PDA

View Full Version : New from TN

chance-dg
12-21-2022, 06:07 PM
Hello all, I found a Savage/Stevens 67E 12 ga. in the gun safe I have never fired I bought it 20 some years ago to help out a fella in Montana. 50 bucks I think. It has a 23" ribbed barrel and a screw in choke. On the location of the barrel for choke info. It has a cat head looking thing in the under score no asterisk or number. The choke measures .720 id at the muzzle end and .738 id at the skirt end. the choke has 3 concentric rings around the body and it will only screw in to the top ring. not flush, I see there would be no room at the end to unscrew/screw the choke any farther as the rib would prevent a good grip on the knurled ring at the top . Is this some kind of screw in variable choke and are there replacement chokes available??

It has practically no wear marks or handling marks other than the usual safe bumps etc. Sling swivels and an ugly brown ventilated recoil pad and an awful trigger. cast? alum trigger guard or plastic??

Is this worth getting chokes for it. Maybe for a starter shotgun for my grandson when he is a bit older?? It takes 2 3/4 and 3" shells.

Thanks for any info on this one. It is the only Savage or Stevens firearm I have ever had so far.

Dave Hoback
12-21-2022, 07:53 PM
Welcome with us. Wish I could help.. Unfortunately, Savage/Steven Shotguns are not part of my forte. No, I’m more of a Benelli M4 kind of shotgun lover.. hehe;)

chance-dg
12-21-2022, 11:16 PM
Welcome with us. Wish I could help.. Unfortunately, Savage/Steven Shotguns are not part of my forte. No, I’m more of a Benelli M4 kind of shotgun lover.. hehe;)

I have a 12 ga Ultralight and just sold my Black Eagle. It was just too damn big. I love my Benelli and my old Ithica Sweet 16 37 switch barrel. I had forgotten all about this pump till I found it rearranging the safe.

ragsflh
12-22-2022, 09:19 AM
welcome

J.Baker
12-22-2022, 04:41 PM
Welcome! Info on the old Savage shotguns is hard to come by. Not sure when Savage started offering choke tubes in their barrels, but if you could provide the first few digits of the serial number I might be able to narrow down a date of manufacture to a specific year which may help in the long run. If I get the time I'll rummage through my catalog collection and see if I can find any info on choke tubes, but off the top of my head I don't recall ever seeing anything but I wasn't exactly looking for that info either. I do know on the newer shotguns (1990's and up) Savage typically used the WinChoke pattern, but the Model 67's went out of production long before that.

It also could be a matter of someone having taken a fixed choke barrel and had it machined to accept choke tubes, in which case it's anyone's guess what style of tubes it would take. The main choke tube makers offer this service, but they typically have their own line of thin wall choke tubes for the barrels they convert. If a random gunsmith did the work, who knows what tubes he threaded the barrel for. Best bet in that case would be to figure out what the thread size and pitch is on the choke tube, and the length of the tube, then call around to the aftermarket choke makers and see if they can help match it up to a certain brand/style (i.e. WinChoke, RemChoke, Invenctor, etc.).