PDA

View Full Version : Have the itch for a 35 rem..

Pages : [1] 2

Sh40674
12-21-2022, 03:29 AM
I'm in love with my 358 conversion and have the itch to do a 35 remington for my boy, but I'm finding limited info.
Are there any headspace guages available? How do I got about checking headspace for a novice as myself?

Donor rifle/action... long, short, caliber if I find a used rifle on the cheap?

Bolt head diameter? Is this something that a existing bolt (such as a .308) would work or would I need to swap it out?

I really like these 35 calibers, would love to do this if it's not overly complicated

Fuj'
12-21-2022, 06:23 AM
If your reloading put him right into your 358. load to the next lower node if your shooting
on the high side, and use of a lighter bullet, would work quite well. Hard to give some
advice when you don't know the age or stature of your boy. Other then that.....Contact
Northland Shooters Supply. He'll take care of barrel and gauges. As for cheap ?? Can't
go wrong with an Axis.....Now one point. Standard bolt face is .473 and the 35 Remington
is .460. It would work but I'm not advising it. Jim at NSSS may help you out there also.
A good local smith could bush the bolt head as another option but would add cost. So, I'll
just say as I did in the beginning, load down the 358 and get him out there.

GrenGuy
12-21-2022, 08:38 AM
I agree with Fuj. And I also love My 358Win. The best thing that ever happened to the 308Win was the 358Win. Those slow, heavy bullets are magical. No blood shot meat, hit a bone, no problem.

Drawing on My past, I will ask, what does Your Son want? I’m betting He would be on top of the world to get an Axis, in 6.5 Creedmore for Christmas. No problem getting ammo, no waiting. Just get out there and have fun. Youth is short and fleeting. Missed opportunities are gone when their gone.

Then the project rifle can come later, when there is time to scavenge up what is needed, with no loss of joy in the meantime.

Just drawing on My memories of lost opportunity. Good Fortune, and Merry Christmas!

Dave Hoback
12-21-2022, 11:40 AM
I’m in agreement with my compadres… go 358 Win & save yourself some trouble. The 35 Rem. is a difficult cartridge. It’s in a family of ONE, being it has no parent case and a rim diameter unto it’s own. If you are simply pulled to it, get a Short Action in 223, (or just a 223 Bolt Head if you end up with another Action), and have someone open up the 223 Bolt Face for the .460 rim diameter.

But as Gren pointed out, and allow me to expand: How old is your son? Old enough to understand cartridge ballistics to some degree? Does he happen to favor another cartridge? As fathers, we need to be mindful of & not to live vicariously through our children. I’ve done it myself. When my teenage son started in firearms, I built him his first AR15 and really went all out. Turns out, I found out what I built was for ME, for him to use. Yes, it was all good components, but it wasn’t what HE wanted. What YOU believe to be best, may not be so great for your son. Now, in your case, and please don’t take this the wrong way, but the 35 Remington is not a cartridge I would ever think of owning. I can name probably a dozen cartridges that will do everything better than it… and I can offer quite a bit of empirical evidence to back up my statement. Understand, this has no bearing on YOU using it. I’m simply trying to point out a possible point you may be falling into. Hope it makes sense.

Sh40674
12-21-2022, 11:41 AM
I don't reload nor intend to.. and I'm in iowa so 6.5 isn't legal
.35 And above is

Sh40674
12-21-2022, 11:44 AM
Can't find anything from northland that shows 35 rem

PhilC
12-21-2022, 12:24 PM
Need to call Jim and talk to him. Don't be surprised if you need to leave a message, he WILL get back to you. Their customer service is outstanding.

Dave Hoback
12-21-2022, 03:03 PM
Ahh… you have to deal with those retarded, non-sense laws from bureaucrats.

Fuj'
12-21-2022, 06:19 PM
I don't reload nor intend to.. and I'm in iowa so 6.5 isn't legal
.35 And above is

Well there is always the 350 Legend.....??

Dave Hoback
12-21-2022, 08:03 PM
Lol! I was gonna recommend that as well Fuj.. By FAR the 350 Legend has the most factory ammo. You’ve got a choice from like 20 different brands! Neither 358 Win nor 35 Rem can match the even close to the ammunition assortment of the Legend. Just do an online search. It’s actually pretty impressive how many different brands & loads are offered.

Slowpoke Slim
12-21-2022, 09:02 PM
I have a 35 Rem on a Contender pistol, and I love it. So I'm a fan. Even then, as soon as you said you don't reload, honestly, I don't think the 35 Rem is for you. Not trying to be critical, just my opinion as a 35 Rem shooter. Factory ammo is made of Unobtainium now, and likely forever more.

Just my 2 cents.

Sh40674
12-22-2022, 01:39 AM
Some good points here.
I actually owned a 350L in the past and honestly I wasn't impressed. Did it kill? Sure. But lack of blood alone was very common in the deer we took with them. I'm not going to get into it because it seems every time I bring it up people rush to that calibers defense feverishly. I just don't like it and wasn't impressed by it. Especially during youth season when our land is surrounded by green corn fields.

We switched up to a 44 mag CVA optima, but combined with the simple fact that it's a 44 and they don't group nearly as well (especially with a 10 year old shooting), plus the bullet drop to keep in mind IMO, for my son, is all too much to keep together and in mind in the heat of the moment.

I used a relatives 35 rem last year and was impressed. Just the broader shape of the bullet seemed to hit not necessarily with more energy but with more "authority" if you will. If that makes sense?

Anyways, I want to build one, I'm not going to rush in, going to see what info I can get here and then see if I can obtain an amount of ammo that will last quite a long time (it will be a deer only gun, maybe I'll get into reloading down the road and this will be the driver?) And go from there.

And honestly I just want to build one. Why? Because I just do. The same reason we all have our odd hobbies, loves and quirks.

So as far as donor rifle.. what caliber would be best as far as action length, magazine, etc..?

Sounds like the only thing is to get a bolt head resized or buy the right size one, and headspaxe checking. Anyone else do a 35 rem and run into anything or any issues?

Fordoldfart
12-22-2022, 02:32 AM
Stick with 358 Win. Drop down to 180-200 gr bullets and load down to about 2200 fps.

Sh40674
12-22-2022, 04:19 AM
I dont reload, and I would like to build a 35 rem.

I have a 358. I dont want another one. I'm not asking for advice on which caliber to use I'm asking questions on building a 35 rem

Fuj'
12-22-2022, 06:22 AM
I dont reload, and I would like to build a 35 rem.

I have a 358. I dont want another one. I'm not asking for advice on which caliber to use I'm asking questions on building a 35 rem

I did some digging and a few phone calls. First was about the bolt face size issue, and you will be
good to go on that end. Good friend of mine shoots a much smaller 6ppc rim and a few are using
the .473 bolt face so not to screw around when switching barrels to a standard rim like the 6BR.
Your clearance is way better....Next I talked to Forsters about a head space gauge as I was ordering
other things. They do not make one, and it would be a more expensive custom. Then checked with
PTG, (Pacific Tool and Gauge) They list one but they don't keep one on the shelf. On ordering one,
they make it....I also found an article of an Axis / 35 Remington build on "Grey Beards outdoors"
It was from 2011 in their forums. For some reason the link did not copy over.

I have a fondness for sgammo.com when searching or buying ammo I do not load for.

Slowpoke Slim
12-22-2022, 07:58 AM
You have a relative with a 35 Rem? Do they reload? Do they save their fired brass? That may help you get kickstarted if they do.

Sh40674
12-22-2022, 09:42 AM
I did some digging and a few phone calls. First was about the bolt face size issue, and you will be
good to go on that end. Good friend of mine shoots a much smaller 6ppc rim and a few are using
the .473 bolt face so not to screw around when switching barrels to a standard rim like the 6BR.
Your clearance is way better....Next I talked to Forsters about a head space gauge as I was ordering
other things. They do not make one, and it would be a more expensive custom. Then checked with
PTG, (Pacific Tool and Gauge) They list one but they don't keep one on the shelf. On ordering one,
they make it....I also found an article of an Axis / 35 Remington build on "Grey Beards outdoors"
It was from 2011 in their forums. For some reason the link did not copy over.

I have a fondness for sgammo.com when searching or buying ammo I do not load for.

Thank you!! I could always try the .473 and if I have issues swap it out. I will give pacific a call one I decide firmly I want to do this. I'm not going to order anything until I have an action or donor rifle in my hands.

As far as my relative, unfortunately no and no. He actually sold the rifle early this fall and ironically offered it to me for sale but I passed it up. A decision I regret lol

Dave Hoback
12-22-2022, 09:33 PM
HA! You won’t get a defensive posture from me on 350Legend. No sir! I only agreed because of the ridiculous laws you face in Iowa, and that you don’t reload. Because it does offer many off the shelf ammunition options. But I’m an AR15 guy for almost two decades, and I think it’s a garbage compared to 223 for them! Again, the only reason I see it having a point is because of stupid laws. :(

But trust me… if you aren’t very fond of it, I get it!

Fuj'
12-23-2022, 06:34 AM
Let me throw a wrench at the monkey !! I'm just throwing this out since I just seen a box
of them on the shelf at Sportsmen's Warehouse here in Erie....."338 Federal" and brother to
the 358 Winchester. $27.00 for 200 grain Federal Fusion ammo. Just saying.....

bootsmcguire
12-23-2022, 10:40 AM
I too am here in Iowa and stuck with the laws, which is why I built my 375 H&H lol. I had a 350 Legend in an AR when they first came out. Bought winchester deer season 150gr loads for it and accuracy was decent enough so I was ready to hunt or so I thought. Save y'all the story, but after a few seasons of hunting with guys that all have Legends the one discovery I hade was if you want the Legend to perform you've got to run 170+ gr loads. The 150s for whatever reason just don't drop deer. All of the guys that ran 150s had issues, the guys that ran the factory 180s had almost all DRT kills. Needless to say they all run 180s now. Me I went back to my 444 Marlin and now to my 375.

That being said, I too looked at the 35 Rem but mostly for me as a Lever gun. Still haven't pulled that trigger, and maybe never will. As for a build on a Savage, I'd try a 473 bolt head and add the .140" detent ball under it's extractor to stiffen it up. I'd look for a donor with a Centerfeed type magazine. I would think that a 308 size mag would work. As for a barrel I 2nd giving Jim at Northland a call and see if you can get a barrel from him from Criterion. I have had a couple and they are good stuff.