PDA

View Full Version : Firing pin doesn't strike primer

Redleg11B
12-07-2022, 08:33 AM
I was out shooting yesterday with my BIL who was having problems with his 308 Win Hog Hunter. He received it back from Savage with the front action screw loose after sending it to them for the same problem described below. They said the "changed some parts in the bolt".

We got a rough zero with the newly installed open sights at 25 yards in 3 rounds, then began to shoot apart basketball sized rocks on the 100 yard berm. Out of 30 rounds total, we experienced 4 instances of the sear releasing, but no indent on the primer from the firing pin. We put those rounds to the side and tried them again later. The second time they were chambered, they all fired. This was scattered throught the rounds and did not happen in any pattern that I noticed. We were using Ingman 147 FMJ.

It happened 3 times while he was firing, and once for me. Trigger fingers fully engaging the Accutrigger blade with good follow through. At first I thought it was an ammo issue until I saw that the firing pin did not strike the primers. No indications of excessive headspace either. Trigger or bolt issue is all I am left with...ideas?

Dave Hoback
12-07-2022, 08:49 AM
If there was no primer strike, I’m sorry to say but it was likely the Accutrigger; regardless of our thinking we fully engaged it. This has come up many times, its always the Accutrigger. It’s the only part which will physically stop the pin from hitting the primer.

Redleg11B
12-07-2022, 09:43 AM
Thanks Dave. I was leaning more toward that after thinking about it last night. I've had quite a few Savages in the past and never had this issue with an Accutrigger. I try to imagine the blade is the actual trigger to make sure I have it fullt depressed and follow through with it. I'll have him shoot it some more and pay more attention to that to see if the issue goes away.

Dave Hoback
12-07-2022, 01:33 PM
If it’s continuing with frequency, might need to add a bit more spring adjustment. Or, you can always simply remove the safety blade. It will still function as a regular trigger that. The blade is independent from the trigger function. Removing it makes it no less safe than any other regular trigger.

Whynot
12-07-2022, 03:16 PM
If it’s continuing with frequency, might need to add a bit more spring adjustment. Or, you can always simply remove the safety blade. It will still function as a regular trigger that. The blade is independent from the trigger function. Removing it makes it no less safe than any other regular trigger.

From reading on this forum I can tell that you know savage triggers (better than I do)-- but I would have to push back on that last part... I have seen and heard more about savage triggers dropping the sear than any other brand (even the walker triggers)-- but it does not result in tragedy because of the safety blade. Not sure if it is that more people adjust them than other brands- or that making adjustments actually does make a difference (looking at you "adjustable" X-mark trigger)... but I would never remove the blade on a savage trigger--

Dave Hoback
12-07-2022, 06:25 PM
No, what you said is correct… I’m not disputing that. But yes, it is also due to the other part. More people mess with Savage Accutriggers, than any other… by far! And they always I unscrew that little screw-spring to the absolute lowest it will go.. some even drilling into the trigger bar so the spring can seat down further! They don’t understand this removes almost all preload, which causes very easy slam fires. The 2-screw & 3-screw Non-Accutrigger triggers don’t suffer nearly as much of the slam firing…hardly any that I’ve ever seen. Neither do the Aftermarket Non-Accutrigger triggers like the RifleBasix, Timney, etc-NONE. That’s because most people who will mess with those know what they are doing. Or they simply leave them alone. I can tell you honestly, my Accutriggers have NEVER experienced a single slam fire, follow fire, accidental fire, whatever it wants to be called, LOL. Neither did any of my 2 & 3-Screw Savages.

However, I would never eliminate the safety blade either. But that’s because I actually like the feel. And yes, I too appreciate the safety margin it provides. Same reason I like striker fire pistols with safe action triggers & firing pin blocks. I’m not a fan of external safeties on these pistols.

Robinhood
12-07-2022, 08:33 PM
The answer is increase your trigger pull weight by increasing the preload on the trigger return spring. If he wants a lighter trigger, He will need to invest in one. Before you do that ask yourself, are we placing our finger on the trigger correctly? Are we side loading the trigger or doing anything but pulling straight back? If you are confident it is not you then tighten the trigger.

Redleg11B
12-07-2022, 09:10 PM
The answer is increase your trigger pull weight by increasing the preload on the trigger return spring. If he wants a lighter trigger, He will need to invest in one. Before you do that ask yourself, are we placing our finger on the trigger correctly? Are we side loading the trigger or doing anything but pulling straight back? If you are confident it is not you then tighten the trigger.

I have decades of shooting experience and I know I was not side loading the trigger. He is just getting into shooting and has not had any coaching apart from me yesterday. He may have been. I did notice that the front action screw was loose again upon inspection after our range session, forgot to mention that earlier. I tightened it back up. Maybe that was allowing the action to wobble a little and induce a side load. Time will tell.

I have told him to dry fire it and tighten the trigger a little.

Dave Hoback
12-08-2022, 12:29 AM
Yeah.. exactly what Robin said…and I pointed out in the first response. So, Redleg… I get it man.. I know how you were certain of your actions, and I sincerely don’t doubt how it felt to you. But understand Robin, myself…many others here- we’ve seen this. Continuously! We’ve answered this same question not once or twice before. We’ve answered it over & over & over again… many, MANY times. Both in threads & personal messages. Here’s the thing: if you can go back to Forum archives Pre-Accutrigger, you won’t find this problem in posted threads. It wasn’t happening. Don’t get me wrong. I don’t mind answering the same thing. I would (and will) answer it again when another newer Savage owner asks. But again, we are 100% sure of this. Because there is simply nothing else which prevents the firing pin from contacting the primer except the safety blade. It’s beyond contestation. :smile-new:

Redleg11B
12-11-2022, 10:04 AM
And I greatly appreciate the help. The trigger was one of the things I thought it may have been, and your insights confirmed it. Of the Savages I have owned previously, I had never had the problem and needed help figuring it out.

My dad was a secondary school teacher. He had a poster in his room for his entire career. It stated simply, "Half of being smart is knowing what you're dumb at." That is why I ask questiins or seek solutions when I can't quite figure it out. Thank you again.

Robinhood
12-11-2022, 01:13 PM
Good deal Redleg. Good find on the action screw. If the stock is not pillared, that would be a great place to start to get him deeper into the sport and understand what helps accuracy. For Dave, I didn't give you credit but I was in agreement of what you said. I'm trying to help and not keep score.

Dave Hoback
12-11-2022, 04:36 PM
Good deal Redleg. Good find on the action screw. If the stock is not pillared, that would be a great place to start to get him deeper into the sport and understand what helps accuracy. For Dave, I didn't give you credit but I was in agreement of what you said. I'm trying to help and not keep score.

Oh I know Rob. I got it.. I wasn’t looking for credit.. no, I knew you just agreeing. And I was cementing you & I and whynot were all in agreement because we’ve seen it half a-kajillian times, LOL! All good. Merry early Christmas to everyone btw. :tea: