PDA

View Full Version : New Member from TN

chance-dg
12-21-2022, 05:21 PM
Hello all, I am active on 1911 forum, Grendel forum and LR forum but don't usually post much on the 2nd two forums. Hunter and enthusiast all of my 68 years or at least from 10 or so onward. I love all my 1911s, revolvers, bolt rifles and shotguns. I am wheelchair bound now but live on 10 acres of timber and can shoot all I want anytime I want.

I was digging around my safe and pulled out a Stevens 67E 12 ga. I have never fired. I bought it to help out an older gentleman in Polson, Montana 20 some years ago. It has very little handling marks, 23" barrel, donut pillared rib, and one screw in choke. The marking for the choke on the barrel looks like a cat head, no asterisk or number. The screw in choke has a knurled top and 3 distinct steps or circles and measures .720 id at the front or top end and .738 id at the skirt. It will not screw in to the knurled ring. or at least I haven't forced it. Even well oiled the choke tube will not screw in flush

The receiver looks to be machined steel, not pot metal as I have read. I haven't shot it as I didn't know enough how far to try to screw in this choke. The serial # is E 2715** It has a truely aweful trigger and a cast? aluminum trigger guard, sling swivels and an ugly brown ventilated recoil pad. It takes 2/34 and 3 inch shells and I hope it would make a good starter pump shotgun for my grandson to bang around in the woods with. Maybe a bottom of the boat gun or barn corner shotgun. I have much nicer shotguns he will inherit in time, I have a switch barrel Ithica 37 16 ga. from the early 60s I had Ithica go over it, replace the shell lifter and retime it. It was great little grouse rabbit and squirrel gun but it won't take the rough handling much more.

Question?? what choke do I have and can I buy replacement chokes for this 67E or is it worth my time??

Thanks and any and all information will be appreciated.

It is the only Savage or Stevens firearm I have ever had. I had an 870 Special Field with the English style stock 12 gauge I used for everything from squirrels to turkeys to doe deer in shotgun only areas for many years before it was stolen in Montana. I have a Benelli Ultra Light 12 and a SA 20 Turkish made auto loader I use for everything these days and occasionally I take my sweet 16 for a poke around the place

ragsflh
12-22-2022, 09:18 AM
welcome