PDA

View Full Version : Mid vs rear grip

Redleg11B
12-22-2022, 10:16 PM
Not familiar with the bolt SP's, but was wondering the differences in perceived recoil between the two.

BobT
12-23-2022, 08:41 AM
I prefer the mid grip for hunting, it just seems to be a little easier to get into a stable shooting position. I like rear grip pistols for shooting from the bench. The recoil impulse is completely different as well with the mid grip guns having much more muzzle flip. I currently have only a couple of bolt guns but both are mid grip guns but I guess all around the rear grip is my favorite.

Blue Avenger
12-23-2022, 09:21 AM
About the only thing i can add to what Bob said is, The bigger caliber they are, The more I lean to rear grip with brakes. The hands can normally accept more handgun recoil then a shouldered rifle. My .416 was a 1 shot bench, 3 shot standing and 12 shots after cutting down for a striker. Not directed at you, But someone that who may have damaged there hands and has pins for repair will want to stay away from the big stuff.

jimreed1948
12-23-2022, 10:54 AM
I'm strictly a rear grip shooter now. I had a very nice XP in .223 in the mid grip style and just couldn't shoot it. It was a right bolt, McMillan stock, good trigger, but I just couldn't shoot it. I always shoot from a rest and never could get it stable. Maybe if I added an arca rail it would have helped out the stability of it.

I shoot my 2 rear grips from the same rest as the mid grip was shot from and they're very accurate.

Dan L
12-23-2022, 08:29 PM
I agree with Bob
Center grip has alot of barrel flip
I only shoot from the bench of a one piece rest so I have all Rear Grip now

Dan

bootsmcguire
12-23-2022, 09:05 PM
I have both, a mid grip Savage Striker in 444 Marlin and a rear grip striker currently wearing a cut down 243 sporter barrel. Of the 2 I like the mid grip better for hunting, as BobT said above it just feels better and quicker to get on target. I can't really give a good judge on recoil just because I would be comparing apples to oranges with my setups. Besides the major cartridge differences in my 2, the 444 has a brake I made with large vertical ports that mostly eliminate muzzle flip and is a 15.5" heavy Varmint taper barrel. The 243 has a radial brake currently and is a sporter taper barrel, but the biggest difference is that the rear grip stock is one I machined out of a bar of aluminum so it is pretty hefty. I would say that shooting from a rest my rear grip lets me do more fine adjustments and thus lends itself better for target work.

Redleg11B
12-24-2022, 10:16 AM
Thank you for even more than I asked for, or even thought about. I had the thought of a left bolt right eject something for varmints and range use. Before I got serious about looking I wanted to figure out grip location that would work well for my intended uses and provide a softer feel. A 6mm of some flavor from the 6X45 up to a 243 would most likely get the nod.

Blue Avenger
12-24-2022, 10:56 AM
They also favor different rests depending on terrain. Rear lends itself better to BiPod. Centers off a tree limb (with a glove for scratch protection)

BobT
12-26-2022, 10:40 AM
Thank you for even more than I asked for, or even thought about. I had the thought of a left bolt right eject something for varmints and range use. Before I got serious about looking I wanted to figure out grip location that would work well for my intended uses and provide a softer feel. A 6mm of some flavor from the 6X45 up to a 243 would most likely get the nod.

One of my bolt guns is an XP100 chambered in 6x45, it's a really good shooter and I like the cartridge a lot.

Blades
12-26-2022, 05:42 PM
i have small hands , and pretty light duty all over. all my xp's and savages are midgrip ( got TC also which of course are rear units). Not bench shooter but a lot sillywet in the past. For me I have more control on the boomers with the mid grip. I have to really concentrate on hanging on to my 35Rem ( 180-200 gr pills) in the tc with a heavy 14" barrel. It really flips.