PDA

View Full Version : Current carbine lineup

Pages : 1 2 3 [4]

FyrepowrX
01-12-2023, 11:07 PM
the reece is a tiny wee bit slower than the .300blackout, but not enough for the critters to notice.

For deer/pigs/etc i've been using the barnes 110 TTSX, and those would plow through both shoulders on deer; the Tac-TX barnes blacktips are the best thing to ever happen to small .30's so i 've gone that route. it actually shot the TTSX's a bit better, but the tac-TX's are so much better on impact i've gone to those.

It also shot quite well with 110gr V-Max's, and i have kept some loads made up with those for varmintng & plinking as those are way better priced....back when Hornady had their Z-Max green tipped zombie killers i stashed away some of those, and the green tips were about 1/2 the price of what the red tipped ones are now.

more recently i tried Nosler 110gr tipped Varmageddons & it shot those really well with my first loads, so when i eventually run out of green tipped zombie slugs i'll stay with those.

from Carson's load data booklet (and this was 15" barrel data.) I also have an 18" carbine in 30reece, i need to chrono those, would like to see speeds. The OTT is a 1-10" twist, my 18" MGM is a 1-12".

https://i.imgur.com/fyw6D7q.jpg

Slowpoke Slim
01-13-2023, 07:51 AM
Thanks for sharing the load data.

I think I may try and extrapolate some loads for my 256 Win mag from these, since it's on the same parent case. Powder selection on shelves these days is poor, so if I can work up loads with a powder I already have, that would be great. I may start with H-110 and AA#9, since I already have those. Starting with 75 gr Vmax's, since I still have some and I don't really want to go any heavier on this one.

BT
01-14-2023, 12:09 AM
That is some great info, Gerald. Thanks! So Hornady produced brass for this? Dies, too, I assume? I came around late when you guys were knee deep in the 30 Reece, so I missed out then. I wonder if Tommy still had one. How cool to have it in an OTT.

FyrepowrX
01-14-2023, 11:44 AM
Hornady did make dies, and a run of brass also. I kind of recall Carson telling me he did an initial run of 250K pcs of brass, or something along those lines; my first .30reece was a pistol length barrel i had bought from him...i kind of recall that being at the October big gun show and a couple of months later he sent me some brass with a note that said Merry Christmas.

Cases are easy to form, either run .357's into the die & then trim a bit, or for my plinking stuff i used .38spl brass. The .38's form a wee bit short, but then you never have to trim. I never annealed, but have had almost no case loss from splits. Back when i was shooting a .256winmag carbine barrel i found i had much better case life when annealing, but it doesnt seem to be an issue in the 30reece, i suppose since cases aren't bein sized down as much. i even formed a couple hundred out of nickel plated brass with no case loss.

That 16" OTT barrel was Tommy's, and i even still have a hundred or so rounds of the ammo he loaded for that barrel....he was always glad to hear when i told him i'd shot something with his barrel using the ammo he loaded..i've been saving those loads for hunts & not plinking with those.

I sighted the 18" MGM barrel with the Nolser Varmageddons, it has a burris 2-7x on it & fun to shoot.

BT
01-14-2023, 05:06 PM
Let me know if you run across a set of dies. I just may get a barrel someday.

It’s awesome that you have Tommy’s barrel.