PDA

View Full Version : Waiting on SSK

Pages : [1] 2

ramon
12-18-2022, 11:32 AM
Still waiting on the SSK 50 frame to come out . My two newest custom gripsets are lonely. Maybe this coming year 2023 will be the time. Hope they haven't went up too much from the original price stated but know it will be some as everything has increased .

J A XSP
12-18-2022, 11:52 AM
I've talked to Marty a few times and he seems optimistic that they'll actually start shipping sometime this coming year. Who knows how long it'll take to get through the back orders and fill orders for those of us who are pretty far down the list. :rolleyes: That original price of $275 is meaningless, I'm sure. I expect to pay up to $400 and won't be surprised if they end up being more than that. Only game in town, though, so if they're as good as we hope they'll be, I'm sure they'll get snapped up and almost any price.

Slowpoke Slim
12-18-2022, 03:52 PM
I know I'd be a buyer for at least 2 frames, if the price is somewhat reasonable. Like JA said, they are the only game in town. That may drive the price up pretty steep by the time one (or two) actually get out there in the wild for us mortals to buy.

Here's hoping (still).

mrk1500
12-18-2022, 04:13 PM
You know what I have enough original frames that they can keep theirs. Flame on

Julesk
12-18-2022, 08:49 PM
I really hope they do come out soon for y'all. But if I was waiting on one I would have lost faith after the 2nd year.

ramon
12-18-2022, 09:50 PM
I have 5 original and one G2 so i am not hurting. Just wanting at least two more for my other gripsets. Have more barrel sets than i need but thats the fun of all this madness. As long as they are not overpriced i will get them when they come out.

tred1956
12-18-2022, 11:47 PM
SSK's promises are already severely compromised. It has been a LOOOONG time since the SSK-50 promise. I know several folks who paid for their SSK-50 frame WAAAAAAAY back when they ordered them. These Prices in my opinion have to be Honored. It will also make a Big statement in My Eyes as to how they intend to do business, if they don't Honor quoted price when the original Agreement was made with them by buyers signing up to take a frame when available. A LOT of folks agreed to their SSK-50 frame SET price. As far as I am concerned a Man's (or Company's) word should be Honored. SSK set the price NOT the buyers
JMHO
Safe Shooting
Doug

BT
12-19-2022, 12:05 AM
The original price will be honored to those who prepaid or got on the list initially. They’ve already made that statement.

tred1956
12-19-2022, 12:17 AM
The original price will be honored to those who prepaid or got on the list initially. They’ve already made that statement.

Sounds Great Hope it works that way. Just responding to the above post

"That original price of $275 is meaningless, I'm sure. I expect to pay up to $400 and won't be surprised if they end up being more than that."

Doug

J A XSP
12-19-2022, 12:54 AM

Yes, that's my understanding, also, after a few conversations with Marty. If you're on the waiting list but didn't get in while they were taking orders pre-paid, the price will be whatever they decide they need to get. It'll be a matter of market enthusiasm whether or not they can sustain demand to match that price. I suspect that as long as it's in the $400 range, there will be a fair number of buyers.
My dealings directly with SSK have not impressed me from a customer service perspective but I think that if they manage to make what they're trying to make, it'll be a good product. To give the benefit of the doubt, it's bound to be a really complicated undertaking to set up a whole manufacturing process for a fairly highly-engineered piece of machinery with lots of very specific and unique parts, even if you're straight-up copying a design has already been figured out and done.
It'll be very interesting to see how it all works out...and when. :)

Magnum Mike
12-19-2022, 10:58 AM
Back when this recently blew up on sp Marty advised that it was looking promising for them to be released in October ish time frame. Once again, come and gone...

KYODE
12-19-2022, 12:45 PM
Lots of people said the G2 would never happen…..it seemed like forever….but it did. It Didn’t stay long enough, but it did. :eyebrows:

J A XSP
12-19-2022, 02:01 PM
Back when this recently blew up on sp Marty advised that it was looking promising for them to be released in October ish time frame. Once again, come and gone...

Yeah...Seems like several years of Lucy and Charlie Brown football moments. :D :D :D
The only bright spot is that it seems that a few, at least, have been actually produced and teased at SHOT shows. :)

Magnum Mike
12-19-2022, 09:38 PM
My disappointment is that they continue to miss delivery dates with ZERO communication. When I spoke with Marty I communicated my disappointment that they've completely failed to communicate the delays and expected delivery dates. He agreed and advised he's been told he's not allowed to communicate details...totally bogus. I want to really like SSK but they're killing me with their complete lack of communication on their failures to get this protected completed.

J A XSP
12-19-2022, 09:54 PM
I want to really like SSK but they're killing me with their complete lack of communication on their failures to get this protected completed.

I have zero positive things to say about SSK's customer service and communication skills. :rolleyes: Marty, at least, is willing to deal directly with customers and I suspect he does more than he'd prefer in terms of carrying water for SSK.

Julesk
12-19-2022, 10:28 PM
I think it's been over 3 years. I doubt SSK will ever be run like it was when Mr. Jones was the owner.

Ed K
12-20-2022, 11:08 PM
A fairly recent inquiry to customer service concerning a straight forward custom Contender barrel of the likes JD Jones/SSK has been producing for decades yielded a nonsensical response. That didn't inspire confidence in the new SSK.

KYODE
12-20-2022, 11:45 PM
I don’t understand ssk new barrel “options”. They have the cheaper “hunter barrel”. They have really fast twist, even if not needed or desired. Coming With a fast twist, I would not always want such a long throat for heavies. They are also threaded, which can be popular for a lot of people, but nothing i want unless i planned on adding a brake. I feel like they have taken a lot of custom out of a custom.

the “premium barrel” choice is really high dollar from what i seen. :o But maybe you can get what you really want?? It turned me off to one of their barrels.

tred1956
12-21-2022, 12:27 AM
My first custom barrel was a 375 JDJ in the 1980's. It was 12 inch with full vent rib TSOB scope base and of course Magna Ported. Golf balls at 75 yards were boring (at least before the flinch set in LOL) JD Jones has probably done as much if not more than anyone for Custom Contender barrels. SSK barrels were of the highest quality. His Hand Cannons were legendary. Very seldom does a Owner/Operated company continue to be as good once sold. The new owners of SSK have gotten off to a rough start to say the least. This is a very small niche business at best. I think I speak for a lot of Contender shooters when I say we need to see better communications and more realistic projections.
I wish Lehigh Defense (New owners of SSK) the best success possible. Anything to Help Contenders
Safe shooting
Doug

KYODE
12-21-2022, 09:41 AM
Yes sir. Sure hope they survive! If not we all lose.