PDA

View Full Version : Savage 110 Precision Quality Issue

Pages : 1 [2]

charlie b
12-13-2022, 11:33 PM
I am still with the 'send it back' if I could. If it were a 'standard' model like a 12FV or something like that, then yeah, I'd take the hit. But, spending extra for the Precision I would not accept it. Even if the thing shoots OK I'd still send it back.

Yeah, I know all the Savage barrels go through the same process, but, if Savage is going to sell a rifle like that at a premium then they need to make sure it is a premium item. Either through better quality control or just inspection. If the barrel is questionable then install it on a 'cheap' model.

And, yes, I know Savage quality is such they will 'pass' the barrel if it shoots better than an inch at 100yd. It would just really tick me off to get screwed like this on a premium model.

Patoli
12-14-2022, 10:43 AM
Well, several of us who have been around, owned, been shooting, built & worked on Savages for years… some us a decade or more, told you it’s of no bearing. But I think you had already convinced yourself it’s a problem so… good luck to you my friend.

This again is Precisely why many of us discourage newer Savage owners, and newer shooters in general to NOT buy borescopes! It never fails they convince themselves that their barrel is trashed. Regardless of it shooting well. LOL! :deadhorse:

Hello together, I own several rifles of different companies. Due to my background - yes - I borescope all of them. And -- no -- I have never seen something like that before. Not in a Remington for 700€, not in a Mossberg for 900€, not in Savage for 1300€ or some other for 1500, 1600 ..... This is a 2100€ rifle. I do not expect a polished surface. But for that price there should be some kind of quality management at savage that says "this can't be shipped to a customer the way it looks". And the question "how does it shoot"..... You by a brand new car and the day you pick it up it is totally scratched. I assume would wouldn't take that. Even if the salesman would say "have a seat and drive, it will do the job perfectly..... the main purpose of a car ist that it drives.... a scratched car body won't have any negative influence of how the car drives.." And am I wrong that a barrel that looks like that needs to be cleaned a lot more than a barrel without that much "space" where residues can embed? Next question, yes, maybe there is no impact on precision after 3, 5, 10 shoots. But how does this look like after 30, 50 or more? The gunsmith of the importer wants to see the rifle after he saw the pictures. Thats why they told me to send it to them which I did. I assume that if this wouldn't be an issue at all, they would have told me to keep it because it is no problem!?

Dave Hoback
12-14-2022, 12:26 PM
Here’s my thinking: if this barrel shoots really good and you send it back, you may well get a barrel that doesn’t shoot as well. So which is more important? How it shoots? Or how the inside of the barrel looks? If you want to take the gamble, go for it.

Tparrish
12-14-2022, 01:04 PM
My nephew has a model 14 in 7mm-308. The barrel looks like the inside of a sewer pipe. But boy does it shoot. 1/4 to 1/2 MOA What Dave asked How doe your rifle shoot?

Patoli
12-14-2022, 01:28 PM
Here’s my thinking: if this barrel shoots really good and you send it back, you may well get a barrel that doesn’t shoot as well. So which is more important? How it shoots? Or how the inside of the barrel looks? If you want to take the gamble, go for it.
If it is that way, I am sure they will not do anything with the rifle and send it back to me with an info that they did some test shots and it works fine.... In Germany changing a barrel is not that easy! This is a large effort and takes weeks or months until you get it back. Lots of bureaucracy! The barrel has a serial no. as well as all other relevant parts. If the changs "something" with a serial no. over here it is a mess because of the national gun register. It also has to pass the whole process in the proofhouse again etc.

Dave Hoback
12-14-2022, 05:18 PM
That’s why we keep asking you How it shoots? Is it accurate right now? Have you even tested it?

Let me explain it more. Let’s say you swap it out and a new shiny barrel comes back to you and it shoots 1moa groups. But maybe THIS barrel shoots 1/2MOA despite the machine marks in the barrel. Which would you rather have? More or Less accurate?

prdatr
12-14-2022, 08:07 PM
Hello together, I own several rifles of different companies. Due to my background - yes - I borescope all of them. And -- no -- I have never seen something like that before. Not in a Remington for 700€, not in a Mossberg for 900€, not in Savage for 1300€ or some other for 1500, 1600 ..... This is a 2100€ rifle. I do not expect a polished surface. But for that price there should be some kind of quality management at savage that says "this can't be shipped to a customer the way it looks". And the question "how does it shoot"..... You by a brand new car and the day you pick it up it is totally scratched. I assume would wouldn't take that. Even if the salesman would say "have a seat and drive, it will do the job perfectly..... the main purpose of a car ist that it drives.... a scratched car body won't have any negative influence of how the car drives.." And am I wrong that a barrel that looks like that needs to be cleaned a lot more than a barrel without that much "space" where residues can embed? Next question, yes, maybe there is no impact on precision after 3, 5, 10 shoots. But how does this look like after 30, 50 or more? The gunsmith of the importer wants to see the rifle after he saw the pictures. Thats why they told me to send it to them which I did. I assume that if this wouldn't be an issue at all, they would have told me to keep it because it is no problem!?

Hallo Patoli,

I believe the importer is being very responsible and doing his "Due Diligence". Perhaps, they will shoot it to see if it affects the accuracy. I concur the bore scope images are troublesome. I percieve they will validate your findings and return it back to the manufacturer who will most likely replace the barrel.
This would be the best thing for you because the serial number will remain the same. Best Wishes.

Patoli
12-15-2022, 08:51 AM
Hallo Patoli,

I believe the importer is being very responsible and doing his "Due Diligence". Perhaps, they will shoot it to see if it affects the accuracy. I concur the bore scope images are troublesome. I percieve they will validate your findings and return it back to the manufacturer who will most likely replace the barrel.
This would be the best thing for you because the serial number will remain the same. Best Wishes.
Dear prdatr, thanks for your feedback. I will keep all of you informed about the outcome. As I see in your "Location" you are from Arizona. Another state beside Texas I would love to live. Congrats! Best regards P.

Patoli
12-15-2022, 08:53 AM
That’s why we keep asking you How it shoots? Is it accurate right now? Have you even tested it?

Let me explain it more. Let’s say you swap it out and a new shiny barrel comes back to you and it shoots 1moa groups. But maybe THIS barrel shoots 1/2MOA despite the machine marks in the barrel. Which would you rather have? More or Less accurate? Hi, I just had a few rounds. Only zeroed the scope on 100m and then 5 rounds on 300m. Accuracy was not better then my Remington 700 in .308 Win.