PDA

View Full Version : Savage 99 issue

setzkem
12-16-2022, 06:32 PM
Pardon if this is an already answered or common knowledge issue, but I recently inherited a Savage 99 in a take-down model. I don't know much about these guns. I bought a box of ammo, .303 Savage, but I can't get the rifle to fire. It loads fine, but working the lever doesn't seem to set the hammer. Is this a common issue? Or is this gun destined to be a non-functioning wall hanger?

J.Baker
12-17-2022, 10:41 AM
Does it leave any indentation on the primer when you try to fire it? If not it could be a stuck or broken firing pin. If it does, the bolt may just need disassembled for a thorough cleaning or the main spring may have taken a set and need replaced.

You said you inherited this rifle - do you happen to know how long it's been since it was last used? Many old timers used to oil their guns with WD-40 or similar non-gun specific lubricant, and unfortunately over time some would dry leaving a varnish-like film that can cake-up the inner workings of firearms.

My suggestion would be to simply take it to a competent gunsmith for a thorough cleaning and inspection.

snoeproe
03-07-2023, 02:58 PM
Any model 99 in decent condition is worth keeping. As stated, take it to a gunsmith who is familiar with model 99’s and have him give it a go over and cleaning. Well worth the small investment, esp if it’s a family heirloom.