PDA

View Full Version : Headspace issue?

EdKin
12-17-2022, 11:08 PM
I am putting a prefit 6 Creedmoor barrel on a Savage action. Forster go and no go gauges. I have a spare bolt head w/out the ejector that I used setting the headspace. I can close on the go can’t close on the no go and can chamber a round of factory Berger 95gr Classic Hunter ammo. When I put the original bolt head with the ejector back on it won’t chamber the Same round. When I tried the no go gauge it wouldn’t get close to even trying to closing the bolt tried the go gauge and it closed but was tight. If I reset to the gauges with the ejector in then the Berger round will chamber. The best I can tell the bolt heads measure the same so do I leave it set with the ejector or what? I’ve never run into this on any of the others I’ve done. I do plan on loading for it at some point but was planning on using the Berger’s for the Lapua brass first.

Dave Hoback
12-17-2022, 11:17 PM
You need to headspace with the Bolt you are going to use. The parts are not identical no matter how close they might seem. Doesn’t matter if it’s “never been an issue” on anything else. You must ​headspace with the parts you are using.

Oh, ejector left in or out doesn’t matter. But you can’t set headspace with one bolt head, then use another.

Fuj'
12-18-2022, 06:28 AM
You set head space with the original bolt.

243winxb
12-18-2022, 09:54 AM
Set headspace with bolt your going to use.

Robinhood
12-18-2022, 11:39 AM
The only thing I can offer is that I believe my colleagues intended to express that you have to use the same bolt head. The bolt body does not make a difference in headspace.