PDA

View Full Version : First day in the woods this season

Redleg11B
12-07-2022, 08:08 AM

Took the 300 Whisper for a walk in the woods. Saw 6 does, all out of range or in thicker stuff than I wanted to poke through. Wife saw a bear, brother in law dropped his rifle scrambling over downed tree tops, and we had a great day. Took yesterday to verify his zero didn't need redone, sighted in some rimfires, and prepared for today. Will be heading back out after the morning rains are done, hoping to see something for my brother in law to take home to Pittsburgh.

Wife has a G2 frame, and I was trying to talk her into something with more muscle when she talked about the bear and how unnerving it was having it walk straight at her. She is set on keeping the 360 Dan Wesson barrel as her sole hunting firearm. Will get some picture if we get anything and share those in the appropriate forum.

thebeav
12-07-2022, 12:30 PM
Any day in the woods is a good day.
I don't hunt anymore, but I'm happiest when hiding out at my cabin. Which is, of course, buried in the woods.
I get a bear visit every once in a while. They're not looking for trouble, just something to eat. I never oblige them......

Magnum Mike
12-07-2022, 09:45 PM
What bullet and load did you settle on for your 300BLK?

If your wife's 360DW is a rifle length barrel and are running a 180 pretty hot, I'd think it'd be enough for a smaller black bear?

big honkin jeep
12-08-2022, 08:14 AM
Woods walking sure takes the edge off. Sounds like a very good day.

Redleg11B
12-08-2022, 09:55 PM
I am using Federal Fusion factory load in my gun. Never had enough range time to work up a load I was happy with.

Wife's 360 is pushing a 158 JSP @ about 1950fps. I could probably push it faster, but accuracy is spot on at that speed.

Went out again today and covered new ground. Quads and calves are feeling it. Saw a lot of sign, red tail hawk, and even a shrew. Good day.

BT
12-08-2022, 11:01 PM
What is the effective range for deer with the 360 from a carbine? It’s a neat cartridge.

Redleg11B
12-09-2022, 08:30 AM
BT, I would be comfortable using it to 150 yards, probably good for 200 with time and testing. My wife limits herself to 50 yards because of Buck Fever problems. I believe I am going to get myself a 10.5" barrel and work on a load with a JHP or a WFN cast for myself to use.

wbm
12-09-2022, 09:33 AM
Went out again today and covered new ground. Quads and calves are feeling it. Saw a lot of sign, red tail hawk, and even a shrew. Good day.

"Hunts differ in flavor, but the reasons are subtle. The sweetest hunts are stolen. To steal a hunt, either go far into the wilderness where no one has been, or else find some undiscovered place under everybody's nose."
October: Aldo Leopold Smoky Gold Sand County Almanac, 1949

sunnysmarine
12-09-2022, 03:03 PM
I like the under everybody's nose spots, my favorite is just to stay in camp and let others beat the bush for me ( was SEM on SP

Redleg11B
12-09-2022, 05:12 PM
Welcome SEM. Recognized the moniker from deals we did. I like getting out in the wilds. Whether I bring meat home or not, as long as nobody is injured it is always a good day. One of these years I may not be able to, so I enjoy it when I can. Sometimes getting to the woods and sitting just in them will get a deer pushed to you when the others head out for lunch or the end of the day. Under rated some times, but a good choice.

Julesk
12-12-2022, 09:42 PM
​I haven't hunted in years but I sure like being out there.

ramon
12-13-2022, 11:42 PM
Nice to get out ,walking around looking and enjoy yourself even if you don't kill something.