am going to try this one linked below. Appears to be a good product, and is intended for the short action.

Jim and Dave, wasn't there an aftermarket (forgive my ignorance on the proper term here as I am currently having a brain fart) front nut on the firing pin assembly that was longer for use on the LA firing pins to allow the use of a SA bolt head on a LA bolt? I believe I have one in my parts bin somewhere, but as I recall there is no package or details on a name or manufacturer with mine.

https://www.arrowheadrifles.com/product/savage-sa-cf-muzzle-loader-209-bolt-head/

Dave Hoback
01-01-2023, 12:18 AM
Jim and Dave, wasn't there an aftermarket (forgive my ignorance on the proper term here as I am currently having a brain fart) front nut on the firing pin assembly that was longer for use on the LA firing pins to allow the use of a SA bolt head on a LA bolt? I believe I have one in my parts bin somewhere, but as I recall there is no package or details on a name or manufacturer with mine.

Thats the Firing pin Stop/Adjustment Nut. I’ve never seen heard of a longer style of that part Boots. But that would would be more Jim’s territory. There are Two different length firing pins for Long & Short Action. That’s all I’ve ever seen.

bootsmcguire
01-01-2023, 12:27 AM
Yeah just dug in my parts box and found it. No name or markings.

I have a LA and a SA pin assembly here and the Adjustment nuts (thank you for the correction there, could not think of it :tea:) are the same length and this one is .125" longer, which is the difference in length of the stems of the bolt heads LA vs. SA, which would allow the use of the smaller SA head on a LA firing pin assembly.

Dave Hoback
01-01-2023, 12:36 AM
Ill be. Always good to learn another little tid-bit on Savages! Much obliged my friend. :thumb: