PDA

View Full Version : Tool for bolt assembly screw

oldwrench
12-14-2022, 02:29 PM
I just picked up a nice 111 in 30-06 that I am looking to clean up & see what it will do. It is a flat back pre AT with only one pillar in the stock. I was planning to take down the bolt and find there is not the usual slotted head or a hex headed screw. It looks like it may require a special tool. Has any one else come across this? I am hoping to get this bolt apart.

Dave Hoback
12-14-2022, 05:01 PM
Can you take a picture of the bolt to see it?

Robinhood
12-14-2022, 11:06 PM
Can you take a picture of the bolt to see it? Yeah, or at least an attempt at a description? Does it look like a button sticking out from a hole? If you pull the trigger does the button go into the hole? Is that hole the shape of a hex key? If that description fits, then you must de cock the bolt to disassemble it. Roll the cocking piece pin into the fired position. Then you can access the hex socket.

oldwrench
12-14-2022, 11:20 PM
Thanks for requesting a picture. I went to take a photo & realized the way this bolt assembly screw was formed, there were 1/4" flats deep in the bolt head that you could not really see. It should come apart now.
Thank you

J.Baker
12-14-2022, 11:58 PM
Thanks for requesting a picture. I went to take a photo & realized the way this bolt assembly screw was formed, there were 1/4" flats deep in the bolt head that you could not really see. It should come apart now.
Thank you

Sounds like your rifle has the "cocking indicator" that pokes through the bolt assembly screw obscuring the pocket for the allen wrench. To disassemble these you remove the bolt assembly from the rifle, then using the edge of your workbench you need to move the cocking pin (round pin on a ramp near the rear of the assembly) down the ramp to de-cock the firing pin. Once you do that you will be able to get a wrench into the pocket of the bolt assembly screw.

Reverse process for reassembly.