PDA

View Full Version : Won’t fire new out of the box

dizell
12-09-2022, 12:39 AM
New out of the box Axis 243 won’t fire. Bolt very hard to pull back up. Cycle a round in and pull the trigger and nothing. Trigger seems to be binding on the stock. Tried loosening up the screws on the stock and the bolt release seems to not bind when you pull the trigger anymore and the bolt sounds like it is hitting now. Still won’t fire. Pin barely puts a mark on the primer. Really disappointed. Bought it for my grandson to go on a hunt this weekend. Have a useless gun that Academy won’t take back. Now probably have to deal with sending it back to Savage. What happened to the quality workmanship that they claim? What a disservice to the customer

Dave Hoback
12-09-2022, 02:39 AM
Is this an NON-Accutrigger or Accutrigger model? Sounds like the sear isn’t catching- falling after bolt. AKA Slam fire. Little difficult following everything you are saying. Do you mean it has difficult Bolt Lift? And you’re saying after you loosened the Action screws the Bolt Lift didn’t feel as much?

Oh, and you said “new from the box”, but I’m just making sure… was anything done prior to testing it? Anything added first, a thing taken apart & put back together or adjusted prior to testing? Anything at all?

Robinhood
12-09-2022, 01:02 PM
Is this an NON-Accutrigger or Accutrigger model? Sounds like the sear isn’t catching- falling after bolt. AKA Slam fire. Little difficult following everything you are saying. Do you mean it has difficult Bolt Lift? And you’re saying after you loosened the Action screws the Bolt Lift didn’t feel as much? Oh, and you said “new from the box”, but I’m just making sure… was anything done prior to testing it? Anything added first, a thing taken apart & put back together or adjusted prior to testing? Anything at all? Agreed. Try using your finger to push the trigger forward as you are closing the bolt. Then pull the trigger. See if that does the trick. That is a way to test if your trigger is catching the pin. If this all works you should try tightening the trigger return spring a little at a time.

dizell
12-09-2022, 05:08 PM
ItÂ’s an Axis XP. Not sure about the type of trigger. Nothing was done to it just removed it from the box. Put the bolt in and had a hard time lifting it back up to open it. When you pull the trigger I am assuming that the bolt release is supposed to drop down when the gun fires. It dropped a little and if you put pressure on it it will drop but still doesnÂ’t fire. Tried removing the stock and the binding of the bolt release goes away. Put stock back on and binding is back barely tightening the screws. Leaving them loose the bolt release works most of the time and it sounds like the firing pin hits pretty hard but still wonÂ’t fire. Puts a tiny dink on the primer. Called Savage. They are having me send it back to them. They seem to think it has a weak spring in the bolt. I asked if they test fired their guns and was told they did. I was also told they make a lot of these guns and a small percentage of them have this problem. I really donÂ’t think mine was test fired. Guess it really donÂ’t matter much in the long run. I will make sure who I purchase a gun from will take returns so I can let them deal with returning it back to the factory.

Blue Avenger
12-09-2022, 07:09 PM
have you checked the bolt head for rub marks from a screw being a hair to long and touching it? Also if you use the long rear base screws in the front base, it will reach through to the bolt.

Dave Hoback
12-09-2022, 10:02 PM
Ok, I understand it more now. So yeah, that’s the issue. We’ve seen this before. Either one of the Action screws is too long & hitting the bolt, or there was something else, but I can’t quite remember what the specifics concerning the other similar issue. But the screws should be easy to verify. Put theAction back in the stock & torque the screws down. Then remove the bolt & look into the Action. Can you see one of the screws coming up too far into the Bolt raceway of the Action?

Dave Hoback
12-09-2022, 10:22 PM
I do remember something about the trigger pins sliding out to the side and causing hang ups or something… someone else remember that?

Have you removed the rifle completely from the stock & looked at the trigger components?

tomme boy
12-10-2022, 02:03 AM
take the safety off. :laser:had to say it

M1Garandfather
12-22-2022, 04:21 PM
Dizell: If the bolt cycles fine when the bbl'd action is out of the stock - there's the answer.. If you haven't sent the rifle back to Savage yet , check the bedding out carefully and figure out where it's binding...Just a matter of trial and error and then the problem will jump out at you.

Dave Hoback
12-22-2022, 11:14 PM
Well, he only posted twice, and hasn’t responded since the 9th. In these cases, it typically ends up being user error, or he got the answer he needed and it was remedied. But, maybe he sent it back and is waiting for their response.

Blue Avenger
12-23-2022, 09:34 AM
Well, he only posted twice, and hasn’t responded since the 9th. In these cases, it typically ends up being user error, or he got the answer he needed and it was remedied. But, maybe he sent it back and is waiting for their response.

:thumb: